Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

" Toss the glasses overboard. They aint required racing equipment. "
Shame on you, Brian! MARPOL violation!

Running water is "tenant mentality" in the real estate business. Tenants, who usually don't ever see the water bills their landlords are paying, tend to run it and let it run. On boats I think "lubberly" covers that equally well, but of course, who's to say that Jane didn't make yet another gibberation by typing "running water" when she meant "ruining water". After all, it is ruined when you toss in the candies and Skittle it, right?

As to the Swift going about her business...Isn't that pretty much SOP? You've been told to make a five thousand mile transit, to report for drydock, and there's probably a schedule you're expected to keep because that dock costs money to stay empty. Someone says "Help!" Someone else says "No problem here, I'm the captain." so what do you do? File a report and keep on schedule. Really doesn't seem so peculiar, absent a verbatim log of the communications.

Last edited by hellosailor; 08-23-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I just have to say this, because no one else has--

sailor is definately a noun, not a verb.

sailing is also a noun.
I was getting around to posting the definition of the word but I think we can take your word on it.
Old 08-23-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I was getting around to posting the definition of the word but I think we can take your word on it.
Given the course this thread has taken, I'm not sure it's wise to take anybody's word for anything.
Old 08-23-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
And you allowed Rockdawg and Jake to do what....insult the owners Harry and Jane freely.....how about a little fair play and letting them defend themselves.

You allow Smack full reign with his sarcastic comments about Jane/ Harry.....why not allow them to be sarcastic back.

Whats good for the Goose....is good for the gander..

Jake...were still waiting for that movie Rockdawg promised?
Yea, but they were not members then.
Old 08-23-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So how did Jake and Dawg save their lives? Were they in danger?
You're asking this because they could have gotten outside help, right?

Let's use a fun analogy...

You are strapped to a huge barrel of explosives, with a very long, slow fuse buring. It's a 6 hour duration fuse. When it gets to the barrel you die. You can't move or twist or get to the fuse. You look over and other loved ones are firmly strapped to the barrel too. They can't move or reach the burning fuse. You have a working cell phone. You believe that dialing 911 will get the police there in about 3 hours.

Are you in danger then? Does anyone in their right mind think otherwise? Yes, absolutely, you are in danger.

--

Along comes someone else who stumbles across your plight, cuts the fuse, and releases you. Did he/she save your lives? Yes he/she did, just as surely as the police would be saving your lives otherwise.

--end of analogy--

Even slow danger is danger. Yes, Dawg and Jake saved the crew's lives. For them to say it's no big deal, that someone else (Coast Guard, Navy) could also have saved their lives would be ingratious at best.

Regards,
Brad
P.S. I believe this is one of the reasons why people have differing views on many things -- time horizons. When you add long term effects and short term effects to a political discussion, you learn a lot.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 08-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

But Brad, the weatherman swore that there would be intense storms in three hours, four tops, so really, the only question is whether the fuse was waterproof, wasn't it?
Old 08-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post

Even slow danger is danger. Yes, Dawg and Jake saved the crew's lives.
Uhhh, that seems like quite a stretch, to me...

George B's very considered and informed analysis of their track would not seem to support such an assertion... There appears to be negligable difference in their VMG towards Hawaii between 'pre-mutiny', and 'post-mutiny', after all...

Quote:

Smack, can you use your computer skills in reproducing for us the track’s from Yellow Brick? (link below) You might find the track very interesting. You can see that they were pretty much always below the rhumb line and pretty much the southernmost boat in their division. You can see pretty graphically that the wheels fell off at the halfway point. I suspect that this is about the time when reality and fatigue set in for the crew resulting in a series of really poor decisions being made. They probably lost a day here in their bickering and inability to set a single course. When they did their final course change to fetch Hilo, they were closer to Honolulu, albeit, the AP most likely couldn’t hold the deep wind angles required. Knowing that Tropical Storm Flossie was bearing down on the main island, why would they go there (impaired judgment from lack of experience?) Also, with water running short, wouldn’t you want to stay in the shipping lane if you needed help. Heck, RIMPAC is going on at that time and you can’t swing a cat without hitting a warship when you are within 500 nm of Pearl.

Old 08-23-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Here is a picture purported to be Aquarius on another forum. I can't vouch for it, but I did a google search and its the right type of boat and fits the description.

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/c...ranspac-Mutiny

and this from facebook, apparently this is grandma waving--

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 08-23-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2013
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

WOW! 95 Pages.......I think I'll wait for the mini series on HBO.....
Old 08-23-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR351 View Post
WOW! 95 Pages.......I think I'll wait for the mini series on HBO.....
You may not be that far off. Why the camera crew?

Quote:
The Yes Men are a culture jamming activist duo and network of supporters created by Jxxxxxx Sxxxxx (JAKE) and Igor Vamos.[1] Through actions of tactical media,[citation needed] the Yes Men primarily aim to raise awareness about what they consider problematic social issues. To date, the duo has produced two films: The Yes Men (2003) and The Yes Men Fix the World (2009).[1] In these films, they impersonate entities that they dislike, a practice that they call "identity correction". The Yes Men operate under the mission statement of lies and exposing truth. They create and maintain fake websites similar to ones they intend to spoof, which have led to numerous interview, conference, and TV talk show invitations. They espouse the belief that corporations and governmental organizations often act in dehumanizing ways toward the public. Elaborate props are sometimes part of the ruse (e.g. Survivaball), as shown in their 2003 DVD release The Yes Men. The Yes Men have collaborated with other groups of similar interest, including Improv Everywhere and Steve Lambert.[2]
I just love culture jamming and lying.

Jake? You have some splainin' to do!

(Somebody posted this earlier and it flew right by me at the time. Seems relevant.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-23-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.