Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Donating my Cal 29 to Charity

yeah, take the best low ball offer and move on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Sometimes that low offer is basically all that the buyer can spend. It's not likey they are trying to get something for nothing. And in most cases, you know that low-baller is going to enjoy the heck out of the boat.

Just a thought.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Yet another vote for selling to the best lowballer. If they are all lowballers then are they really lowball offers, or just the normal average offer? If not, sell to the non lowball offer.
miatapaul likes this.
Old 07-31-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Donating to a charity is a bit more complicated than most of the charities would have you believe. Or, at least it could be.

The main issue is establishing the boat's true value. Most people think i'll stick a number on it and the charity will sign off on it. And some charities will do that. Butttt, ultimately, it's not what you believe your boat is worth that counts. It's what the IRS thinks that counts. And usually that's a much different number.

I say that to fore warn you that knowing the rules on how to correctly donate your boat is of paramount importance to avoid problems down the road.

A few other thoughts here - AS for not selling it to a lowballer, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. Ultimately, what you are making is a financial decision. if the low ball offers give you more cash in your pocket, then that's the correct financial decision. Don't let your ego cost you money.

On getting the lowball offers - of course you are getting low ball offers. That's how all negotiations begin. If the offerees aren't coming up to a central meeting of the minds then they aren't negotiating in good faith. If you are getting pissed off by the low offers and not countering, then you are the problem. ( and yes it is human nature to get pissed off by low offers, but get over it this is business)

Finally, every boat buyer sees the boat seller the same way - here is someone with an alligator eating their wallet. it's what's called a don't wanter. The owner no longer wants whatever they are selling. In your case it's an old boat that has probably seen its best days with a very limited appeal in a slow selling market category. Cals weren't hot sellers when they were new, even though they are excellent boats. Sailboats in general are still in a slow market. IOW, you are in a cold market. Regardless, this old boat isn't like some old pick up truck sitting in the driveway. That truck can sit forever and it's not costing you anything. The boat- a different story, everyday more money spent on storage, insurance etc etc. Every boat buyer knows this. Nothing worse than a don't wanter boat that is costing money.

Take the money and run!!!!!

Last edited by TJC45; 07-31-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2013

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Glossa View Post
Every boat has an intrinsic value that is not tied to changes in the market. I think $8K is a good value when you consider what they're getting. Problem is most people are strapped for cash. One guy offered to trade me his gun collection. Several want to finance.

I think many buyers expect me to lower my price as fall approaches. I'd rather give it away than give them that satisfaction..... not very altruistic.

Sea Scouts is a good option but I'd like to use the proceeds to help someone in need.
Boats do not have intrinsic value to anyone but you.
shadowraiths likes this.
Old 07-31-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Watching Fast and Loud the other night and the main character says wanna know how to buy a $10,000 car for $5,000 - show up with cash.

Lowballing, it's really the way a lot of business is done.

That said, whatever method of disposal gives more money in pocket after all costs- that's the way to go!
Old 07-31-2013

Jak is on a distinguished road

You may get more satisfaction donating it, but realize most charities blow them out the doors at lowball prices. They don't care what they get for it, it's all about quick turnover. You will probably get more from a lowball offer than they will sell it for.
A boat is worth only what the market will bear, and this is a down market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
Boats do not have intrinsic value to anyone but you.
They do - it's the chainsaw value. What would the components sell for on eBay?
Old 07-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
They do - it's the chainsaw value. What would the components sell for on eBay?
And how much will it cost you to move and store everything for however long it takes to sell it.

I looked at that option for my Catalina when she was totaled. In my rough guesstimation, it was going to cost me almost as much to salvage the hull as I'd make on selling the other "stuff". There's not a lot of ROI there.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-31-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

As the owner of Cal 29 hull #163 I can assure before I bought what was a train wreck we did in fact look over EVERY Cal 29 on the east coast and all the adds nation wide

I am sorry to say every boat had some pretty serious deficiency's that fell into some type of train wreck

Item number ONE is the steel mast step which cant help but have issues with all the ways they found to dump water on a mild steel beam ends badly and involves chopping apart the head area to repair

I could make a fairly endless list BUT the bottom line is they were one of the better budget boats of there time BUT I certainly was not able to locate one that did not have all kinds of deferred maintenance issues

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat