Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Donating my Cal 29 to Charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Glossa View Post
E

Sea Scouts is a good option but I'd like to use the proceeds to help someone in need.
here is a good option

Heart of Sailing Foundation
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
here is a good option

Heart of Sailing Foundation
Wait a minute- wasn't this company involved in a previous thread?

As for Las Vegas, Shipping your boat there would be costly. They do have an active sailing community on Lake Mead:
Nevada Yacht Club -Lake Mead Sailing Club (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup
I vote that you wash your hands of it, take the lowball money and relocate.
Old 07-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

This boat?
Cal 29

When you say low ball offers what are you seeing?

There a bunch of things on this that I think relegate you to the lower offers. The removed inboard, head that doesn't work and replaced with porta-potty, mixed list of sails and condition (roller furling sails, but the boat doesn't have roller furling?), uninstalled radar all sound like a boat that is a project.

This is a size (28-30) where boats are either sold very cheaply and need work or are in very good condition and sell for $20k or more. Based on watching Craigslist for 2 years I've seen a lot priced near $10k that seem to sit for a very long time.

If you are in a rush then I'd say negotiate based on the best two lowball offers and see which one works out first. You could pull off the "excellent condition" roller furling genoa and sell it on Craigslist or eBay. Since the boat doesn't come with a spinnaker you could do the same with the spinnaker pole. Do the same with the radar, grill, autopilot, inverter, and maybe the fridge.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-31-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

My boat had been donated to charity by the prior owner and the charity simply placed it into an auto auction. I bought a 28 foot boat at that auction for $1200... the only boat sold that day when 250 cars went on the block.

My only point is that I believe the donating owner could only (legally) claim a $1200 deduction, even though the boat was worth closer to $5,000. The charity just wanted to flip it and move on.

If one of your lowballers seems particularly "worthy" (whatever that means to you) then sell it to him and at least gain satisfaction you've made someone else's day and the boat will continue to provide enjoyment.
Old 07-31-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

It's been a while and all of this may have changed, but as I recall, the deductibility depends on what happens with the boat after you donate it. My recollection is that if the charity keeps it, you may be able to deduct the value determined by a surveyor. If the charity just takes it and sells it, you get to deduct what they sell it for. Again, this is from a long time ago and a memory that wasn't that good to begin with. Before donating, ask the prospective charity how the value is determined and what's deductible. They should know.
Old 07-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I have donated a few old cars. The rules changed several years ago. It used to be that they would give you a copy of the "blue book" value, and that was always for a mint condition car, and likely four to six times what the charity will get for it. They changed the rules and now they sell it and then give you a receipt for what they got for it. I am sure you will not get more than a $1000 deduction if that.

I agree with Alex there are some problems with the boat that are going to limit you to how much you get for it. Outboard, and porta-pottie are two things that would make me not want to even look. I would remove the fact that you have been living on it for a year, as it will scare a lot of folks away, figuring it is messy and what not.

Now what are you considering low ball? You say it is worth at least 8,000 but that is what you are asking. If someone is asking 8, I would likely start negotiations at 5 or so. You are also complaining that people want to finance, yet you are offering to do just that in the title of your ad, so of course you are getting people who want to do that. If you are leaving town no way would I want to get involved in that, so why offer in the ad?

Basically you are complaining that you are getting the people you are asking for in your ad. Also ad does not mention year. But it is an old boat, made between 71 and 74? I think you are over valuing it, easy to do for something you love. Nice boat, and looks to be in decent shape from the couple of pictures. Also the YouTube video does not even have much footage of you boat. I would also keep pictures of the kids off Craigslist, as there are a lot of creeps out there!
jimgo likes this.
Old 07-31-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Get rid of the video...no one wants to watch some stranger's 9 minute home movie. Post pictures of the boat people actually want to see.
Take a low ball offer, put the money in your pocket and move on.
miatapaul likes this.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-31-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2013

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road

If I got nothing for this boat, buying it was still one of the best purchases we've ever made and the memories and the experiences that we've had on her far outweigh what we paid. I'm not really concerned about the tax benefit.

Quote:
Now what are you considering low ball? You say it is worth at least 8,000 but that is what you are asking. If someone is asking 8, I would likely start negotiations at 5 or so
Here's an example of what I consider a low-ball offer. A guy expressed interest about a month ago and after several iterations of time spent emailing back and forth, we finally set up a time for him to look at the boat. He emails afterward, saying he likes it, it's fairly priced, but he lives in Vale during the off-season so he wouldn't have any use for the boat until next spring, but for $4K he would make it disappear.

I don't know if the economy is completely to blame. I often wonder if Craigslist has maybe tipped the scale in favor of the buyer, where negotiations are often carried out via email or text, sometimes before the buyer has even looked at the boat or car. It's very easy to email or text a low-ball offer but I have yet to have someone look me in the eye and offer half of my asking price. But it appears to be effective.

I'd rather not finance but given the choice between $6,000 or $6,000 and a promissory note, it's not a hard decision. There seems to be plenty of interest but I'm running out of time and my give-a-*******'s almost broken. I might wait a week or so but Sea Scouts is sounding like a better option, the more I think about it.
Old 07-31-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Let's see.....
$4000 cash in my pocket vs. maybe a $2000 tax deduction which might net me $400-700 at tax time....
Hmmm....sounds like a no brainer to me.

Even if you were somehow able to swing a $8000 tax deduction (which ain't going to happen) you're still only going to net $2000-3000 at tax time. Now, if you're well off and can afford to donate and help out the Sea Scouts, go for it.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-31-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

At least a decade ago, the IRS plugged the loopholes of charity vehicle deductions. If you donate a car or boat to a charity today, and they keep it and use it for two years (as Sea Scouts might) then you get the "book" value of the vehicle.

If the charity puts it up for auction and sells it, as most will, you get a receipt showing what they actually sold it for, and that may be peanuts.

Selling the boat to a lowballer and giving the money to a charity might actually work out better, if you're looking to endow a charity. Heck, you could always put in on Craigslist and watch all the money orders from Nigeria come in. (G)