SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Donating my Cal 29 to Charity (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101984-donating-my-cal-29-charity.html)

SV Glossa 07-31-2013 01:14 AM

Donating my Cal 29 to Charity

I am so sick of lowballers. If I don't sell her in a week, I think I will donate her to charity.

We are moving to Las Vegas from the Puget Sound.

Does anyone have any experience with donating a boat to charity? I found a few websites but I'm concerned they might be a scam.

aeventyr60 07-31-2013 01:15 AM

Re: Donating my Cal 29 to Charity

Sea Scouts in Seattle has a good reputation.

Capt.aaron 07-31-2013 01:20 AM

Give it to Rock Dawg.

MarkBarrett 07-31-2013 06:03 AM

give it to me i would resolve it completely

smurphny 07-31-2013 07:29 AM

People are not buying anything but necessities in this economic climate. The REAL state of the US economy is much, much worse than media and government would have us believe. Selling anything of a "luxury" nature is almost impossible unless you set a giveaway price. It might be better to pay for storage and wait until things pick up (if they pick up).

krisscross 07-31-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Glossa (Post 1066973)
I am so sick of lowballers. If I don't sell her in a week, I think I will donate her to charity.

We are moving to Las Vegas from the Puget Sound.

Does anyone have any experience with donating a boat to charity? I found a few websites but I'm concerned they might be a scam.

At one time my son's Boy Scout troop got a small sailboat in charity. It was pretty easy to arrange. Just make sure they have a charitable organization number for tax purpose so you can claim a tax deduction.

jimgo 07-31-2013 09:52 AM

I was a lowballer on all 3 of my boats. Unfortunately, as the "what's a boat worth" thread illustrates, any asset is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You have 3 choices: sell it to the lowballer for cash, donate it for a tax break (which will only be a percentage of the "resale value" of the boat and may approach what the lowballer was offering, depending on just how low he/she was offering), or hold onto it.

Keeping that last option in mind for a moment, could you have it moved to Lake Meade, Lake Havasu, or the LA/San Diego area? I work with guys in the LA area who have vacation homes in Havasu. It's about a 4 hour drive from Las Vegas to Newport Beach.

SV Glossa 07-31-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

I was a lowballer on all 3 of my boats. Unfortunately, as the "what's a boat worth" thread illustrates, any asset is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Every boat has an intrinsic value that is not tied to changes in the market. I think $8K is a good value when you consider what they're getting. Problem is most people are strapped for cash. One guy offered to trade me his gun collection. Several want to finance.

I think many buyers expect me to lower my price as fall approaches. I'd rather give it away than give them that satisfaction..... not very altruistic.

Sea Scouts is a good option but I'd like to use the proceeds to help someone in need.

chuck53 07-31-2013 10:53 AM

A low ball offer will put more money in your pocket than a tax deduction. Probably, a lot more.

nolesailor 07-31-2013 11:11 AM

Lowball offer may be more than a tax deduction...but I can see the OP's point...depending on the difference, I would rather donate to a charity (or sailing school - assuming they qualify for a tax break) than agree to a low-ball offer...and you'd have whatever satisfication comes from being charitable...however, I wouldn't want to reach the limit and have to carry forward the excess over a period of years...