Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: pulled anchor and sailed away...

When I purchased this boat, I thought she was a motorsailor for the most part. How wrong I was!
In the last year we've sailed about 2000 miles in the West Indies and I doubt we have put 10 hours on the engine, and most of that is idling when leaving a crowded anchorage under sail, just as a precaution.
Most of our anchorages are north to south bays with an easterly breeze, so we must beat up into the anchorage. As the wind is generally 18 to 25 knots, we can be screaming into a bay at 7 to 9+ knots and that's just a tad fast for me. We'll douse the main about a half mile from the place we want to anchor (longer if we can't make it on one tack, obviously), slowing the boat to a more reasonable 5 to 7 knots. If the wind is especially strong, like Christmas winds, we'll still be footing it along pretty quickly, so with each tack the Yankee gets rolled up a few turns. By the time I turn head to wind to drop the pick, the Yankee can be the size of a bandanna and we are creeping up into the wind at less than a knot. As Nikki drops the pick I furl what's left of the jib and walk up to the foredeck to help her with the snub line.
We will not sail through a crowded anchorage; it's not that we can't, but why would we? We're sailing in and out so I'd rather have a bit of room around us in the morning to make sailing out easier. Not that we're out in the middle of the bay either, just not crammed in the middle of the crowd. Of course, there are those times when the bareboats scamper in at dusk and surround us like Indians around the covered wagons, but they are usually early risers, so they're gone before we even have our coffee.
We have yet to sail this boat to a dock, but since we only dock three times a year (for fuel), we haven't really had too many opportunities. Hope I never have to, though.
Old 07-31-2013

mac 2-22 is on a distinguished road

got a trolling motor it is like really peaceful. mac 22
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013

jtsailjt is on a distinguished road

There is something VERY elegant about departing an anchorage that way, especially if you do it early in the morning to avoid waking your neighbors. But here in Maine it's sort of tough to pull off because the chain is usually filled with thick, greasy, clay/mud which is great for holding but time consuming to clean off before the chain goes below. So, I almost always have the engine running and am working diligently with my washdown hose for the first several minutes after the anchor breaks free, which precludes me from sailing, at least when I'm single handing.
Old 08-01-2013

Griffinroydonald is on a distinguished road

I will back in a slip or cove if I can. I use a trolling motor for such movement and love the quiet approach. I will raise the sails when I clear the cove and catch a breeze for the morning. I have been observing more deer, turkey and geese with the trolling motor as I just sneak up on them before they know I am there.