SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   pulled anchor and sailed away... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101992-pulled-anchor-sailed-away.html)

blutoyz 07-31-2013 10:22 AM

pulled anchor and sailed away...

Now I know I am officially hooked...

Rather than start that noisy enging leaving a little cove yesterday I just raised the main, pulled up on the anchor, fell off and sailed away. Nice, quiet, and smooth as silk.

I am really starting to dislike the sound of an engine:laugher

chucklesR 07-31-2013 10:33 AM

Re: pulled anchor and sailed away...

I've done that precisely once, it was worth it.

jimgo 07-31-2013 10:43 AM

You're starting to sound like Captain Aaron. Be careful, that's a slippery slope... ;)

aeventyr60 07-31-2013 10:47 AM

Good on ya! Sailing off and on the anchor is a great skill to develop. Keep at it!

azguy 07-31-2013 12:25 PM

Sounds perfect !!

travlineasy 07-31-2013 12:35 PM

I've done this any number of times, especially when anchored in a relatively open cove and the winds are favorable. I usually put the main sail up before raising the anchor, mainly because it's easy to do and I leave the main sheet a bit loose so the boat can swing a bit without effecting anything. As soon as I'm back in the cockpit, the main is sheeted, the jib unfurled and I'm on my way to somewhere.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

SailingJackson 07-31-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blutoyz (Post 1067072)

Rather than start that noisy enging leaving a little cove yesterday I just raised the main, pulled up on the anchor, fell off and sailed away. Nice, quiet, and smooth as silk.

If there's enough wind to make the anchor difficult to pull, there is a trick to it. Raise the main, lock the tiller/wheel, and sheet in pretty tight. That will result in the boat tacking back and forth about the anchor. After the boat tacks, the rode goes limp and you can pick it up, just make sure you have it cleated off before you sail over the top of it, so it will then pull tight and tack again after it crosses over. You can get 120 feet of rode in within 3 or 4 tacks, with very little work. If you get the timing right, you'll be sailing directly over the anchor with the rode cleated off on the last pass. You'll feel a bit of a bump as the inertia of the boat pulls the anchor out of the bottom. You are SOL if you don't have the rode cleated as it goes tight and can easily get hurt. If you get the timing right and there is a bit of wind, the process described is far far less work than pulling in 100 or so feet of rode manually with a 12 knot wind against you.

If you're using a powered windlass to lift, be aware that most manufacturers recommend the engine at high idle while using the windlass due to the very high current load. Certainly a less aesthetic process.

GTJ

caberg 07-31-2013 02:15 PM

I almost always raise the main before hauling the anchor, and then usually haul and sail away. I rarely anchor near much of anything but a weather shore, so no need for the motor.

krisscross 07-31-2013 02:46 PM

On my little boat I get the sails up and luffing, pull in the anchor rode and chain so that the boat is right over the anchor, and when I sheet in the sails and lock the tiller the anchor releases without fail. I pull the anchor up all the way (almost all the way if it is covered in mud), and I get going.
I don't like using my outboard engine unless I absolutely have to.The noise and smell (it's a 2 stroke Nissan) always harsh my morning mellow so I would rather paddle a short distance than use it early in the morning. Small boats often make life easier and quieter.

Dharmabum 07-31-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blutoyz (Post 1067072)

If it was smooth as silk, I'll bet there was no one to watch!:D
Usually if I have an audience, I screw it up, ha ha