Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Cruisingdad
  • 1 Post By Seaduction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Coast Guard Tour

This post is late, but just now have time to post it.

Before we left St Pete, the USCG put on a open house. We were hesitant about it at first, but it was fantastic! It is a must see for those that can make one.

They have everything tere from their cutters and utility ships, to the smaller patrol boats. You are welcome to walk all through them and all the crew and officers answer questions. Super, super friendly people.

We got to see a c130 (is that the right plane??) fly right over us and that thing was seriously loud.

THey also do a live rescue from a helo. For those that have never seen this, it is pretty incredible. I cannot imagine doing this in a real sea, and those things are loud too. It would be great training for everyone that is going to go on a long passage to see what they do and how they do it. It was an eye-opener for us. The rescue swimmer that jumps from there is one seriously brave fellow!!

They even show you their weaponry (not loaded) and have safety classes. IIRC, the USCG (just ST Pete) had over 1400 rescues on the water last year! 1400! I forget how many millions of dollars of drugs they intercepted, but that was staggering too.

Anyways, if anyone ever gets a chance to check it out, it is well worth it. Really makes me proud of the guys and gals that are out there watching out over us. A big thanks! Kids will never forget it.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Coast Guard Tour

Thanks for sharing!

I'm a big coasty fan. While I did spend four and half years in the Marine Corps, which I loved, in hindsight (somewhat) I regretted that I did not enter the Coast Guard. My last twenty years on the water has certainly influenced that thought process.
Old 07-31-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

HOORAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
Thanks for sharing!

I'm a big coasty fan. While I did spend four and half years in the Marine Corps, which I loved, in hindsight (somewhat) I regretted that I did not enter the Coast Guard. My last twenty years on the water has certainly influenced that thought process.
kellysails likes this.
Old 07-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I was a civilian employee of the USCG a few decades ago, and met many Coasties. I agree with you, Brian, I'm glad they are there. They are the unsung heroes of our armed forces.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-01-2013

jeepjeff is on a distinguished road

Glad you enjoyed it! Years ago, when we had a slow pitch softball team we would invite the Saginaw River CG squad to a game and then would bbq after. Very good times were had by all and, although they were very competitive, we got to meet a great bunch of people.