Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013

endoit is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat ready to cruise?

I guess "cruise ready" never truly happens as the boat is constantly in need of maintanance or repairs. Unless you can do most of the work yourself the land sharks at the marinas will help you with your cruising cash. In my experiance it is hard to find a marina that will not bad mouth previous work done to your boat and they always find issues. The survey either did not reveal how much work was needed or everything just went bad after the purchase was made. If you are handy you will likely be OK.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
There is a big difference between having all the gear you need and being 'cruise ready', whatever that means. Certainly there is a continuum of boats from junk to gems but don't think you can buy a boat and take off.
I'm with KS on this.

Before buying our current boat I looked at a lot of "cruise-ready" offerings. I learned it mostly meant the boat had a lot of equipment on board, all ranging in quality and usefulness. I quickly learned to ignore the equipment list and focus on the basics: hull, deck, standing rigging, engine, tankage, etc.

New sails are fine (although "new" can be a relative term ... get the date of construction), but you'll be replacing them at some point anyway. Ignore electronics. Lots of doodads do not make a boat cruise-ready. A solid anchoring system is a good sign, but about the only piece of equipment that peaked my interest was a windvane. It signalled that the boat really had been cruised extensively, plus it is a piece of equipment that really is quite expensive and hard to install.
Old 08-01-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We bought our boat privately from a couple who were actively cruising. They were planning to list it on YW in a few months when their cruise ended but we convinced them to sell to us and not forfeit the brokers fee.

We could have left the day we bought her. Yes, it was ready to cruise. Was it the way I wanted it? No. I spent a bit of money updating systems and making the boat just the way I wanted her.

Do not overlook the advantages of doing your own refit. You will get the exact equipment you want and you will know how it was installed so repairs will be easier. Things will break and you will need to know how to fix them. Or if you have unlimited funds and do not plan to cross oceans, just pay someone else to fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

It also depends on what your definition of "cruising" is. In my searching, I met a couple who had lived aboard and cruised a boat north out of Florida all the way to the Chesapeake. They thoroughly enjoyed the boat and the cruising they had done, but in the process, they really wrecked the boat. There was no way that I would let my kids, or even my wife, aboard that boat. And it's a shame, because that make and model would have been perfect for us, but not that boat. Yet there they were, "cruising." Obviously, we weren't using the same dictionary.

Regarding the work you see being done, remember that some of them do as Mike and others have suggested and buy the boat based on the hull, standing rigging, etc., because they want to refit the boat to meet their wants and needs. I've seen blogs where they literally stripped everything out of the boat (including bulkheads, cabinets, etc.) and completely remade it. The beefed up the tabbing, added raceways for all the cabling, refitted all the hatches and ports, etc., and even changed the floorplan to meet their needs. What they got, in the end, was a semi-custom boat for much less than they would have paid to have one made from scratch.

As far as your specific situation, remember that, at your budget, you're buying a 30-ish year old boat. Back in the early 1980's, the power requirements onboard were pretty straightforward. You needed to start the engine, run the AM/FM radio and VHF, maybe a Loran, and the cabin lights. The power cables that run through most boats of that vintage are smaller because they just didn't need to handle much current. Today's boaters, by contrast, want to run laptops and iPads, watch movies on big-screen TV's with surround sound, run the microwave, refrigerator, dehumidifier, etc. To do that safely, unless the PO did it, you wind up having to gut at least some of the old wiring and run new. And, even where the PO did it, it doesn't mean it was done properly. For example, on my boat the PO ran some new electrical wiring using what appears to be non-marine wiring. Sure, when the PO ran it, I'm sure he knew what that meant as far as longevity for the wiring, but he didn't care because the cost was much lower and he would just do it again with non-marine when the time comes. Now I own the boat, and the time has come.

So, are there turn-key boats? Yes. Are they easy to find, especially in your price range? No. If you're persistent, though, you may find one, just like Tim did. One way to do this is to have a Craigslist ad asking for boats that meet your criteria. Like Tim, you may find someone who is thinking of selling, but wasn't necessarily really ready.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2013

jtsailjt is on a distinguished road

I think that if you keep looking, you CAN find a boat that's got the necessary cruising equipment but you'll undoubtedly want to personalize it to suit yourself and the things you plan to do with it. For example, about 10 years ago I bought a 44' sailboat that was "cruise ready" and the couple who owned it before me were living aboard in the Bahamas. But I decided that, though the radar worked, it was old and nearly obsolete and in Maine, where I intended to cruise, fog is common and a good radar not optional, and I also wasn't satisfied with the primitive GPS. Then, I added an Espar heater, IMHO another necessity for comfortable northern cruising. Of course all these things were considered before I made an offer on the boat. That was pretty much it for the first couple of years but as time went on I was constantly upgrading and improving various systems and I suspect you will too. For me that's part of the fun of boat ownership. I don't know what your experience level with boating is, but if you pore over the listings online, pretty soon you'll get pretty good at being able to read between the lines of broker hyperbole and be able to determine which boats have been appropriately upgraded and well cared for. I'm currently going through the same process in my search for my next boat. Good luck with your search!
Tim R. likes this.
Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
We have been doing our research and searching the listings for the right sailboat to take our little family cruising in a couple years. We've seen a lot of boats in a wide range of conditions--from excellent maintenance and obvious loving care to neglected piles of trash.

I also see a lot of boats that the owners claim are "ready to go cruising." The descriptions go on to say that the boat has either been cruised extensively and is therefore outfitted for cruising mode OR that the boat just underwent a major overhaul/refit/upgrade. I get excited about these because it sounds like they would require less money invested beyond the purchase price. At the same time, however, I read many cruising blogs that talk about when they bought their boat and how they had to do months of work changing the electrical, redoing plumbing, putting in entirely new standing rigging, and on and on and on.

So my question is this: Do boats exist that come "ready to cruise?" Can the listings be believed? I would say that for enough money of course you can get one ready to go, but I see a lot of boats listed even down in MY price range that make this claim.

I understand people want to work on a new boat no matter the condition so as to familiarize themselves with every nook and cranny, but these bloggers and forum posters sound like they are completely rebuilding the boat and its various systems, not just testing things out and getting familiar.
If I were to list my boat for sale, I would def say it is cruise-ready... as we are currently cruising on it.

As was mentioned earlier (by TIm I think), there are boats out there which are relatively ready to go, but you will probably want to add or change some things yourself. What I would suggest is finding a boat for your use that has a lot of gear on it, like the liferaft, EPIRB, Tender and motor, Davits, maybe even solar array. Just so you know, those few items on my boat add up to over $15000 my price. The life raft, as you have kids, is an especially undervalued piece of cruising equipment that is expensive to buy but generally not highly regarded as a huge plus by many first-time cruisers. DO be aware that they have to be repacked which is expensive too (can easily run a grand or more, depending on the raft). Anyways, keep looking at the cruise ready boats with the idea that they may have a lot of gear on them which you will want but probably will still require you to do some things afterwards to make it comfortable to you.

Just as an aside, there really is not a good definition for cruising. We cannot even agree on it on this site and we are all sailors! For some, cruising is going sailing for the day while for others it is fulltime, nonstop, movement and living aboard. As such, you will see a wide variety of "cruise-ready" boats, based upon one persons definition and the fact that it sounds good (via a broker).

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-01-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Cruse ready is such a vague term as to really have no meaning. For some it could mean that the boat includes blown out sails that aren't ripped (you know the ones listed as excellent shape because they are in one piece, but original to the 40 year old boat) a sextant, a set of old charts, a pair of rusty dividers, and a pencil stub. For others it means that there is a whole suite of electronics including radar, chart plotter, forward facing sonar, night vision cameras, AIS VHF, new carbon fiber sails, upgraded stainless steel ports, re-cored decks, EPERB, 20 person life raft, dingy davits, with RIB with outboard and on and on. Granted the first one will likely fit your budget, second one not likely.

Thing is only you can decide what you need. Some like KISS, others need all the comforts of home, and then some. There are those who require a shower stall, others are happy to have a garden sprayer to hose themselves off in the cockpit.
Old 08-01-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Mine was cruise ready when I bought it. Just had had an extensive refit and came with lots of spares.

Don't look in Annapolis or San Francisco, look in the 'chicken harbours ' Gibralter, Vilamoura St Maarten etc. Places where poeple have looked at the next leg and said "whoa too much. "
aeventyr60 likes this.
Old 08-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Just as an aside, there really is not a good definition for cruising. We cannot even agree on it on this site and we are all sailors! Brian
Maybe you should start a thread and try to create a definition...

(runs away)
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Maybe you should start a thread and try to create a definition...

(runs away)
HAHA! Yeah, that went over real well last time, didn't it!???

Brian
jimgo likes this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: