Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat ready to cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Yes, I am familiar with the earlier Pearson 36 that was a similar but larger version in the design series which included the Pearson 26, 30, and 10M. These boats really sailed very well for their era. The bad news on the 10M and 36 was that build quaility was not as good as it should be (crummy hull to deck joint, and formica covered plywood interiors), and the strange keel designs which always seemed vulnerable to all kinds of maladies.
Donít forget the garish colors used in the interior counters and exterior decks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
But with regards to the 365, I do not like the earliest versions with the formica covered plywood bulkheads. These boats had a smaller sail plan and frankly were undercanvassed. But in the 1980 upgrade, the sloop/cutter rig seemed to include a little more sail area and better hardware. Like you, this is the version that I like if shoal draft is a priority.

Jeff
Yes, I would say, like you, that the 1980-1983 Pearson 365ís and 367ís are the way to go and offer a lot for the dollar.

If money is tight and you can live with the formica interior, the 1976-1979 Pearson 365ís still have the great layout and tankage.

One thing about all year 365ís vs 367ís is the lack of a traveler in the 365ís.

Nothing is 100%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Right now, in my lazarette, I have ***Lots of Stuff, including*** 10g spare diesel cans...

A Spinnaker would be nice, but you can do without it (and its expensive and takes up a lot of room).
You know, diesel fuel is expensive, too... I'll bet if you removed some of those 10 gallon jerry jugs, you'd manage to squeeze a spinnaker in there... :-)

For a cruiser, no other piece of gear comes remotely close to reducing one's dependency on foreign oil, than does a free flying light air sail inventory of a spinnaker, gennaker, Code 0, or whatever...

I'm reminded of those acquaintances of yours whose spinnaker is stored in their rental storage unit, because they don't have the room for it aboard... Damn, if that's not a sad sign of the times, I don't know what is... :-)
Old 08-06-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You know, diesel fuel is expensive, too... I'll bet if you removed some of those 10 gallon jerry jugs, you'd manage to squeeze a spinnaker in there... :-)

For a cruiser, no other piece of gear comes remotely close to reducing one's dependency on foreign oil, than does a free flying light air sail inventory of a spinnaker, gennaker, Code 0, or whatever...

I'm reminded of those acquaintances of yours whose spinnaker is stored in their rental storage unit, because they don't have the room for it aboard... Damn, if that's not a sad sign of the times, I don't know what is... :-)
Jon,

You can still go downwind without a kite. I must admit though, I do miss flying a cruising chute. I enjoyed it.

Besides, it is now obvious to me that you have NEVER cruised. I am shocked, given all the great advice you have shown here. Want to know how I came to this conclusion? Because no matter where you plan to go, you inevitably are always heading the exact direction of the wind. Thus, the spi would be worthless!!!

Brian
aeventyr60 likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-06-2013

Quote:
Jon,

You can still go downwind without a kite. I must admit though, I do miss flying a cruising chute. I enjoyed it.
True, but not nearly as well...

Furthermore, the working sailplan of most production sailboats is sized to drive the boat in the condition you see it at the boat show... By the time the massive amount of additional crap that most of us cruisers carry is brought aboard, and the additional windage created by the addition of canvas and jungle gyms, with all the assorted gear is factored in, most boats will be woefully underpowered under their working sails alone... Hence, the reason why cruising sailors need a good light air sail inventory even more than any other type of sailor - if they'd prefer to sail instead of motor, that is... Why more cruisers don't appear to appreciate that, I'll just never understand...

Quote:
Besides, it is now obvious to me that you have NEVER cruised. I am shocked, given all the great advice you have shown here. Want to know how I came to this conclusion? Because no matter where you plan to go, you inevitably are always heading the exact direction of the wind. Thus, the spi would be worthless!!!

Brian
Nah, I think you're overstating that to a degree, I'd say the breeze is only on the nose a mere 90% of the time, or thereabouts... :-)

Actually, if you sail with the seasons, one can improve those odds considerably... One of the reasons the trip south and back north along the East coast makes for such a ideal winter's cruise, the prevalence of good NW-NE sailing breezes on the way down, and then SW-SE on the way back up... Sometimes one has to wait a bit for them to materialize, but when you're able to hitch a ride behind the passage of a cold front headed south in the fall, for example, sailing generally doesn't get much better than that...

Cruisingdad likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-06-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
True, but not nearly as well...

Furthermore, the working sailplan of most production sailboats is sized to drive the boat in the condition you see it at the boat show... By the time the massive amount of additional crap that most of us cruisers carry is brought aboard, and the additional windage created by the addition of canvas and jungle gyms, with all the assorted gear is factored in, most boats will be woefully underpowered under their working sails alone... Hence, the reason why cruising sailors need a good light air sail inventory even more than any other type of sailor - if they'd prefer to sail instead of motor, that is... Why more cruisers don't appear to appreciate that, I'll just never understand...

Nah, I think you're overstating that to a degree, I'd say the breeze is only on the nose a mere 90% of the time, or thereabouts... :-)

Actually, if you sail with the seasons, one can improve those odds considerably... One of the reasons the trip south and back north along the East coast makes for such a ideal winter's cruise, the prevalence of good NW-NE sailing breezes on the way down, and then SW-SE on the way back up... Sometimes one has to wait a bit for them to materialize, but when you're able to hitch a ride behind the passage of a cold front headed south in the fall, for example, sailing generally doesn't get much better than that...

Good post Jon.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-07-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

The guy can't be a cruiser, no water jugs lashed to the deck..

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
The guy can't be a cruiser, no water jugs lashed to the deck..
Nah, if I were a Real Cruiser, I'd have a watermaker, and said jugs on deck would be filled with diesel... :-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.