Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013

awaywego is on a distinguished road
Sailboat ready to cruise?

We have been doing our research and searching the listings for the right sailboat to take our little family cruising in a couple years. We've seen a lot of boats in a wide range of conditions--from excellent maintenance and obvious loving care to neglected piles of trash.

I also see a lot of boats that the owners claim are "ready to go cruising." The descriptions go on to say that the boat has either been cruised extensively and is therefore outfitted for cruising mode OR that the boat just underwent a major overhaul/refit/upgrade. I get excited about these because it sounds like they would require less money invested beyond the purchase price. At the same time, however, I read many cruising blogs that talk about when they bought their boat and how they had to do months of work changing the electrical, redoing plumbing, putting in entirely new standing rigging, and on and on and on.

So my question is this: Do boats exist that come "ready to cruise?" Can the listings be believed? I would say that for enough money of course you can get one ready to go, but I see a lot of boats listed even down in MY price range that make this claim.

I understand people want to work on a new boat no matter the condition so as to familiarize themselves with every nook and cranny, but these bloggers and forum posters sound like they are completely rebuilding the boat and its various systems, not just testing things out and getting familiar.
Old 08-01-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat ready to cruise?

No, No, No No No No No No. If there were we'd see every tom , dick and and harry out here, some folks with a ton of cash can't seem to even buy a new boat, much less go sailing or cruising. don't get excited, it's a lot of work, if your not prepared to spend a lot of time and money I'd suggest you just stay in your armchair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I think aeventyr60's response is perhaps a bit harsh.

Most people are selling boats for one of two reasons:
1) They lost interest/time/funding to use it. Usually they don't come to this decision quickly, so the boat hasn't been maintained for years by the time they decide to sell. The boat might have once been ready to cruise, but it'll now require years of deferred maint to go and probably has a lot of outdated or dead hardware.

2) They are upgrading to a larger boat. They'll probably take some of the gear from the current boat to the new one, so it might be missing some cruising essentials like a good dinghy, maybe the best anchor moved to the new boat, the grill, and other accessories.

Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who discovered that sailing isn't for them pretty quickly, but they owned a well maintained boat. That was pretty much true with my Pearson and it came well equipped and only requiring a little catch up on the maintenance. I still spent long hours of work getting it cruise ready by my definitions though.

alex
Old 08-01-2013

awaywego is on a distinguished road

A bit harsh, but so helpful, welcoming and optimistic as well. . Just kidding though...we appreciate all comments!
jimgo likes this.
Old 08-01-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Just a little reality check. Stick around, you will learn a lot. Beware of the ez solutions, get rich quick scheme style answers. No such thing as cruise ready, maybe for the previous owner, but the new owner, doubtful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-01-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Cruise ready is such a over rated, over used term, it's the same as saying " I have a carfax " not going do you much good when something goes south on ya a couple hundred miles offshore.

Shoot, I bought a cruise ready boat knowing I was going to gut the SOB to make it cruise ready and I'm STEAL working on it

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 08-01-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: typing in the dark
Old 08-01-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I think the biggest thing is that what you consider cruise ready and what the PO considers cruise ready probably only have a couple things in commen.

that being said I have heard of ships that get back from an extended trip and the owners decide that its not for them any more. so it does happen but not often.

rule of thumb I was given as a rough estimate is figure your budget use 2/3's to buy the ship the other 1/3rd to get it ready for what you want.
Old 08-01-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I think the biggest thing is that what you consider cruise ready and what the PO considers cruise ready probably only have a couple things in commen.

that being said I have heard of ships that get back from an extended trip and the owners decide that its not for them any more. so it does happen but not often.

rule of thumb I was given as a rough estimate is figure your budget use 2/3's to buy the ship the other 1/3rd to get it ready for what you want.
Old 08-01-2013

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road

Unkletoad stutters a bit sometimes
Old 08-01-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

There is a big difference between having all the gear you need and being 'cruise ready', whatever that means. Certainly there is a continuum of boats from junk to gems but don't think you can buy a boat and take off. There is actually a big advantage in having to work on your boat before you leave since you will know the details better for when something goes wrong in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.