SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Be Prepared ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/102016-prepared.html)

tdw 08-01-2013 12:49 AM

Be Prepared ?

Get this ....
Quote:

you ever doubted that you should wear a personal locator beacon (PLB) while sailing and prepare adequately when solo, here is the latest evidence, in the form of a sailor's life that would surely have been lost without perfect preparation. It might have happened in the Irish Sea, but no matter where we sail the lesson is there to remind us that 'it could have been me'.
read on ....

Sail-World.com : 'Perfect preparation' with PLB saves life of solo MOB

Great site is Sail-World.

PaulinVictoria 08-01-2013 12:52 AM

Re: Be Prepared ?

Would be interesting to find out why despite him having a kill-switch for his boat, he didn't manage to get back to it.

tdw 08-01-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 1067447)
Would be interesting to find out why despite him having a kill-switch for his boat, he didn't manage to get back to it.

I havn't but have you ever attempted to swim in a survival suit ? I'm thinking it could be quite a struggle in anything other than very flat water.

PaulinVictoria 08-01-2013 01:52 AM

More than likely, either that or his lifevest, neither are suitable for swimming, but you'd think over the course of 3 hours you'd be able to at least propel yourself roughly in the right direction. I wonder how far from his boat he ended up.

knuterikt 08-01-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 1067468)
More than likely, either that or his lifevest, neither are suitable for swimming, but you'd think over the course of 3 hours you'd be able to at least propel yourself roughly in the right direction. I wonder how far from his boat he ended up.

If I remeber this correct it was 3m = 10 feet waves.

He was only 300 m away from the RIB, he found that to be able to swim back he would have had to let air out of his PFD (he did not).

He was put back on his RIB, but abandoned his planned trip and went for the nearest port.

aeventyr60 08-01-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knuterikt (Post 1067483)
If I remeber this correct it was 3m = 18 feet waves.

He was only 300 m away from the RIB, he found that to be able to swim back he would have had to let air out of his PFD (he did not).

He was put back on his RIB, but abandoned his planned trip and went for the nearest port.

Three meters is roughly nine feet nine inches or 9 and 3/4 feet. With a little foam on top let's say 10 feet.

knuterikt 08-01-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 1067485)
Three meters is roughly nine feet nine inches or 9 and 3/4 feet. With a little foam on top let's say 10 feet.

Thank you, fixed my post.

aeventyr60 08-01-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knuterikt (Post 1067493)
Thank you, fixed my post.

While 300 meters does not seem so far, in a 3 meter swell, cold and fully clothed, with a survival suit, pretty tough going if not impossible. Sounds like he was very lucky!