Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Full time cruising, seeing a wide variety of marinas, locks, walls and fuel docks.
Carry 4 large fenders. Usually use 2 on one side for docking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fenders and Dock Boards, How Many?

three 8 x20s, and two strings of 6 "cocktail weenie" fenders (4 x 12"?) that can be strung quickly along the rubrail for raftup protection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

i carry 4 on board. good size ones. When i dock i have at least 2 on the dock side and 2 for my neighbor for when he bounces off.
For the erie canal i have blow ups 18 x 30, worth every penny when it gets squirelly in the lock.

Marine heavy-duty large inflatable fenders starting at $80! Lowest prices in USA!
Old 08-01-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

34'boat. Carry four 8X20, rarely use more than two. In my own slip I don't use them at all except when pulling the boat close for loading and unloading.
Old 08-01-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

(6) 8x22 Dan's fenders stored in anchor locker.
(2) 18" dia round Taylor fenders stored on pushpit.
(3) really big inflatable fenders stored in cockpit locker.
(1) Dan's step fender on pushpit (day sailing) or buried in sail locker (passagemaking).

You can't have too many fenders or too big an anchor.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right there with ya
Old 08-01-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

I solved the bulk problem by making two fenders out of 6 inch diameter heavy (really heavy) reinforced black hose which has a white external finish. I drilled two by 3/4 inch holes about two inches down from the top to take about three feet of rope to attach to the rail via a rolling hitch. Also holes at the other end, should I ever need to run them horizontal rather than vertical. Plus a six foot fender board which lives flat on the foredeck lashed to the toe-rail when sailing.
The boat already has a rub-rail, so I felt no need to cover the fenders to protect my paint, but they could be easily covered in socks made from old towel material.
Because these fenders are so heavy, they don't ride up on the dock and they can take a real pounding if need be. This got tested once when I got pinned to a rough jetty by a half gale with no damage to boat or fenders, while other boats got damaged because their store-bought fenders rode up and no longer did a proper job. But on my relatively small boat, being so heavy, they do need to be stowed down low in the locker. And, it is important to attach them to the rail before dropping them over the side, because they would not float.
Old 08-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Yup, truer words were never spoken...

I carry 4 12 x 29" inflatables from Aere', plus one oversize about 5' long made by Avon... If I were doing the Erie canal or similar, I'd add a couple of large round ones, as well...

I'm amazed more people don't use inflatables, they totally eliminate the issue with storage on a smaller boat, mine virtually 'disappear' when deflated... With sail locker/lazzarette space as precious as it is on a boat the size of mine, it's ridiculous to have so much of it occupied by fenders I might go months without using...

You pay a premium for these from Praktek, but they are simply AWESOME, worth every penny in my opinion... And, I see they are now offering a smaller model (9 x 22") for a very reasonable price, I may pick up a couple more at that price...

Home page

I carry one fender board about 5' long, it may double as a passarelle should I ever make it to the Med... :-)
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 08-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I carry 4 12 x 29" inflatables from Aere', plus one oversize about 5' long made by Avon... If I were doing the Erie canal or similar, I'd add a couple of large round ones, as well...
My inflatables are also Aere'. I got them at the Annapolis Boat Show in 2006 at what seemed a very reasonable price. I haven't used them often but sure have been glad to have them when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I carry one fender board about 5' long, it may double as a passarelle should I ever make it to the Med... :-)
I have two 2"x6" oak fender boards 6-1/2 ft long. I built brackets that clamp to my pushpit on either side of the stern gate and use long bolts and wing nuts to secure the boards there. Offshore I use the attached boards to secure fuel, water, and lube oil jugs.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-02-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Currently carry 3 on a 38 foot boat with good rub rails. Gets us from the cape to Maine.

When we had a 52 and sailed up in Fundy in the tides, we brought 4, a couple of fender boards, and a couple of big inflatable fenders. A few times adjusting against tides on fixed bulkheads, we were glad we had them all. Inflatables are great as they take up little room in more normal docking situations.

What you bring depends on where you cruise and plan to tie up. Agree with others that inflatables are a good solution if your situation is occasionally tricky, like tumblehome against pilings, vs rub rails that make things easier. Hard to fit everything you want on a small boat, need room for grill, fishing, dive gear, and other toys.