SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing Scotlands Great Glen in a dingy

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just returned from a walking trip in Skye and the road back followed part of the great glen in Scotland. The great glen looks like a good place for a nice quiet sailing holiday. I want to keep it cheap and I don't have loads of experience in anything more than a dinghy. I'm thinking of renting a large dinghy for a week, keeping all my stuff in waterproof bags and camping on the shore at night.

• Have any of you done this before? What's it like?
  • Is fishing good in that area?
  • Does anyone know where I can rent a dinghy for a week and then have it picked up again when I finish? I know there are companies that offer this for kayaks or canoes (which is my other option) but what about a dinghy?

Thanks.

#5 ·
yes,Wayfarer- that's the dinghy I've been trying to remember the name of all evening. I could picture it but I just couldn't think what it's called. Perfect for my brother and I to use.
What book are you talking about- link?
Yes, I always like to stay safe while having fun.

#4 ·
I don't know where to rent the dinghy.

Do a search for "sail and oar" to see how others do this type of adventure in smaller boats. Having once been a more active kayaker I'm interested in this style of sailing since it is a nice combo of the two.

#6 ·
I happened to be viewing a doco on Scotland last evening that showcased the Glen. Presuming that there are boat places you could launch from then what a fabulous wee cruise that would make. You'd want to rug up though. From what I saw it is a very popular spot in summer and bloody cold in winter.

Wayfarer would be fine but I wonder if you could hire a Drascombe ?

Bit more space than a Wayfarer. You can also rig a boom tent and kip on board in a pinch, if the weather turns really foul.

Reactions: fryewe
#12 ·
A trip round Scotland has got to be worth the while. I know I'll never sail there from Oz but a trailer sailor jaunt could be lots of fun. I'd love to do that with the Wombet. Drop the boat in at a likely looking spot, spend a couple of days roughing it then check into a half way decent pub for a decent feed and too much beer and whisky. YaY !!

Couple of locations for a certain anti heroic movie made in Scotland would be hot spots to visit.

#8 ·
Hi, I just returned from a walking trip in Skye and the road back followed part of the great glen in Scotland. The great glen looks like a good place for a nice quiet sailing holiday. I want to keep it cheap and I don't have loads of experience in anything more than a dinghy. I'm thinking of renting a large dinghy for a week, keeping all my stuff in waterproof bags and camping on the shore at night.

Thanks.
I wish I could help. I only want to say we made our first trip to Isle of Sky last month and we were overwhelmed by how beautiful it is, especially to the sailors eyes. If you go, bring us back some photos.

#9 ·
I wish I could help. I only want to say we made our first trip to Isle of Sky last month and we were overwhelmed by how beautiful it is, especially to the sailors eyes. If you go, bring us back some photos.
Wow that's a nice photo! I've set it as my desktop background. Scotland is a nice place, especially Skye. I would like to go back there some time.
I think that the trip to the great glen will have to wait till next year, but yes, I'll get some photos.

#10 ·
Have you thought of buying a cheap 20' with a small cabin and then selling it when you were done? Not sure of the availability, but here (Pacific NW) you can pick them up for under $1000 USD. Even if you sell it at a substantial loss to unload it quickly it will probably be more boat for less overall $$ than a dingy rental.

#11 ·
Yes, I've thought of that. You can get some fairly cheap boats in the uk, but I think buying one in Inverness then hoping to sell it a week or so later would be a bit risky and expensive. I think rental would probably be the best option. If I can't get anything else then a kayak is my other option.

However, this might change closer to the time- Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do this trip now till next year. Maybe next year I'll be in a better position to buy a boat. Maybe I'm planning too far ahead :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.