Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013

Alasdair is on a distinguished road
Smile Sailing Scotlands Great Glen in a dingy

Hi, I just returned from a walking trip in Skye and the road back followed part of the great glen in Scotland. The great glen looks like a good place for a nice quiet sailing holiday. I want to keep it cheap and I don't have loads of experience in anything more than a dinghy. I'm thinking of renting a large dinghy for a week, keeping all my stuff in waterproof bags and camping on the shore at night.
  • Have any of you done this before? What's it like?
  • Is fishing good in that area?
  • Does anyone know where I can rent a dinghy for a week and then have it picked up again when I finish? I know there are companies that offer this for kayaks or canoes (which is my other option) but what about a dinghy?

Thanks.

Last edited by Alasdair; 08-01-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Scotlands Great Glen in a dingy

GREETINGS EARTHLING What you need is a Wayfairer read the book by Dag Pyne who sailed on of these all aver the North Sea Loads of sound information and great practical instruction on preperation. AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Old 08-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Alas - welcome to SN dude.

I'm in Texas so I have no idea. But I will say your plan sounds like a seriously cool adventure. Make it happen brother! And take pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I don't know where to rent the dinghy.

Do a search for "sail and oar" to see how others do this type of adventure in smaller boats. Having once been a more active kayaker I'm interested in this style of sailing since it is a nice combo of the two.
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captflood View Post
GREETINGS EARTHLING What you need is a Wayfairer read the book by Dag Pyne who sailed on of these all aver the North Sea Loads of sound information and great practical instruction on preperation. AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
yes,Wayfarer- that's the dinghy I've been trying to remember the name of all evening. I could picture it but I just couldn't think what it's called. Perfect for my brother and I to use.
What book are you talking about- link?
Yes, I always like to stay safe while having fun.
Old 08-01-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I happened to be viewing a doco on Scotland last evening that showcased the Glen. Presuming that there are boat places you could launch from then what a fabulous wee cruise that would make. You'd want to rug up though. From what I saw it is a very popular spot in summer and bloody cold in winter.

Wayfarer would be fine but I wonder if you could hire a Drascombe ?

Bit more space than a Wayfarer. You can also rig a boom tent and kip on board in a pinch, if the weather turns really foul.
fryewe likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I am sooooo jealous.
It was a plan that Spike and I would go to Scotland and just pub crawl.
Can't do that now.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 08-02-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
Hi, I just returned from a walking trip in Skye and the road back followed part of the great glen in Scotland. The great glen looks like a good place for a nice quiet sailing holiday. I want to keep it cheap and I don't have loads of experience in anything more than a dinghy. I'm thinking of renting a large dinghy for a week, keeping all my stuff in waterproof bags and camping on the shore at night.

Thanks.
I wish I could help. I only want to say we made our first trip to Isle of Sky last month and we were overwhelmed by how beautiful it is, especially to the sailors eyes. If you go, bring us back some photos.

fryewe and Alasdair like this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I wish I could help. I only want to say we made our first trip to Isle of Sky last month and we were overwhelmed by how beautiful it is, especially to the sailors eyes. If you go, bring us back some photos.
Wow that's a nice photo! I've set it as my desktop background. Scotland is a nice place, especially Skye. I would like to go back there some time.
I think that the trip to the great glen will have to wait till next year, but yes, I'll get some photos.
Old 08-04-2013

Jak is on a distinguished road
Have you thought of buying a cheap 20' with a small cabin and then selling it when you were done? Not sure of the availability, but here (Pacific NW) you can pick them up for under $1000 USD. Even if you sell it at a substantial loss to unload it quickly it will probably be more boat for less overall $$ than a dingy rental.