Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: That kinda sucked, but I chose this life so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Sometimes people that are close to us will take us for granted. Happens all the time in friendships, marriages, and families. You just have to find in your heart to forgive and forget. He needed you, you were there for him, you scored some good karma points that will come back to you some day. And sounds like you also had some good sailing time. Not bad my friend, not bad at all...
And thanks for sharing this story.
That's how I'm looking at it. I'm also known to do all the over night shifts on deliveries and also when I single hand my own boat. I did want him rested for the next day so I could rest. I could see him tossing and turning for at least the first few hours of my watch, so I knew he wasn't sleeping, And then when I could hear a little snoring, I didn't want to interupt the R.E.M state he was in, plus, with a pot of strong coffee in me, I would of laid awake for hours in my hot bunk any way's. He's actually a great sailor and friend. I almost took his head off with a flat nose shovel in a South American Ship Yard over 20 years ago, so we have survived some brawls and come out closer on the other end.
As for Capta and his dream crew, I had that once back in the early 90's in the form of a 22 year old 5 10 natural Blonde surfer girl. She was the best helmsman I've seen to date. I would drag her behind the boat 300 miles off shore so she could poop and bath. Tough as nails, super salty. She was great with a tiller, couldn't get the feel of a wheel though. She was invited on Bob Bitch'ns boat one time and was humiliated by her inability to the find the sweet spot. But she could steer a tiller with her foot down 8 foot seas for hours while eating and apple and reading a book.
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 08-06-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
She was great with a tiller, couldn't get the feel of a wheel though. She was invited on Bob Bitch'ns boat one time and was humiliated by her inability to the find the sweet spot. But she could steer a tiller with her foot down 8 foot seas for hours while eating and apple and reading a book.
I know that problem. Tiller steering is very instinctive, and you feel the response in your bones, like it is alive. Wheel is kind of dead.
Old 08-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

It took me a while to get good at wheel steering having learned on a tiller. Now it's all second nature. At the moment I'm training how to drive a tug with a stick. Next will be the joy stick that I've used in a simulator. But give me a tiller over all of 'em.
Old 08-06-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I sailed my buddy's gaff rigged cutter Hanna 28 footer "spray" inspired thing "with him" from Marco Isalnd to the Key's the other day. No big deal, I do that trip all the time. We left at 4 p.m., putted out on the one cyl diesel, caught some wind, cut the engine at sun set. "Get some rest dude" I say. "Pass up a cup of wine and a swicher sweet cigar and I'll take it till I can't" So he does, lay's down, and there I sat, 15 on the forward beam, all flags fly'n. I had just drank a pot of espresso. Stary night. I'm feel'n good. So there I sat Till 9 oclock the next morning! Dude never came back. Left me out there. And when he did get up, after 2 hours of making himself some coffee and us some breakfast, as soon as he took the helm and started the eng. to motor through Big Spanish channel, the engine sucked up some goo and died. So I take the helm so he can fix it. It won't start. No big deal. I said "shake the reef out" that we had just put in "so I can sail it through the cut". The shackle that holds up the gaff breaks, and the sail flops into a weird shape, and is stuck in in the up Position. So now we have no eng or main sail! Luckily I had picked up my A-sym spin. at the sail maker and just happen to have it with me. I sail it for 8 more hours down wind to the N west Channel in Key West while he messes with "HIS" mess. 26 of the 30 hour trip I spent at the helm. With a few thank you's, but mostly dealing with his attitude. And yet to see the bottle of Havana Club he promised as a thank you jest. I chose to go and decided not to wake him for his watch, so I did make my own bed, but yeah, the whole thing kinda sucked, Believe it or not, it would of been easier to do my self. The more I sail with other dudes, the more I'm reminded why I single hand. I posted a pic of hour 20 at the helm with the spin. up and the miss shaped main. Thanks for letting me vent.
Sounds like you should contact a lawyer and sue for poor work conditions and not getting a proper break. Perhaps contact the department of labor. At least you were not confined to your quarters.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4
Capt.aaron likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Sounds like you should contact a lawyer and sue for poor work conditions and not getting a proper break. Perhaps contact the department of labor. At least you were not confined to your quarters.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4
Speaking of that, check this out. A guy I know here in Key west, a Captain, was fired because he wrote in the log of the schooner he ran, that the owner was running the engine off of a jerry can in stead of the main tank, and that they had also fixed the broken alt. bracket with a wood wedge instead of replacing the broken arm/ Which in turn fell out, blew the belt, stopped the water pump and overheated, no alarm and blew a rod. So they fire him and ripped the page out of the log. I'm thinking this guy has a case against these A-holes, whom are one of the towns biggest charter company's with many boats. I just saw one of the owners while walking my dog and I pointed and laughed at him, and told him we're all talking about him. He, not really knowing me from Adam, just looked at me with fright. He knew what I was talking about.
Old 08-06-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
we even were arrested in a Venezuelan brothel back '89 and driven out into the jungle hand cuffed together in the middle of the night.
Um, what? Maybe that story is for another day.

But, seriously, I'll trade ya the spot behind my desk for that little adventure you had.
Old 08-06-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah know, we have been to sea a lot together over the past 25 years. We crewed on a tall ship for years together, we even were arrested in a Venezuelan brothel back '89 and driven out into the jungle hand cuffed together in the middle of the night.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes a good bar story.

I'm guessing you have a few good bar stories...
Capt.aaron and Sal Paradise like this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-06-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

This is all the OP's fault. He knew the skipper and knew the guy was a basket-case. He could have refused to sail with him and avoided the entire mess.

The skipper obviously barely understands how to sail his own boat, and has no inter-personal skills at all, leading to the blow-up between captain and crew.

Oh wait...wrong thread, sorry.

Just kidding, Aaron. I think you handled it well.
miatapaul, Capt.aaron and CatMan22 like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-06-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
you know what capta--- STFU!!!

Bast@rd.

Whoa, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?
Old 08-06-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Whoa, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?
I think he meant it in jest and could he be a bit jealous?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.