Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What option Shall I do?
A: Leave the boat in the Carribean 2 14.29%
B: Sail her home 0 0%
C: Sell it and buy another 12 85.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013

korn is on a distinguished road
Advice on Sailing Home to meet my Baby!?

Here is our situation; I live on my boat in Luperon and have been sailing Florida and the Bahamas for a year. My fiance lives in Seattle. The plan was to have her finish up this year of work and meet me to continue the sailing in the Carribean. However, we were thrown a wicked curveball; I am back visiting the fiance in Seattle and find out she is pregnant! Yay! (yes my child The baby is due in Feb.

SO, we have a few options:
a) leave the boat in the Carribean and come back and sail with the baby once it is old enough.
b) Sail the boat home to Seattle via Hawaii by February. (singlehanded). If I run out of time leave it moored to later return and finish the trip.
c) Sell the boat and buy another in Seattle.

I am most interested in hearing feedback/opinions on option B. Sailing to Panama in Oct. Through the Canal, Leave to Hawaii in November; then possibly Hawaii to Seattle Dec/Jan time permitting. I would leave the boat in Hawaii if necessary. The boat is set up well, SSB, wind vane, auto pilot, ais, etc. I only carry about 50 gals of fuel so sailing is imperative. Admittedly, I have some blue water experience, but a great deal of coastal cruising and singlehanding.

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Advice on Sailing Home to meet my Baby!?

I obviously have no idea what the boat is - but I'd sure lean toward selling and buying another. My understanding is that going through the canal takes a big bite out of the wallet. So unless the boat's value is significant this, plus the time and risk-reward of that much sailing on a schedule, would make me want to hop off with some cash in my pocket, then get something else for the new family.

Congrats on the baby. Being a dad is the best thing in the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-06-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

As Smack said, we don't know the type of boat and it suitability for such a challenging trip.
But regardless, reality will set in...
Life as you know it will no longer exists - for awhile anyway.
You said fiance, therefore, theres prolly a wedding in the works?
Priorities change, family first, there are thousand's of boat in the PNW for you to choose when you again will be able or have time to sail. Sell it.

Congratulations on the baby!
TJC45 likes this.
Old 08-06-2013

AKA44 is on a distinguished road
Advice on Sailing Home to meet my Baby!?

It's always very nice to have a large raft of good options to choose between, isn't, but weighing them can get tricky - no?

Congrats on your impending fatherhood. CD paints some nice pictures for us of living with and raising kids onboard. Here's a question for now, though...
Regarding your timeline, how much support are you planning to give to the baby's mother during the remainder of her pregnancy, hmm???
Seaduction and TJC45 like this.
Old 08-06-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Smackdaddy & Tatia ( IMHO ) nailed it, life will continue to change from here on out, don't despair though, it's all part of the adventure so, flow with it.

And congrats DAD !!

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-06-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

North Pacific in winter? Possibly single-handing? On the bright side, you're really never more than a few miles from land (vertically). I'd go with the sell the boat and buy another one crowd.
Old 08-06-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Your life has changed forever! In ways you can't imagine! Sell the boat and get back to the PNW as fast as you can. Your first and only priority is the baby and mommy. You are young and there are a million boats to buy when the time is right to continue the dream.
Dfok likes this.
Old 08-06-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Sell, sell, sell......

Sell--> Move Fast --> Raise Family --> Buy Bigger Boat --> Sail with Family into the sunset.
kd3pc, smackdaddy and TJC45 like this.
Old 08-06-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Sell, sell, sell......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Sell--> Move Fast --> Raise Family --> Buy Bigger Boat --> Sail with Family into the sunset.
Quite a few families with babies are living aboard and cruising. I would think it might be advantageous before the child gets used to living on land and has a social life busier than your own that she may or may not want to leave behind when you and her mother get the itch again.
shadowraiths likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-06-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I do not know the value of your current vessel but for the 38 foot Endeavour I am guessing between $50,000.00 USD and $100,000.00 based on current asking prices, and the fact that the boat should be able to make the 8 knot speed through the canal zone without a tow, I would say that the estimated $2,000.00-$2,500.00 cost for the crossing should be justifiable. Of course if you are planning on selling it to purchase something larger or different then yes, sell it before you go through the canal.

If you are interested Noonsite has the latest fees and a good description of the transit here.... http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Pa...R2012-03-14-3/

Be sure to follow the links for the updated fees here ...... http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/.../R2012-04-23-5

I hope this is helpful.

Mark