Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By northoceanbeach

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
My trip is almost almost done!

I am crossing from Vancouver to the Gulf Islands tomorrow morning and from there trough the San Juans and thats about it.

Thanks to everyone who gave me good advice on here from buying the right boat to my pre trip planning, to questions I had along the way. Oh and thanks for the the good recommendations of places to go. Without the advice I got on here it would not have been the same and I do appreciate it.

Now I'm not saying goodbye. I'm not quitting sailing. I'm only just getting started. I'm going to start thinking about the next cruise. And I still do have to finish here. I've still or about two weeks left which is itself a good trip. Here is what stands out.

At the beginning of my trip I wrote a post about why don't younger people cruise. Well I no longer care. Along the way I completely stopped thinking about the age of my fellow sailors and met alot of good people.

Weather makes all the difference. Much better to share an anchorage with 50 boats in the warm sun than have a cold, dreary spot all to yourself.

Canada is far better than I expected.

Sailing outside of places with a consistent wind pattern is more for fun than a practical means of getting from point a to b.

Dinghies with motors aren't stupid.

Food goes way quicker than you realize.

It's not that hard to single hand a spinnaker and they are by far the most effective way to sail downwind. Fun too.

I did a great job of setting the boat up to cruise. There wasn't much I needed that I didn't have. Except an autopilot. If I could go back I would have gotten one.

I'm glad I waited to go to Desolation Sound. Because its the getting there that is the most fun. The goal. Wherever the place you choose. It's the planning and turning a point and everything is new and different and you look at our oil and select an anchorage and its new and you have to figure it all out. That's the most fun. Once I got there I loved it. But I was there. I was ready to start planning my route to Vancouver. And now I am planning my route through the Gulfs which I must give another chance to woo me and see some places in the San Juans I missed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2013

matthewwhill is on a distinguished road
Re: My trip is almost almost done!

Awesome, I found your posts and PM's very interesting and enlightening. I hope to complete a cruise like the yours some day. Job and family are getting in the way though. Maybe the family will come along.

Where to next? Florida keys and Bahamas?

Also, how would you raise your spinnaker? In front of a headsail which you then lower? In front of main? Would you ever sail by spinnaker alone?

What was the most worrisome, dangerous part of your trip?
Old 08-07-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: My trip is almost almost done!

Oh ok. Thanks. So far I have only been sailin with the spinnaker alone. I did practice jibing it yesterday. I'm going to work on sailing and the main together next. I thought I would work at just it by itself first to concentrate on just it.