Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Entering Bohemia River from the North?

I am hoping that someone can provide some local knowledge for the entrance to the Bohemia River. We're planning to cruise down there this weekend. We will be crossing the canal from Delaware into Maryland, then down Elk River to the Bohemia. Our boat draws a little under 4'.

I've heard that the Bohemia's entrance is fraught with shoals and other surprises. Most references say to enter from R14 and favor the south shore for better depths. That works great for those coming from Rock Hall, Annapolis, and other popular sailing grounds to the south. Coming from the north, that adds A LOT to the trip. It looks like I could shave up to an hour off the trip by cutting the corner, perhaps turning to southeast at R16 (or even sooner?). But, of course, running aground at the end of a 9-10 hour day would not be fun.

What are your suggestions from those who have entered Bohemia from the north?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Entering Bohemia River from the North?

Actually you can sail/motor anywhere the depth is greater that your draft. You see a lot of sailboats and motorboats going from buoy-to-buoy when there is absolutely no reason to do that.
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Actually you can sail/motor anywhere the depth is greater that your draft...
Well I realize that. But what is the depth in that area? Can the charted depths be trusted with the amount of shoaling in that area? Have Irene or Sandy caused changes since the last survey?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 08-07-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Rick I thought your boat was the swing keel model?

my current "project"!
Old 08-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction:1070320
Actually you can sail/motor anywhere the depth is greater that your draft. You see a lot of sailboats and motorboats going from buoy-to-buoy when there is absolutely no reason to do that.
Very useful post!
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Rick I thought your boat was the swing keel model?
The Catalina 250 is not available with a swing keel. The options are:

C250WK - wing keel, which is what I have
C250WB - water ballast, which has a centerboard and about 10" less headroom in the cabin
C250FK - fin keel, extremely rare and no longer offered (only two known specimens, one in US and one in NZ)

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-07-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Well I realize that. But what is the depth in that area? Can the charted depths be trusted with the amount of shoaling in that area? Have Irene or Sandy caused changes since the last survey?
I'd consult the USCG 'Notices to Mariners' for District 5 and also call the marina that your heading for local knowledge..Other than that I dont see a problem cutting corners a bit. 4 foot draft is an ideal draft for the majority of the Upper Bay.

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River
Old 08-07-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

There is a little bump on the port side of the entrance to the river that gets to about 4 feet at a very low tide. the next thing to watch is not to go to close in shore to the right of the marker near Hacks point as there is a spit that runs out of there. Coming into the river at low tide, just take the middle and then point tour course to a blue boat at anchor between Bohemia vista and Bobay marina........ that's me lol
If you want to stay the night in a marina, take Bohemia Bay as they charge half of what Bovista does

ATB

Michael
Dfok and Seaduction like this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 08-07-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention, there are no rocks to bump into and it is soft bottom everywhere and not bad holding ground.
Edit only just noticed the picture. Yup you are good to go as plotted on your chart. Thats pretty much how i do it with 5'6
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.

Last edited by Ferretchaser; 08-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-07-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Lots of us have trusted the charts for years. New shoaling tends to extend further from existing shoals; tends to increase on the inside of curves in rivers that experience moving water (tidal or gravitational) and, conversely, deeper water on the outside of river curves.
I don't have recent local knowledge there, however, hopefully you'll get answers from local sailors there. I used to hit bottom lots of times going up Swan Creek to Spring Cove, even though I stayed in the marked channel.
When in doubt, use the cautious approach.