Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road
dead fibreglass boats

I saw a pile of old boats being crushed by an excavator. So I am wondering what happens to fiberglass boats when they are no longer useful? After the hardware is stripped is it landfill material or is there any recycling of fiberglass? There are a lot of derelict boats out there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: dead fibreglass boats

Fiberglass can be recycled into fuel for industrial boilers and furnaces. That is about it, as far as I know. Fiberglass has a good BTU (fuel) value.
Old 08-07-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Landfill. My understanding is they are too expensive to take apart and recycle. So it's crush'em and throw the pile into a dumpster.

Sadden's me to see it. But what is the alternative? Lotsa time and money to bring most of them back.
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
Sadden's me to see it. But what is the alternative? Lotsa time and money to bring most of them back.
Seems like there is not much demand for older boats. That is why the old boat prices are low and many are scrapped. I see so many great boats for very little money that my palms are sweating to buy something.
SloopJonB, groggy, jimgo and 1 others like this.
Old 08-07-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I think if I wanted to get rid of my old '67 in this economy, I would just part it out, cut it up with a chainsaw, and throw the pieces into a dumpster.
Old 08-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I have a 50 year old glass boat. I got it with the trailer for 2 grand. The trailer was worth what I paid for both.
TJC45 likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2013

With boats that are too big to bring home the problem isn't only the cost to repair. It cost as much per foot to store a 40 year old project boat as it does to store a brand new one. The moment you assume ownership the boat becomes this financial alligator eating it way through your wallet. And, if you do want to bring it home, God Bless you for being so wealthy you can afford to pay thousands to move a worthless boat!
krisscross likes this.
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I have a 50 year old glass boat. I got it with the trailer for 2 grand. The trailer was worth what I paid for both.
Lead scrap is about $0.75 per pound so if your boat has 1400 pounds of lead ballast, that is over a grand for lead alone.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 08-07-2013

I tired to buy a derelick Hobie 18 from a marina. It had been sitting for years. The boat had no rudders or sails. The tramp was trashed as was all the running rigging. The trailer, just from looking at it wasn't road worthy. Tires, repacked hubs, new wiring, replace lights. IOW, this puppy was a real basket case. What it had going for it was that the hulls were solid. I asked the marina what they wanted for it. The quoted me a price that was almost equal to an up and running boat. A decent 18, at the time, could be had for about $4000. These guys wanted $3500. That for a boat that needed almost $3000 in parts alone. AS a businessman i tried to negotiate, but there was no movement. They were totally unreasonable. Things are the way they are for a reason. The boat sat for years more.

OTOH, there is a marina on the Hudson that is into sailboat rescue. There are many boats there, older, that have been abandoned by their owners. They set either a reasonably low price on the boat or even give them away. The catch, the new owner must prove to them they have the will and the capability to bring them back. They must also show that they are fully aware of what they are sigining up for and not just wide eyed dreamers with more dream than pocketbook.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-07-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2013

Bought a Dolphin15 boat with a really nice trailer - all for $250 (100 bid plus 150 in charity fees)
1982 14' Dolphin Senior Sailboat w/trailer in Sailboats | eBay Motors

Really just wanted a trailer. Will try to sell the boat locally for $150 to recover some of the cost. But the trailer is definitely worth $250 IMO. Much lower and nicer than the one i use now for my Holder 14. I will turn my old trailer into a flatbed motorcycle hauler. All it needs is a deck.