Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

I tend to look at these types of incidents in aviation terms. An area where crew dynamics has been well studied. In those term if this guy had been a professional pilot at any level ,flew the same category plane for four years, in the same region, he would be considered highly experienced. Are there pilots with two or three times the experience? Yup!!! Does that count for anything? Maybe. If the four year pilot bought the farm because something from the realm of you don't know what you don't know finally caught up with him, then yeah, it counts for a lot. But most likely, any pilot at that level who reaches the ground before they reach the airport, it's a human factors crash. A fancy way of saying he(they) effed up. Of course sometimes mechanical failure plays a role.

No doubt many here know a lot more about the rarified air world of high end charter captains than i do. But, relying on my ages old aviation experience, i can educate a guess that a mind not on the business at hand can end with similar results between the two. Or, in the words of the captain of ill fated Eastern Flight 401 10 seconds before impact "Hey, i think we did something to the altitude!" Did something to the altitude? Indeed!

Last edited by TJC45; 08-15-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013

Rick486 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I tend to look at these types of incidents in aviation terms. An area where crew dynamics has been well studied. In those term if this guy had been a professional pilot at any level ,flew the same category plane for four years, in the same region, he would be considered highly experienced. Are there pilots with two or three times the experience? Yup!!! Does that count for anything? Maybe. If the four year pilot bought the farm because something from the realm of you don't know what you don't know finally caught up with him, then yeah, it counts for a lot. But most likely, any pilot at that level who reaches the ground before they reach the airport, it's a human factors crash. A fancy way of saying he(they) effed up. Of course sometimes mechanical failure plays a role.

No doubt many here know a lot more about the rarified air world of high end charter captains than i do. But, relying on my ages old aviation experience, i can educate a guess that a mind not on the business at hand can end with similar results between the two. Or, in the words of the captain of ill fated Eastern Flight 401 10 seconds before impact "Hey, i think we did something to the altitude!" Did something to the altitude? Indeed!
Aviate,,,,navigate,,,,,communicate. I remember that Eastern accident. Nobody was aviating at the time.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 08-16-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
Aviate,,,,navigate,,,,,communicate. I remember that Eastern accident. Nobody was aviating at the time.
Well said!

It amazes me that a captain could run a 2 million dollar boat onto the rocks.

There is a reason, but at the end of the day, no excuse!
Old 08-25-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

I just found this post by accident on the Compac sailboat site blaming the keel stepped mast being shoved upwards when the keel struck the rocks for causing a compression fracture of the mast:

"Anybody seen the online pics of the Hylas 47 that dis-masted in the northeast, after striking a charted rock?

It was on charter.

In an even smaller world story, the aunt of one of my customer's was aboard.

Dismasting, was hard to figure, until I got the second hand account from someone aboard. It was a compression fracture, just above the gooseneck (mast-boom joint). With the keel stepped mast, and a nice tight rigging plan (shrouds and stays); upon impact at approx. 7.5~8.5 knots, the keel came up. The mast, restrained by standing rigging, couldn't go up. BOOM. Blew out the mast.

Betcha there was a run on clean underwear shortly thereafter, to resolve the runs in the dirty underwear!"

Link to the post here:
Gunboat 66

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.