Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Ouch...

At any rate, whenever a very experienced professional captain puts a multi-million dollar yacht on the rocks in a heavily trafficked, well charted area, on a perfect summer afternoon, it should serve as a cautionary reminder that the sort of electronic 'piloting' most of us are doing today certainly isn't foolproof... :-)

I'd really be curious to see what the keel looks like... Wouldn't at all be surprised, if some rep from Hylas is already at Wayfarer, with a 150 X 10 foot 'curtain' at the ready... :-)

Just glad nobody was hurt, boats can always be fixed...

Hey Jon! I know you like like to find the fault in "electronic piloting", but I don't think that's the demon here.

I hit that rock 13 years ago with a paper chart in my lap. I wasn't the first, and Archangel won't be the last.

That is actually a wide(1/4 mile plus) and well traveled passage used regularly by local schooner traffic under sail as well as a good portion of the heavy pleasure boat traffic that cuts a near straight Easterly line from Camen Maine to Pulpit Harbor.

The rock he(we) hit is about 4' under at HW. It's well charted but as we know, if you become a little lazy piloting, rocks get hit.

Down on the docks I heard some talk, "They should put a marker on that rock". I heard that after my episode when I had to run my boat a half mile to Lasell Is and up on the beach to save it.

A marker might help, but with the heavy boat traffic, somebody will hit that rock, now and then. I never will again.

Archangel must be built like a tank because despite having to haul off that rock, she's floating fine in Camden right now.

Attached Thumbnails
70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...-archangel-docks.jpg  

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Really? I have seen (and been on a few) hard groundings and never seen a rig come down or worry about it.

Maybe Hylas is experimenting with the B&R rig? (hehe, just a joke, duck and run).

Jon, I am not convinced a single chain plate would bring down that rig unless they had multiple shourds/stays on it... and even then...??? Wouldn't they have to have at least two failures or more? Again, assuming they are not using the B&R rig, am I wrong? I really don't know.

I like your compression theory the best.

Brian
Well, I think it's worth noting that it was an in-mast furling rig, affording "infinite push-button reefing abilities...” As Tom's pic shows, it sheared off right above the boom...

In other words, right about where that slot cut in the back of the mast section begins, and continues to the top of the rig.... :-)

I suspect the folks at GMT are not happy about this one, at all...

GMT Composites Carbon Fiber Mast Chosen for Hylas 70 | GMT Composites

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
[snip]

The rock he(we) hit is about 4' under at HW. It's well charted but as we know, if you become a little lazy piloting, rocks get hit.
Tom:

Active Captain has a warning posted for this rock (I think it is this rock) that says the following:

"Give this marked rock extra clearance to the North because of a submerged ledge. Several boats have reportedly gone aground just north of the charted rocks. Also, beware the ebb current can set you southward of your intended course."

At least according to this, it sounds as though perhaps the rock is a little farther north than the chart shows (although I'm a bit suspicious that perhaps that is just a convenient excuse for getting caught by the ebb tide).

Thoughts?

Shame about the boat. Looks like a beauty.
Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well, I think it's worth noting that it was an in-mast furling rig, affording "infinite push-button reefing abilities...” As Tom's pic shows, it sheared off right above the boom...

In other words, right about where that slot cut in the back of the mast section begins, and continues to the top of the rig.... :-)

I suspect the folks at GMT are not happy about this one, at all...

GMT Composites Carbon Fiber Mast Chosen for Hylas 70 | GMT Composites
Good point Jon. I suspect the inmast caused this accident. WIth the inmast, people are more prone to use their mainsails. Had he been smart, and bought a traditional slab rig, he would have been motoring instead and this accident would have been avoided.

Sorry Jon, couldn't resist...

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-08-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
Tom:

Active Captain has a warning posted for this rock (I think it is this rock) that says the following:

"Give this marked rock extra clearance to the North because of a submerged ledge. Several boats have reportedly gone aground just north of the charted rocks. Also, beware the ebb current can set you southward of your intended course."

At least according to this, it sounds as though perhaps the rock is a little farther north than the chart shows (although I'm a bit suspicious that perhaps that is just a convenient excuse for getting caught by the ebb tide).

Thoughts?

Shame about the boat. Looks like a beauty.
Wow! We're discussing this same grounding on the CSBB cruisers forum.

This rock has sunk some boats, including mine.

Just a few minutes ago, poster Larry posted that hazzard addition to AC. I'm new to AC and just downloaded it on my Bluechart App. I just checked and it's not on mine because I suppose I have to reload-the download or sign in again. But you must have the new AC software?

Being a local that uses that passage often, I don't think it's an inaccuracy of the charts(I will paste your post over on the CSBB, thanks). I would bet Archangel had no intention of cutting that rock closely and intended to traverse generally through the middle.

At low tide, you're likely to just run it visually staying about an 1/8th of a mile off Lasell Island to the North, and the "obstruction that covers", which is THEN, clearly visible, 1/8th nm.,to the south.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 08-08-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
..Shame about the boat. Looks like a beauty.
Gotta say, every boat is a beauty to someone...
Old 08-08-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road

I would loved to see what the keel looks like....
Old 08-08-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Gotta say, every boat is a beauty to someone...
Your point being what?
Old 08-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Good point Jon. I suspect the inmast caused this accident. WIth the inmast, people are more prone to use their mainsails. Had he been smart, and bought a traditional slab rig, he would have been motoring instead and this accident would have been avoided.

Sorry Jon, couldn't resist...

Brian
LOL! Purely coincidental, no doubt, that the mast appeared to have failed pretty much precisely at the point where the largest cutout in the mast section is placed... :-)

It will be interesting to see what they decide to go with for the new rig... Right now, I'd put at least even money on the possibility of a furling boom, instead...

I must say, however, that boat wears her dinghy on its davits quite nicely... :-)

Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
LOL! Purely coincidental, no doubt, that the mast appeared to have failed pretty much precisely at the point where the largest cutout in the mast section is placed... :-)

It will be interesting to see what they decide to go with for the new rig... Right now, I'd put at least even money on the possibility of a furling boom, instead...

I must say, however, that boat wears her dinghy on its davits quite nicely... :-)

I would definitely go with inboom over inmast. Just was not an option when I bought the boat. Short of cost, not sure I see any benefit of inmast over inboom.

B

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: