Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I would definitely go with inboom over inmast. Just was not an option when I bought the boat. Short of cost, not sure I see any benefit of inmast over inboom.

B
Of course, all this is pure speculation on my part, who knows if it being a furling mast had anything at all to do with the rig failure... No doubt, GMT knows how to properly engineer these things...

My first thought regarding the dismasting, however, was to wonder whether they might have been sailing under a headsail alone, without the main to act as a reinforcing/stabilizing influence in the event of such a 'sudden stop', and the massive inertia that could put on the rig.. A second glance at the photos, however, quickly confirmed they did have the main unfurled...

Nevertheless, one thing I never like to see, are boats beating to weather in a good blow, under headsail alone... I'm afraid many people don't appreciate the importance the mainsail in such a scenario, and how helpful the stabilizing effect even a deeply reefed main can have, in helping to reduce mast pumping, and keeping the mast in column...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-08-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

So, imagine for a moment the boat in the bottom pic, sailing 6-7kts with the sails under load going from 6-7 kts to 0 kts in a heartbeat ? Yeah, I could see the rig failing.

She may have been wearing her staysail as well

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 08-08-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Of course, all this is pure speculation on my part, who knows if it being a furling mast had anything at all to do with the rig failure... No doubt, GMT knows how to properly engineer these things...

My first thought regarding the dismasting, however, was to wonder whether they might have been sailing under a headsail alone, without the main to act as a reinforcing/stabilizing influence in the event of such a 'sudden stop', and the massive inertia that could put on the rig.. A second glance at the photos, however, quickly confirmed they did have the main unfurled...

Nevertheless, one thing I never like to see, are boats beating to weather in a good blow, under headsail alone... I'm afraid many people don't appreciate the importance the mainsail in such a scenario, and how helpful the stabilizing effect even a deeply reefed main can have, in helping to reduce mast pumping, and keeping the mast in column...
WHen beating to weather the main is by and far the best sail. Excluding for a moment where the center of effort is placed (and the tendency for a weather helm which is important), the main allows you to tack with little energy and effort from the crew. Especially if the crew is tired, you can come about to the same angle (more or less) and it is easy-cheesy.

Going to weather with just a jib is a typical novice mistake (IMHO).

Now when I run, especially if I am close to a dead run (which I hate to do), I will often go with just the jib. If I run the main, depending on the wind, I typically set a preventer. I assume you do too?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
So, imagine for a moment the boat in the bottom pic, sailing 6-7kts with the sails under load going from 6-7 kts to 0 kts in a heartbeat ? Yeah, I could see the rig failing.

She may have been wearing her staysail as well
I dont know Poopy. I bet there was some give when he hit (probably as he listed over). I am just guessing, but I doubt he went straight to zero like he hit a brick wall. I have no doubt he came to a stop pretty quickly though. But still, how would that compare to a hard Jibe or tack in strong winds, which that boat should take?

This is probably a Jeff or Bob question, like Jon said earlier.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-08-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
This is probably a Jeff or Bob question, like Jon said earlier.
Oh hell yeah, I'm kinda waiting to hear
Old 08-08-2013
Rocket Scientist

Cap'n Russ is on a distinguished road

I think you're on to something with the compression theory. I used to design and build composite airplanes. Carbon fibre parts are designed for specific load paths and while they do a superb job loads they do not yield. A carbon fibre part will continue to deflect until you reach its breaking point and then it typically cracks/shatters. Since the mast was designed to handle lateral loads, not compressive loads (other than those necessary to keep the mast upright), if the grounding did force the keel up, it's quite possible that could have been enough compressive force to cause the mast to break.
Old 08-08-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

"Yacht-Rock Collision"

Heh, I wonder if Michael Mcdonald or Christopher Cross was coming from the speakers at the time.
tdw and rbrasi like this.

Old 08-08-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

This may have been a navigation error but it is also true that there are still PLENTY of uncharted or vaguely charted rocks lurking just under the surface. Sailing close to shore is always somewhat a game of Russian Roulette. No one wants to be credited with finding the precise coordinates of the next uncharted rock.
Old 08-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Here it is from Garmin Mapsource.

BTW, I have sailed through there many times and always stay close to Lasell I.

Tim,
For those of us who do not know the area, could you please show us where this boat went aground and what his route was and (if different) should have been. Would he have been sailing between Lasell I and Mouse I or trying to get between Lasell and Goose Rock?
Thanks
davidpm likes this.
Old 08-08-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Tim,
For those of us who do not know the area, could you please show us where this boat went aground and what his route was and (if different) should have been. Would he have been sailing between Lasell I and Mouse I or trying to get between Lasell and Goose Rock?
Thanks
I have no idea which rocks they hit or what course they were steering.

A straight course from Camden harbor(known departure port) and Pulpit harbor(supposed destination) puts you right through the rocks NE of Goose Rock. Maybe their chart plotter had the detail filtered out when selecting the range to include both harbors. Maybe they did not zoom in to an adequate range to show that detail and also traced their route to ensure there were no obstructions.

This a only a guess and only the crew of that boat know exactly what happened.
smurphny and groggy like this.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.