Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Lofrans Falkon windlass problem

Well we finally got to Grenada and got the new Falkon windlass installed and functioning.
However there seems to be a problem with the gypsy. The chain gets caught in the gypsy when retrieving it and the chain stripper will not separate the chain from the gypsy, causing the windlass to lock up. I have tried every possible adjustment of the chain stripper, to no avail.
Our chain is 3/8 bbb, and the gypsy is the 367C HT which, according to the catalog, is the correct gypsy for 3/8 bbb chain. The chain is three years old and though heavily used this part of the chain has had little use, so I doubt that it has changed shape. We always anchor w/about 30' of 1" nylon as a snub line, so there is little chance the chain has been damaged.
Attached pics show the installation. 1) shows installation, 2) shows chain not sitting properly in gypsy, 3) shows chain stripper.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Have you had this problem with this windlass or any other?
Attached Thumbnails
Lofrans Falkon windlass problem-falkon1.jpg   Lofrans Falkon windlass problem-falkon2-s.jpg   Lofrans Falkon windlass problem-falkon3-s.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Lofrans Falkon windlass problem

I would suggest that is the incorrect chain/gypsy marriage.

The link that is being currently "pulled" in pic 2 is against the shoulder of the gypsy and the link below it is clearly on top of the shoulder (see tiny line alongside the middle of the link).

I have a Lofrans Tigre which is very similar to yours and the chain stripper is virtually exactly the same and it works 100%

As a fundamental principle, each chain link should fit almost exactly between the shoulders of the gypsy. yours just doesn't appear to do that. The spacing appears way too large (see red arrows below)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Omatako,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Thanks to your arrows on the pic (how do you do that, by the way?) the manufacturer agrees that the chain/gypsy combo is not correct. However, the part numbers are correct so we must figure out what's up. I'm sending them dimensions of the links and we'll go from there, in a month. They are closing (the manufacturer and business offices) Monday until Sept 8th! Must be nice.
Mean while we twist in the wind (hopefully light winds) in hurricane season with no way to pull up our anchor.
How interesting?
Old 08-09-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Omatako,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Thanks to your arrows on the pic (how do you do that, by the way?) the manufacturer agrees that the chain/gypsy combo is not correct. However, the part numbers are correct so we must figure out what's up. I'm sending them dimensions of the links and we'll go from there, in a month. They are closing (the manufacturer and business offices) Monday until Sept 8th! Must be nice.
Mean while we twist in the wind (hopefully light winds) in hurricane season with no way to pull up our anchor.
How interesting?
The arrows: I copied you picture, pasted it into MS Paint, inserted the arrows, saved the picture with the arrows, uploaded the picture into my Photobucket library, copied the URL from there and pasted it into my post. Sounds like a lot of sweat but actually easy and quick.

As far as the winch goes, you've done the right thing buying Lofrans, they're great windlasses, the part numbers are just a bit scrambled, you'll get it right (hopefully before you need the winch in a panic).

Whatever you do, don't mess with the chain while reeling it in - I nearly lost two fingers doing exactly that two years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook