Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013

akavishon is on a distinguished road
anchoring story ... your opinion sought

Ahoi sailnet'ers, I have a little anchoring story to share, and would like to ask your opinions ... it's really mostly a learning experience for me:

So the other night I arrived in an unnamed harbor after sunset. All moorings were taken and my only option was to anchor my 32' sloop outside the harbor, in a wide channel with 2-3 knot tidal currents. Conditions were benign, and forecast to remain so through the night. A very large 77' sailboat - aka superyacht - was already anchored there, in 15' of water at low tide.

I picked a spot and dropped my 35lb anchor, but it did not bite well so I pulled it up and reanchored. I made very sure that the anchor was well set (reverse hard) and let out a comfortable scope (20' chain + 90' rode). I ended up some 60-70' directly off the bow of the superyacht. I then rowed over to them and asked the captain whether he was comfortable with the situation. He said he had 40m of chain on the ground, and he was ok as long as we had matching scope. We anticipated that we would swing 180deg as the current reversed overnight, and I felt things were settled.

An unusual noise startled me at daybreak, I darted out on deck to see my starboard quarter right under the superyacht's port bow. Some equipment I have mounted there made a couple of (what seemed to me) light gelcoat scratches on the superyacht's dark hull. I quickly fended off (all hands on the superyacht were still asleep) and took in some of my rode, just enough to clear his bow by a safe distance, then went down below to make coffee. I continued to monitor the situation closely ... some 30-45mins later, the superyacht suddenly fell back and was again some 60-70' away from my stern, its crew still blissfully asleep.

I the morning I waved the superyacht's (pro) captain over, and informed him of our "collision", and the area where he may have some scratches. He was very kind and seemed rather unimpressed, and thought that his chain must have snagged a rock on the ground as we were swinging with the tide. He went off to check out his bow, and didn't seem to care much at all.

Later that morning, I pulled my anchor and picked up a mooring inside the harbor. The superyacht's captain soon arrived on his dinghy - the owner insisted that the bow scratches be fixed, he estimated the damage at $400, and proposed that we split the cost 50-50. He was rather kind and even a bit apologetic (I thought), he refused to take cash right away so we exchanged contact info and that was it.

I yet have to hear from him regarding this fix, so I am not sure this story will even have any continuation at all, but I am rather curious about your comments ... I certainly don't have much heartburn just paying the requested $200 and moving on, but somehow a) I don't really feel I had done anything wrong with my anchoring (have I?); b) I googled the superyacht ... it is rather famous, owned by a very wealthy man (who was aboard) who certainly doesn't need any $$$ from me ... I am guessing that he is faulting his pro captain for this.

Again, the captain was very kind, and if he actually ever asks for the $200 I would feel inclined to pay him and move on, so I am really mostly interested in your interpretation of this situation: Am I actually at fault here? One lesson, certainly, is never to anchor anywhere close to superyachts )

tx, A
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: anchoring story ... your opinion sought

I think no one party at fault. Shared responsibility seems fair. Maritime court would likely see it the same way. Very rare for their to be 100% fault assigned to any party. Not enough evidence in your case to imply one was more at fault then the other. Just my HO.

BTW, my general rule is to not anchor near any super yacht for a variety of reasons

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-09-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

I would agree. Splitting 50/50 seems fair unless fault can definitively be tied to one boat or the other. - which is unlikely...and since repairs are being split, was there any damage to your boat that should be thrown into the mix?

Compared to the other stories on here about other boats being unwilling to pay for damage caused by them (or even to acknowledge that damage occured)...50/50 seems reasonable. Things happen out there...
Old 08-09-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

The bummer is a guy in a yacht that big can probably drop $200 like I drop $20. For me, $200 bucks is a hit I really don't want. As suggested, maritime court would share responsibility but may not share it equally. A 70 foot boat with the proper scope would almost swing my entire scope just by turning around. (I have a rope rode.) SO, would it be in his best interest to prevent swinging? In a current and a channel? Probably setting a stern anchor would have prevented any issues of he was to your stern when you anchored. Regardless, his lawyer would doubtless be bigger than yours.
Old 08-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post

BTW, my general rule is to not anchor near any super yacht for a variety of reasons
It may not necessarily always be a bad thing...

Friends of mine on a Mason 43 were anchored up inside Lake Worth Inlet a couple of years ago, keeping their distance from most of the cruisers laying in shallower water...

A 200-foot motor yacht arrives, and very politely asks them if they would mind re-locating, as they were anchored in pretty much the only spot could have anchored... My friends, of course, complied, moving a short distance away...

Right around cocktail hour, the skipper of the large yacht comes over in a Riva tender... Profusely thanks my friends, and hands over a nice monogrammed bag with the yacht's name... Inside, were a couple of bottles of very fine wine...

And, an envelope...

With FIVE $100 bills inside...

So, you never know... :-)
RichH, JimMcGee, AdamLein and 2 others like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
It may not necessarily always be a bad thing...

Friends of mine on a Mason 43 were anchored up inside Lake Worth Inlet a couple of years ago, keeping their distance from most of the cruisers laying in shallower water...

A 200-foot motor yacht arrives, and very politely asks them if they would mind re-locating, as they were anchored in pretty much the only spot could have anchored... My friends, of course, complied, moving a short distance away...

Right around cocktail hour, the skipper of the large yacht comes over in a Riva tender... Profusely thanks my friends, and hands over a nice monogrammed bag with the yacht's name... Inside, were a couple of bottles of very fine wine...

And, an envelope...

With FIVE $100 bills inside...

So, you never know... :-)
Great story Jon. I wonder if it was the owner or the captain who ponied up the gifts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-09-2013

Christian Williams is on a distinguished road

It was very good of you to visit the yacht and discuss the anchorage. I wonder if the big boat any sort of anchor watch, or is it just "we have all this chain out and must get our rest in order to have the eggs benedict ready at nine o'clock breakfast."

In my opinion it was beyond petty to try to get a few hundred bucks out of you, since the crew will fix the damage or file a claim and more likely any repair will beone of many insignificant charges by the yard at time of next haul-out, under the $29,000 line item "miscellaneous".
Old 08-09-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
The bummer is a guy in a yacht that big can probably drop $200 like I drop $20.
$20 like $200 for him? You must be fabulously wealthy for the typical cruiser or person hanging around this forum.
Old 08-09-2013

Jon, love the story ... maybe I'll just fwd it to my superyacht's captain - I have his email - and see what he thinks )

There was no damage to my boat. We really only touched very gently, and not for long. I agree with the 50/50 approach ... if the super-wealthy owner is really leaning on his captain to pay for this damage, I won't leave him hanging.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 08-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
$20 like $200 for him? You must be fabulously wealthy for the typical cruiser or person hanging around this forum.
My boat is $35k. His boat is $2.4m ... that's 68x, methinks )
The Following User Says Thank You to akavishon For This Useful Post:
SOVT (08-09-2013)