Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: know it all ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
I think he is already here, and using multiple screen names.
I thought this was going to be a post about meeting [SN member name redacted]...

I am sure this fella posted in several of the threads I have been following this week...especially "Mutiny at Dawn."
Old 08-10-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I am much quicker to take advice from a sailor who says he "may know a little bit about ________" (but only if asked) than someone who leads off telling you about how much he knows before even telliing you anything.

And I believe the Gods of wind and ocean deal more kindly with the former than the latter, humility goes down with them sweeter than braggadocio. We are the Gods' servants out there.

Anyone who seems not to grasp this relationship might indeed do better to stay inside Chesepeake Bay, if that's where he already is....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Never ever argue with a fool. Others might think that he is similarly engaged.

And, since he has never navigated in the Arctic where a compass is useless,
he is full of that old brown stuff.
Dick
Bob142 likes this.
Old 08-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I am much quicker to take advice from a sailor who says he "may know a little bit about ________" (but only if asked) than someone who leads off telling you about how much he knows before even telliing you anything.

And I believe the Gods of wind and ocean deal more kindly with the former than the latter, humility goes down with them sweeter than braggadocio. We are the Gods' servants out there.

Anyone who seems not to grasp this relationship might indeed do better to stay inside Chesepeake Bay, if that's where he already is....
In fairness, one has to acknowledge the possibility that this guy may, indeed, know a great deal more about sailing than most...

...on Chesapeake Bay, that is...

That's where he puts his foot in it, with the ridiculous notion that "If you can sail the Chesapeake, you can sail anywhere..."

Now, such a claim might have some legitimacy about certain sailing grounds in the US... Alaska, no doubt... Maine, perhaps, Lake Superior, even San Francisco Bay... But an estuary with sailing conditions as typically benign and forgiving as Chesapeake Bay, sorry, that ain't one of them... despite what anyone says about the scary thunderstorms that can develop on a sultry summer afternoon... :-)

For someone to make such an assertion, they're broadcasting Loud & Clear how little appreciation they have for what they may not know, or have not experienced... Never once having felt the rise of an ocean swell, or sailed out of sight of land, or further than a couple of hours away from a safe haven, never once having run an inlet from the sea, or a pass into a Pacific atoll, never ever having read the water based upon it's color, or attempted to distinguish the shadow of a cloud from a coral head, nor experienced a katabatic blow-me-down inside a fjord.... Damn, the list is virtually ENDLESS of the sort of stuff this clown doesn't know... :-)

You're absolutely right, he's best off staying in his own little world, with a nice soft, forgiving bottom...
chef2sail and Minnewaska like this.
Old 08-10-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
... But an estuary with sailing conditions as typically benign and forgiving as Chesapeake Bay, sorry, that ain't one of them...

You're absolutely right, he's best off staying in his own little world, with a nice soft, forgiving bottom...
Yep.

At least he had the decency to open his mouth and remove any doubt there might have been about his true competencies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 08-11-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

One good thing about compulsively reading sailing books..... Even if I circumnavigate 5 times, round the three capes in winter, brave force 10 storms, and never see land for 40 years, I will still be a chump compared to people who, in an open 60, "can go downwind in 30 knots of wind, surfing on 20-ft. seas, carrying a spinnaker and full mainsail. And in those conditions they'll jibe the boat, with the spinnaker--at night, in the dark, alone!" (Godforsaken Sea)

Reading stuff like that will keep one humble.
smackdaddy likes this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-11-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
British humour - the gold standard.

I knew a girl once, years ago, who's father was a consulting neurosurgeon - the guy the other brain surgeons asked questions of when it got too hard or complicated.

I remember thinking that was just about as good or skilled as it was possible to be - I sure can't think of anything that could top it.
So you reckon this guy should be a "consulting sailor"?

I guess if you know how to tack, gybe, trim for speed, dock your boat and so on then he could be correct. Maybe he's correct when he says nobody knows more than him because in truth, fundamentally there isn't that much to sailing.

For example, I can gybe my boat - could I gybe an AC72 at 45 knots? Hell no, but I still can gybe. So mark that off the list. Now can I tack? Yep, mark that off. Get it?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-11-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; We all need to have a beer or five with this guy. He must be a great information carrier . EEEE after one or more beers the stories start the best beeing I can remember the time I crossed Cape Horne on a three mastterd Scrubbing brush EEEE when I was a lad we had it Tuff (paradie off the secret policemans ball Monty pyphon flrying circus) AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
steve77 likes this.
Old 08-11-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Everyone knows that if one stays in a Holiday Inn Express, magical powers enable them to do nearly anything. There is a Holiday Inn Express on the eastern side of the bay just off Route 50 for those interested in acquiring an abundance of worldly skills.
Old 08-11-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
I had a guy today proclaim that " Very few know as much as I do about sailing." Caused me ask about his experience . He told me he had been sailing in the Chesapeake since he was a child . (he looked maybe 40 to me) Caused me to ask him where else he had ever sailed to . " Just the Chesapeake." I told him I was no sage (& I truly am not) , but I sailed in the Bering Sea , the Pacific , the Gulf of Mexico , the North Atlantic , & the Chesapeake & my guess was that in all probability a lot of people might know more about sailing then you. He immediately replied that if you can sail in the Chesapeake you can sail anywhere . Any notions among sailnetters about that ?
He may very well be the best sailor in the world. But, I lived on, and sailed in, the Chesapeake for six years and while it's a nice place to sail, I wouldn't call it the best place to get a lot of experience. With mostly mud bottoms, lots of deep water, lots of good anchorages, and mostly moderate winds, it's probably one of the more forgiving places I have sailed.
sailordave and TJC45 like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico