SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   know it all ??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/102375-know-all.html)

kjango 08-10-2013 02:09 PM

know it all ???

I had a guy today proclaim that " Very few know as much as I do about sailing." Caused me ask about his experience . He told me he had been sailing in the Chesapeake since he was a child . (he looked maybe 40 to me) Caused me to ask him where else he had ever sailed to . " Just the Chesapeake." I told him I was no sage (& I truly am not) , but I sailed in the Bering Sea , the Pacific , the Gulf of Mexico , the North Atlantic , & the Chesapeake & my guess was that in all probability a lot of people might know more about sailing then you. He immediately replied that if you can sail in the Chesapeake you can sail anywhere . Any notions among sailnetters about that ?

PaulinVictoria 08-10-2013 02:25 PM

Re: know it all ???

Technically he is probably correct. Since a vast majority of the population know nothing about sailing, even if he knew a little bit about it then he would know more than most and therefore very few know as much as him.
Now, had he of said "very few sailors know as much as I do about sailing" then that would have been something else.

MarkofSeaLife 08-10-2013 02:34 PM

A year or so ago in Georgetown I was bragging about my recent trans-Atlantic crossing and this fellow said he too had crossed the Atlantic........... From Florida to the Bahamas.

I am sure if your friend has circumnavigated Chesapeake Bay he has, indeed, done the world.

kjango 08-10-2013 02:54 PM

Interesting perspective Mark....lol

kjango 08-10-2013 02:58 PM

Note: not a friend....just a guy I met in the marina

arf145 08-10-2013 03:01 PM

I would be suspicious of anyone who made a statement like that. Sounds like he has lost sight of what he doesn't know.

capta 08-10-2013 03:09 PM

It's all so relative; 40 years of a weekend or two a month and a two week vacation yearly, or a professional who operates 7 days a week in the season then sails his/her own boat in the Caribbean the rest of the year, for ten years.
I'll not get into the argument about the Chesapeake being a particularly difficult place to sail or not; I'm sure in 40 years of sailing, this person has experienced a difficult day or two. Perhaps he could tell us of some of his more harrowing experiences on the thread: "rough weather".

JonEisberg 08-10-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjango (Post 1072048)
Note: not a friend....just a guy I met in the marina

You should ask him to join Sailnet, no doubt there is plenty we could all learn from a sailor of such vast experience.... :-)

Capt Len 08-10-2013 03:23 PM

Many of the guests aboard the threehoursail have been around the Horn (bovine, that is)on the deck of the Thane Their boasting rights just as valid as that of your acquaintance.

Tenoch 08-10-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1072054)
You should ask him to join Sailnet, no doubt there is plenty we could all learn from a sailor of such vast experience.... :-)

I think he is already here, and using multiple screen names. ;)