SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Small craft advisory?

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  smurphny 
#1 ·
What exactly does that mean? Stay off the water?

#2 ·
It depends alot on the person and the area they live in. I often think of a small craft advisory as an alert that there is going to be fun and exciting sailing. In some parts of the country like San Francisco and Hawaii You wouldnt do much sailing if you didnt go in a small craft advisory.

You've just got to take into account some other local conditions. Say you are on the Great Lakes. Is it just supposed to be pretty windy? Or is it windy because of a thunderstorm. If its just a nice sunny small craft, you might go out and have a great time, but if there are other factors too, say where I'm at if there was a small craft AND a strong current opposing it, it might not be weather I would go out in.

#3 ·
Locally it is wind speed, 21-30 or so knots sustained, with gusts to 35 IIRC. At one time, small craft was/were boats under 65'. Also could be wave heights, duration along with a couple of other issues. Some areas of the world, SC warnings is an ave day, ie tradewind area's.

One will usually in smaller boats, say 35-40' have a 110 and probably a reef in the main, so winds that need to be thought about in some way shape or form. Above this is 2 or 3 different gale winds, then strom winds. Assuming I am remembering the way the winds are done.

marty

#4 ·
A small craft advisory is a type of warning issued by the National Weather Service in the United States, most frequently in coastal areas. It is issued when winds have reached, or are expected to reach within 12 hours, a speed marginally less than gale force.

The term wind advisory is used in place of small craft advisory when winds of the same force occur at, or are forecast for, inland locations. A lake wind advisory is issued for winds just below this range, because unobstructed winds across the open waters of a lake are normally faster than across land.

The wind speed that triggers the advisory has changed over time. Until the late 1960s, the threshold was 32 to 38 miles per hour (or 28 to 33 knots). At some point, the lower limit was reduced to 23 miles per hour (20 knots). Today, however, most places have standardized on 25 to 38 miles per hour (22 to 33 knots), encompassing the combined ranges of forces 6 and 7 on the Beaufort scale.

Occasionally an informal lesser advisory, known as "small craft exercise caution," is issued for wind speeds lighter than those that call for a small craft advisory. Criteria for this vary in different localities; sometimes a range of 19 to 24 miles per hour (17 to 21 knots) is observed, or in some places 17 to 23 miles per hour (15 to 19 knots) may be used.

The insignia that denotes a small craft advisory is one red, triangular flag (two such flags, one placed above the other, signify a gale warning).

The National Weather Service does not specifically identify what constitutes a "small craft," although the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary informally assigns the designation to boats with a total length of less than 65 feet. In reality the length of the boat is only part of what a person should consider when venturing out under such a warning. Weight, displacement and hull design are also important factors and an even more important consideration is the not only the craft, but the experience of the captain.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#12 · (Edited)
Untrue.

The USCG no longer defines "small craft" in terms of specific size. It used to be <65' but that has been removed from their website.

If you feel that your boat and skills are not up to the conditions, stay home.

Also, there is no set wind speed/wave height for SCAs. The NWS has local offices throughout the U.S. and each office defines what it determines will be a SCA based on local conditions. A SCA in the PNW may not have the same wind speed/wave height as one in the Chesapeake Bay.

From NOAA:

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY: An advisory issued by coastal and Great Lakes Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) for areas included in the Coastal Waters Forecast or Nearshore Marine Forecast (NSH) products. Thresholds governing the issuance of small craft advisories are specific to geographic areas. A Small Craft Advisory may also be issued when sea or lake ice exists that could be hazardous to small boats. There is no precise definition of a small craft. Any vessel that may be adversely affected by Small Craft Advisory criteria should be considered a small craft.Other considerations include the experience of the vessel operator, and the type, overall size, and sea worthiness of the vessel. There is no legal definition of "small craft". The Small Craft Advisory is an advisory in Coastal Waters and Nearshore forecasts for sustained winds, frequent gusts, or sea/wave conditions, exceeding defined thresholds specific to geographic areas. A Small Craft Advisory may also be issued when sea or lake ice exists that could be hazardous to small boats.

Eastern (ME..SC, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario) - Sustained winds or frequent gusts ranging between 25 and 33 knots (except 20 to 25 knots, lower threshold area dependent, to 33 knots for harbors, bays, etc.) and/or seas or waves 5 to 7 feet and greater, area dependent.

Central (MN..OH) - Sustained winds or frequent gusts (on the Great Lakes) between 22 and 33 knots inclusive, and/or seas or waves greater than 4 feet.

Southern (GA..TX and Caribbean) - Sustained winds of 20 to 33 knots, and/or forecast seas 7 feet or greater that are expected for more than 2 hours.

Western (WA..CA) - Sustained winds of 21 to 33 knots, potentially in combination with wave heights exceeding 10 feet (or wave steepness values exceeding local thresholds).

Alaska (AK) - Sustained winds or frequent gusts of 23 to 33 knots. A small craft advisory for rough seas may be issued for sea/wave conditions deemed locally significant, based on user needs, and should be no lower than 8 feet.

Hawaii (HI), Samoa - Sustained winds 25 knots or greater and seas 10 feet or greater.

Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands - Sustained winds 22 to 33 knots and/or combined seas of 10 feet or more.

"Frequent gusts"are typically long duration conditions (greater than 2 hours).

For a list of NWS Weather Offices by Region, refer to the following website: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/organization.php

#13 ·
Different strokes, I guess, but any breeze in the upper range of a SCA is certainly sufficient to get MY attention :) Particularly, if I need to be sailing to weather...

I don't care what sort of boat I'm on, 30 knots is a LOT of wind, IMHO...

Especially, in January... :) Lots of folks neglect to factor in how much 'heavier' the air can be in winter, this day behind the passage of a strong front off Cape Fear was easily the equivalent of a Fresh Gale in summertime...

#7 ·
The guiding advice I have received from this post is the "experience" factor of the captain and crew. This is our first year sailing. The forecast is 4-7 foot waves and 25-30 knot winds on Lake Michigan. We have a 5 hour trip ahead of us under the best of conditions. While I would like an exciting sail, I would prefer to get the experience in a day-sail setting without having to reach a destination under a schedule. I am looking forward to getting the experience and I think it would be thrilling, but not today. Safety first and experience is my limitation. Thanks!

#9 ·
That is reef weather. If you have never reefed your main, a SCA is not the best time to start scratching your head to figure it out. But, this is a learning opportunity. Take the time at the dock to learn how to reef and then practice it. Get five reefs/shakedowns under your belt at the dock, (just an hour or so of practice) and you'll have the procedure down, so that it is nearly instinctual.

#10 ·
Not sure where you are sailing out of and where you are going, but a day like today would not be a fun "first time in big stuff" day most anywhere on Lake Michigan. The north bouy and the Milwaukee bouy have been 17-24 knts since last evening. Projected higher winds this morning and starting to settle down late tonight. Projections are for occasional 10 footers.....steep ones!

Tomorrow and Thursday look like they could be perfect sailing days (dependent on where you are going) even though it will be a little cool. Wait until it starts to settle down and then go. If going down wind leave a little earlier, but watch it.

#11 ·
On my recent 70 mile coming home from Greenport which is west we went home on purpose during a classic Long Island NE storm which made for a great and very fast ride as wind and waves were working in are favor

Had I needed to go EAST it would have been the beat up the boat and the crew and just been silly to even leave the mooring :)

#16 ·
If I recall correctly, the term small craft, as utilized by NOAA and the USCG, until recently, referred to ALL vessels measuring 26 feet or less. The categorization was mainly applied to manufacturers in the use of flotation within the hulls of certain vessels. At one time, all vessels measuring 26 feet or less were required to have full, upright flotation and were categorized as "Small Craft." Vessels measuring 27 to 65 feet and larger were not required to have full, upright flotation. Vessels measuring more than 65 feet could not be operated by anyone other than a licensed captain with the proper credentials for a vessel of this size.

I have to get ready for work, but when I get home again I'll try to find the CFR information. I have not had to look at this kind of stuff for 25 years, so I may be a bit off on the size specifications.

Gary

#17 ·
If I recall correctly, the term small craft, as utilized by NOAA and the USCG, until recently, referred to ALL vessels measuring 26 feet or less. The categorization was mainly applied to manufacturers in the use of flotation within the hulls of certain vessels. At one time, all vessels measuring 26 feet or less were required to have full, upright flotation and were categorized as "Small Craft." Vessels measuring 27 to 65 feet and larger were not required to have full, upright flotation. Vessels measuring more than 65 feet could not be operated by anyone other than a licensed captain with the proper credentials for a vessel of this size.

I have to get ready for work, but when I get home again I'll try to find the CFR information. I have not had to look at this kind of stuff for 25 years, so I may be a bit off on the size specifications.

Gary
There is no size specified. See my post above.

#18 ·
I'd always thought of it as "recreational craft advisory" from a motorboat perspective (before I began sailing)... If your livelihood isn't depending on going out in it, maybe do something else with your day (off). I've had some really scary experiences in Zodiacs and what the Marine Corps calls 'Sea State 3'... there aren't many blue water boats smaller than a Zodiac 155.
Thanks for the informative posts all!

#21 ·
Over the last several years I have gone from SCA means "do not move" to SCA can be a good day to cover some ground. Bottom line for me is SCA means if you are in the wrong place, wrong time, inexperienced, boat is not properly prepped, etc you can have your ass handed to you. I only takes one of the many factors to have that happen. Still glad I got over the "do not move" cause that's how you learn. Dan S/V Marian Claire

#22 ·
It's another wind report, derived solely indoors, without opening even a small window to see if there is indeed any wind or perhaps if the wind that was predicted as 5-10 is now blowing at 30+. I just love those 30 knot days, waves over the bow, as NOAA weather keeps broadcasting, loud and clear, that the wind is blowing 10-15. Take it all with a BIG grain of salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.