Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
IPAD or...... ???

I'm considering going over to the Apple side... and getting an IPAD. Would use it for nav on the water and all the other cool stuff I've heard you can do w/ an IPAD.

But. but.... I also was told they are great for music, photos and email and not much else. Darn thing doesn't even have a USB port so I can't move stuff via a thumb drive. WTH is up w/ that?

What about some of the other touch screen type pad devices? Are they better/worse? Do they come w/ a USB port? Are their apps that I would want that only run on IPADs.

So confusing! (or do I just become a Luddite?)
Old 08-13-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: IPAD or...... ???

We have both an ipad and an Android based Nexus 10 but use the ipad for nav planning and Active Captain. Both Garmin and Raymarine support connection from some of their devices directly to an ipad. Some others might also but I do not know of any Android based tablet that supports this.

The ipad with the 3g/4g built in has a built in GPS. The WIFI only ipad does not and needs an external GPS. You can transfer files to/from the ipad via wifi. Getting camera photos loaded from your digital camera to an ipad is not convenient but it can be done. We have a laptop we use to manage our photos.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I'm currently building our navigation system around the iPad as a chartplotter. Here's the set up which inspired it:

Navigation System of the Gods!

I'll let you know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I love my iPad, but it isn't a substitute for a laptop or desktop. I don't think they are comparable. The iPad was designed to be used differently. I use it for all of the above including creating presentations, writing, note taking, project management, e-reading (books and magazines) etc and there are apps that mirror the capabilities of the MSOffice Suite just beautifully but no, there is no USB port. You can buy wireless external storage for it.

My only complaint is that I bought the largest capacity iPad available at the time and with my heavy podcast usage, I quickly ran out of room. Still, I don't regret buying one. At. All.

One difference that I see between the iPad and the Galaxy tablets is that on an iPad I can have only one thing running at a time. You can open multiple apps side by side on the other tablet. Fewer apps on the other tablets but more are being developed for both Apple and Android concurrently.
chef2sail likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-13-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

I have been using an IPad for a year now and love it. I generally use Garmin charts (which are excellent) and Active Captain and use it for plotting routes (very simple), comparing distances, storing waypoints, etc etc. I have a number of weather apps which provide excellent weather info. I use it off the boat as well for a myriad of things including star gazing, traffic and so on.

I picked up a holder for it that clamps to the binnacle and, in wet, weather, merely put it in a ziplock bag! and, yes, if I feel like it, I can have play some of my favorite tunes while at the helm!

The only issue is that the GPS will drain the battery in about 7 or 8 hours, so I need to install a power source for it at the helm. That will be a winter job!

During our recent trip, I kept a log of each day on the IPad and it was a simple matter of clicking "send" to email it to my family for their reading pleasure! Oh, and I just installed a "night sky" app which guides me through all the constellations that I don't know!

Old 08-13-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Nexus 7 is half the price, has a built in GPS, and has good support from Navionics, Raymarine, and others. The screen is also decent in sunlight.
Old 08-13-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Darn thing doesn't even have a USB port so I can't move stuff via a thumb drive. WTH is up w/ that?
yes, they are available now: The Wireless iPad USB Flash Drive - Hammacher Schlemmer

I would not leave the dock without my iPad. Most others already listed all the great things you can do with it. I also use it with the Garmin app, and can access Active Captain via the app. It is also great for weather and radar, accessing the NOAA site.
Some of the apps I use are:
CBW
BuoyDTA
TrackAShip
Knots Guide
MyRadar
WeatherBug
DarkSky

Old 08-13-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

I have an iPad and love it. But I guess I'm an "iPerson", I went full Mac some years back. If you have a Mac computer it's pretty easy to share things between the computer, the iPad, and the iPhone by using iCloud. I think there may be a way to do that if you have Windows box too, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I have an iPad and love it. But I guess I'm an "iPerson", I went full Mac some years back. If you have a Mac computer it's pretty easy to share things between the computer, the iPad, and the iPhone by using iCloud. I think there may be a way to do that if you have Windows box too, but I'm not sure.
You can use the Google app and store stuff in Dropbox or whatever it's called. I'm also a heavy user of Evernote and all its associated by-products. Works like a charm.

I have both apps but use Evernote more.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-13-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. thanks for the input. Not ready to commit to anything yet. (ask the Admiral how long it took me to *commit*!) Just trying to research it all now.

What I don't want to do is get some other device and find that some of the really cool apps aren't compatible.