Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Safety Notice To Mariners

How many of you wear a backpack while riding in a dinghy?
We see it a lot, often very large backpacks. I used to wear mine too.

But ask yourself...what will happen if you fall out of your dinghy wearing a backpack? Especially one loaded with heavy stuff. Going Down is not desirable in this situation.

And then there's the electronics you're invariably packing. If you fall out, you get wet and might have to shower. I usually don't like showering with electronics, your preferences may differ.

Be safe, take off the backpack while on the water.

Nothing further; xort out.
bljones likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Re: Safety Notice To Mariners

Very good observation/advice. Been thinking about using my Eagle combat pack for toting stuff to the boat for overnighters.
Old 08-13-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Good post. A few years ago we had a young Lt. at Hurlburt Field drown on Father's Day while paddling his new kayak while wearing a back pack. Tragic to say the least.
Old 08-13-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

I use to take a 20 minute dinghy ride to work and back, I started wearing a fanny pack life jacket after I took a small tumble ( it wasn't graceful, but I didn't fall in the water!).
Quiksilver PFD Belt Pack for Stand Up Paddlers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
While you are struggling from the awkward weight of your backpack, will you be able to get that minimal inflatable fanny pack life vest around your neck? Maybe
Old 08-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
How many of you wear a backpack while riding in a dinghy?
We see it a lot, often very large backpacks. I used to wear mine too.

But ask yourself...what will happen if you fall out of your dinghy wearing a backpack? Especially one loaded with heavy stuff. Going Down is not desirable in this situation.
Excellent advice, of course...

Still, my first thought is that it's just SO much better not to fall out of your dinghy to begin with :-)

Getting in and out of a dink, sure, in certain conditions it could be pretty easy to take a tumble... But, once one is underway, one really has to be pretty klutzy, unaware, or drunk, to fall out of a tender...

Good argument for a small outboard, sitting on the bottom, centerline, rather than outboard on the tubes or gunwale.. Or, rowing works, too... In my experience, it's pretty tough to fall out of a boat while rowing it :-)

Of course, once you make it down to Georgetown, Exumas - where all the Kool Kroozers tool around in their SUV tenders Rodeo Cowboy-style - it becomes a lot easier to envision how easily one might fall out of a dinghy...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-13-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

My Father in law got tossed from his dink; don't remember why he stopped but, he forgot the motor was in gear, stood up to start it and away it went. had we not been close by or even looking at the time, we would have never known.

Oh, he did have a PFD though, it was on the floor of the dink and yes he did catch a boat load of grief about that one

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-13-2013

I see a LOT of people siting on the tube. Many dinks now only come with one seat forward, pretty well requiring that you add a seat or sit on the tube.

One moment of inattention with an unexpected boat wake and bub-bye.

I often 'cowboy'. The ride is drier, sometimes it can be quite choppy in the anchorage. And feeling like I'm Benito Mussolini riding in the back of the staff car is a bonus! Everyone salutes me as I go by, some kind of cruisers single finger salute I have yet to discern the meaning of. It's quite nice that they toss me fruit too.

But never while wearing a backpack
Old 08-13-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

good advice, xort.
In fact, two seasons ago, I damn near got pulled from my dingy because I was wearing a back pack.
Quack has a 2hp "point and pull" OB- unless you are pointing in exactly the rihgt direction when she kicks, you have some quick tiller work to do.
And sometimes she doesn't start on the first pull. or the second. or ...
five pulls later, she starts, and in the effort to get her started i am now facing the bow of a boat, and am damn near under the pulpit, with a delta anchor hanging down. I duck, as we putt under the anchor...
which snags the (now highest point on the dinghy) carrying handle of my backpack. i am pulled upright, luckily past the anchor, then back towards the transom, as the pack slides down my arms. I let go of the tiller, the pack pulls free, hanging from the anchor, the dinghy swings out with no arm on the tiller, I collect mythoughts, the tiller, and continue to circle back to the dangling pack and snag it on the fly. I waved at the onlookers at the time...
And a half hour later I stopped shaking.

It changed my OB starting and gear stowage doctrine. Packs go in dry sacks in the floor of the dinghy, and my OB starting situational awareness is higher. paddle out before you pull.

Old 08-13-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dunno, xort. if I can ditch a double scuba tank rig while I'm holding my breath in the water, I figure I can certainly ditch my daypack (although I probably wouldn't) and certainly ditch the *ing huge pack.

Nothing new there, backpackers used to be aware that they'd need to quickly ditch a full pack if they slipped while crossing a stream.

Besides, thre's a convenient handle on the top of the pack, that can be used to haul me back onboard. :-)