Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Re: Someone tied up my boat.

I'm so glad I have finger docks, port and starboard. Docks are getting old though. Was there a couple weeks ago, worked on the boat, retyed her off - two at bow and two at stern. Couple days later I come back down to get something and noticed my starboard bow line in the water, and port side bow line laying on the dock. Boat only secured at the stern. The cleats were gone - just ripped out of the dock and went to the bottom of the deep blue sea. Tied off to neighboring boat owners' cleats, called my marine landlord, and next day had nice new cleats and he tied me off.

I'm very thankful to have a very attentive, and helpful, landlord at the boat.

Personally, if I see a problem with others' boats, I'll take the time to either contact the landlord or take care of it myself. I don't think anybody down there has a problem with that, and we are all equally as helpful. Thanks for that.

Old 08-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

That is why, I have a rule now that I don't touch anyone's lines unless they are at risk of damaging my boat or they are currently damaging theirs.

People are funny about how they tie up their boats. I am no different. And when I move your lines, I feel that I now become responsible for it.

My opinions.

Brian
rugosa likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I don't touch anyone's lines unless they are at risk of damaging my boat or they are currently damaging theirs.
Those are the only logical reasons to touch anyone's lines. As per the OP, if someone has stepped aboard and ADDED two lines, with nothing being REMOVED from the boat, nothing being disturbed, nothing missing, then, logically, they were there with the intent of solving an evident problem, not causing harm- it was apparent to someone that your boat needed two more lines. Someone will likely own up in the next couple of days, in which case , say "Thanks." they may have saved your bacon.

No one here has a problem with a boat in peril being boarded, and lines being adjusted or added, or halyards tightened or tied off if required. It's neighbourly boatkeeping, that keeps us low on the marina's radar. the more we tend to ourselves, the less we have to worry about the redshirts sending nasty letters about additional dinghies and kayaks or unapproved dock improvements like beer pong tables and umbrellas.

Sometimes after storms the booze fairy stops by our boat, and anonymously leaves beer or wine in the cockpit. Apparently adjusting lines pays off from time to time.
abrahamx likes this.

Last edited by bljones; 08-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No one here has a problem with a boat in peril being boarded, and lines being adjusted or added, or halyards tightened or tied off if required. It's neighbourly boatkeeping, that keeps us low on the marina's radar. the more we tend to ourselves, the less we have to worry about the redshirts sending nasty letters about additional dinghies and kayaks or unapproved dock improvements like beer pong tables and umbrellas.
Precisely why we take care of each other, and only if absolutely necessary will anyone board somebody's boat, even though the marina guy is awesome, but he's getting old, and he hurts a lot, from war injuries. .. however, there was this one time last year, somebody helped themselves to my BBQ gas off the back rail and left me a nice set of sunglasses in the cockpit. Well worth the price of a small canister of propane.
Old 08-15-2013

steel is on a distinguished road

I tied up a pontoon boat once. The stern was tied up to the handrail with 1/4" line. The handrail is much higher than the dock and it make quite a large angle. Well it broke and the stern swung around. So I got some line that someone gave me and tied it directly above the pontoon. Two weeks later nobody had done anything with it!