Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

I agree that the speed of a trimarran is exhilarating and boats like these can be a thrill to sail on a short passage. I also think that a boat like the Explorer 44 looks like a great boat in certain ventues, one that would be fun to sail. But the limited weight capacity and weight distribution issues were one of the reasons that I sold my trimarran and is why I have never owned one since.

But the argument is not whether the Explorer 44 is a good boat, but more of one whose very presence relative to the voyage would disrupt the credibility and flow of the story line. Its a lot like the movie 'Wind'. If you are ever feeling down and dissed, and you need some adulation from some fellow sailors, all you need to do is stand before some sailros and blurt out, "Its time to break out the Womper". Suddenly, you are the sailing equivalent of Jerry Seinfeld, cracking up an audience with a pithy comment on society.

And it did not take sailors to perceive the silliness of the Womper. People who knew nothing about boats would ask me about that scene since it somehow seemed illogical to them.

To me, the choice of this particular boat is just another Womper, a cheap dramatic gimmick, that is unless the author can come up with a compelling reason that is seamlessly part of the plotline to chose this design.
wingNwing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Whats funny to me, is, here we are on SAILING forum. And every body is say'n , oh you can't cross the oceans on that, or that boat will never do it, that would be torture. Come on.
The pointy it end is the front, the triangle cloth thing catches the god dang wind, and go.
Once again it seems the majority of nay sayers are Chessy sailors or there abouts. Jeez.
DeeB likes this.
DeeB (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I keep going back Chris W.'s web sight and looking at the thing. it's fine. More of a boat than my little Soverel 28. More of a boat than that father and son rounded the Horn in.
DeeB likes this.
DeeB (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

So Dee, are you seeing your heroine doing something like this?
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
Author in research mode

DeeB is on a distinguished road

Once again, thanks to everyone for their precious input.

I would just like to point out that fiction, unless it wants to be utter fantasy, only reflects the reality of human nature. Even then, the author who can completely detach his story from any aspect of humanity is yet to start writing.

In the 'real' world, people do things that may not seem quite right to others. Some are deemed too conservative, some too little. It's a matter of perspective. We make mistakes, lots of them and all the time. So condemn a real sailor (or a fictitious one) for choosing a boat that is 'not quite right' (in your opinion but not necessarily that of others) because it would make a journey tough or neigh impossible? What, you mean to tell me that you've never met or even heard of someone who did exactly the same and still succeeded? Surely you can't be saying that it's okay for these things to happen in real life but not in fiction...

If people didn't attempt the impossible because they had to or just felt compelled to, the United States of America would still be a vast expanse of uncharted land.

Apart from that, I can think of a dozen of ways to get around the difficulties mentioned by Jeff (as well as others) and still make the story work. And that's before I even start thinking about it.
As I have pointed out to you before, Jeff, there are many things you don't know about my characters, let alone the story. So making assumptions as to whether they would do this or wouldn't do that is, at best, ambitious.

I wish I could tell you more about the story, if only to put your mind(s) at rest. Those who have written already, I am told they are numerous in this community, will understand why I can't. All I am able to do is give my assurance that the reason(s) why the boat is not exactly fit for the purpose of that particular journey makes complete sense. Until you get to read the manuscript or, even better, the book, you're going to have to take my word for it.

I perfectly get all the points that have been made on this thread, agree with those I already knew about and trust you on those I didn't –although I will check

Thanks again to everyone for their help on this thread. I intend to post more in the future and hope to the sea gods that they will generate as much controversy –it is a mine of inspiration.

Dee

Last edited by DeeB; 08-21-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

When I posted the foiling tri video I was curious if something like this may be what you may have in mind for the story Ė some breakneck speed sailing in a somewhat fragile boat to complete the quest.

I donít remember you saying this was a sailing story. Iíve taken it to be a story that has a sailing backdrop to replace a land-based backdrop. That would mean the typical reader wouldnít be a knowledgeable sailor and therefore technical details arenít as much an issue.

In choosing a lightning fast but not bluewater tested sailboat, an author could use it to outrun a storm that might otherwise break it apart. Laying the groundwork for the reader to understand this could add to the suspense. Itís fiction. The author controls the weather too.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
Author in research mode

DeeB is on a distinguished road

I am putting this at the end of the thread (well, maybe anyway) so it is in a more prominent position.

THIS (see below) was a shitty comment on my part. It was bad tempered, bitchy and arrogant, as well as a few other things that don't reflect well on me at all. I was rather ashamed when I re-read it, albeit too late.

I have apologised to the lady but it would have no value at all if I didn't do it as publicly as I had made the comment in the first place, so here goes.

No amount of frustration can justify such rudeness and I am truly sorry.

The term 'd***h**d' was previously mentioned on this thread (by me, in the same moment of grumpiness). So that everyone knows, in the light of what is quoted below, I am applying it to myself as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
That's only one of the very many reasons why you're not writing this book

Let me handle the plotting and in exchange I promise not to tell you how to sail your boat.
aeventyr60 likes this.

Last edited by DeeB; 08-21-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Dee, I think you should start another thread asking if your characters should carry a gun on the boat. Trust me, it'll be fun.
aeventyr60, JulieMor and DeeB like this.
Old 08-21-2013
KNOT KNOWN

There is such a thing as too much logic. If we really think, as passage makers on little plastic boats, about what we are doing, it's kinda friken crazy. Over think it, loose faith in the boat's ability to do what it was built to do, and we're just going to sail in circles around the bay. Which is fine for 90% of the sailors out there. It's Grit that pushes us and our boat over the horizon. Some can and do, some can't and won't.
DeeB likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-21-2013 at 11:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt.aaron For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Dee, I think you should start another thread asking if your characters should carry a gun on the boat. Trust me, it'll be fun.
Nope, that's been done to death - BUT - which anchor/s to carry! As potential plot devices they're bloody staggering! Anchors are literally the literary sine qua non of any fast, fragile, feckless, feline bluewater big bad boat race against nature, nurture, time, and all the odds....
Minnesail likes this.