Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

I'd look at the entry list of the Transpac. Look at some if the boats am see if there are any that can also be used as a cruiser. One that I may throw out there is a Beneteau First 30. I know of one that's been to Hawaii and back a few times. It's small enough to singlehand if needed and is faster than most cruising boats yet not quite race fast. Has a full interior that's pretty nice. It's something someone with a good chuck o cash would buy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

As you are probably starting to see, just as the boat suggestions reflect the personalities of the people making the suggestion, the choice of the perfect boat is heavily dependent on the personality of your characters, and the personality of the sailing masters your character learned from.

And the choice of the boat, is heavily dependent on the departure time of year and the choice of route. As was noted, if I had to sail a smallish boat to Micronesia from Marseille, I would head for the northern coast of South America using the diurnal winds on the South American coast to get past the duldrums, and then head to South Africa around Cape Horn. I would then stay south and jump to Australia or even New Zealand, before going on to Micronesia.

Going that route takes one kind of boat. Going the opposite direction takes a very different boat. It also says something about the crew. Going the Cape Horn route says you have a serious experienced crew trying to get somewhere fast, the boat would be optimized for the beating it will take along the way. Going the other way says you have 'tourists' who want to take in the scenery along the way.

And while the heading west route can be done in a sub-40 footer that is island hoping in tourist mode, it would be hard to do in serious fast sailing mode in a boat that small. If your characters are serious sailors, concerned with time spent en-passage, and are trying to do this in very big hops as you suggest, then the boat probably needs to be in mid-40 foot range, and comparatively light for its length.

Then again, this response reflects my personality as you probably can see.

Jeff
DeeB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

If budget is no object, a Catana Catamaran would be my choice.
DeeB likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm having a hard time reconciling a character who needs to "get there fast" with going by sailboat.
jimgo likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
As you are probably starting to see, just as the boat suggestions reflect the personalities of the people making the suggestion, the choice of the perfect boat is heavily dependent on the personality of your characters, and the personality of the sailing masters your character learned from.
Not to mention, the nationality of the protagonist would likely heavily influence the choice of boat... Assuming a departure from Marseille might indicate he's French, it would not be very likely his choice would be, say, a Bowman, or a Moody, or a Hunter Legend... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-18-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Tsk-tsk. Poor Dee! Has to take a year or two off for some serious sailing to get the details right. Tough job!
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

You could always have them just steal a boat knowing nothing about it. That way the incorrect terms and screw ups could be explained (hidden).
DeeB likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-18-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

One of the protagonists is " a very good sailer, a bit of a genius who's been trained very hard by the very best."

It's more about finding a believable boat, taking the schooner 'TIKI' over a Mirror dinghy. No offense to Mirror sailors!
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-18-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I'm having a hard time reconciling a character who needs to "get there fast" with going by sailboat.
Here's the story line as I've gathered from Dee:

The main character is a world class woman sailor. A person or persons buys the "perfect boat" Dee is trying to find for the heroine to sail from Marseille to Gibraltar to Panama to Hawaii to the Marshalls and finally to Micronesia. All of the stops are important to the story.

My guess is the heroine either volunteered for this mission or has the proverbial gun to her head and has to go. Whatever the need for speed, that comes from the person(s) for whom she's heading out on this mission. I'm assuming the person(s) behind this mission probably don't care about the heroine's comfort. Dee did say she has to be challenged and she may or may not be singlehanding the boat on some legs.

Early on I was thinking a proven bluewater cruiser. But knowing what I do now, I'm thinking an Open 40. It would work if the heroine had placed well or won open ocean races. And the French seem to have a penchant for these boats.
DeeB likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013
Author in research mode

DeeB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, in order to obtain more specific recommendations, you would have be more specific as to this exceptionally talented fictional character's BUDGET...

Just like in real life :-)
See post #6
Budget not an issue

Just tell me what boat you would choose and rest assured that no-one is going to make the decision for me. Any specific reply that I get helps me know where to start looking, then the research really begins. Vague replies do not help, because at this point I still know too little to sort through the many possibilities they suggest.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.