Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013
Author in research mode

DeeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I'm having a hard time reconciling a character who needs to "get there fast" with going by sailboat.
That's only one of the very many reasons why you're not writing this book

Let me handle the plotting and in exchange I promise not to tell you how to sail your boat.
Old 08-18-2013
Author in research mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If budget is no object, a Catana Catamaran would be my choice.
Thanks for that. From their web page it looks like the Catana 47 is rigged to be handled solo if needed. Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-18-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I didn't read much of the other posts, but that was what I was going to suggest. Cumfy for the new sailor because of the way she rides on the sea. Easy for the genius guy to rig for solo sailing, and faster than any mono hull will be.
DeeB likes this.
DeeB (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
That's only one of the very many reasons why you're not writing this book

Let me handle the plotting and in exchange I promise not to tell you how to sail your boat.
I think your book will get relegated to the junk pile or maybe sold in the bin at Costco for $1.99.

People trying to write sailing books that don't sail. Yeah right. Maybe you could ad some realism to your story by actually getting out here and doing it. That's if you have any stones...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013
Author in research mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
My suggestion:
* Take sailing classes at a local school with cruising boats.
* Have this conversation with your instructor during a lunch break.
* When the class is over go on a captained trip using one of the cruising boats that is capable of such a voyage and get to sail it a little bit yourself.

The book will read much more authentically if the boat that you write about is one that you've sailed on. It isn't that important that it is a specific make and model, it's more important that when you write a little bit about sailing that it sounds like you've sailed similar boats before.
As I said somewhere else:

I am smiling because of the few comments that I've gotten along the lines of 'go sailing yourself' or 'get an instructor'. Who ever said I wasn't?

When I started on this story years ago I had done a bit of scuba diving in the med as a child. Since some of the story has to do with diving, I decided I didn't know enough about it. I left everything behind (job, friends, boyfriend, cats) and went to leave in South-East Asia and the Middle-East for two years. I trained as a scuba instructor so I could support myself. I ended up doing a lot of technical diving and some commercial too. No-one there called me a fraud and I'm hoping my readers won't either. I loved every day of it of course.

Now I'm getting to write another part of the book which has to do with a long sailing journey across the oceans. What do you think I'm going to do? Why would anyone automatically assume that I'm happy with just asking questions on the Internet? What makes these people think that I haven't yet started taking lessons at our local club? Is it lack of imagination, snobbery or arrogance that dominates their thinking pattern? How about we all stopped making assumptions and just got on instead?

The truth is that sailing is a much bigger subject than Scuba, although there probably would be some proud diver to disagree. One instructor, as good as they may be, will not hold all the answers. As Jeff has already pointed out, anyone's answer will only reflect their personality. Even if I wanted to spend another two years writing the book, it wouldn't be enough to give me the combined knowledge that all of you hold. A lifetime wouldn't be enough. So I have to ask, even if it means becoming the recipient of other people's negative, unimaginative projections and uncourteous manners. I don't care. What I'm doing matters too much and anyway and there are so many very good people to make up for the others.
peoples1234 likes this.
Old 08-18-2013
Author in research mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
People trying to write sailing books that don't sail. Yeah right. Maybe you could ad some realism to your story by actually getting out here and doing it. That's if you have any stones...
See my previous post.

Honey, if you don't like my approach to research, go and get yourself another thread to reply to.
JimMcGee and Capt.aaron like this.
Old 08-18-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Yeah, sailors can be dicks. Especially the kind that race. You can alway's tell weather or not someone who paints or draws pictures of sail boats has ever spent any time actually using them by the missing heads stays and backwards booms, no anchor line and such. I'm gald you are taking the initiative to do some broad research. This is the perfect place to ask about boat types because the topic comes up all the time here so we are all educated a little from each other on what's what. Collectivly we know a lot. That guy Jeff H knows more about the nuances of all the models out there than any body I've read. The worst book I've read recently was J. Pattersons SAIL. He was way off on how a voyage happens. Good story though. You could read that and get some insight towards how not to write about sailing. Any way's, best of luck to you, looking forward to reading it.
DeeB likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-18-2013 at 07:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt.aaron For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As for multihull, I have wondered the same thing as well but have been told that cross ing the Pacific solo on a Cat was as rare as chicken teeth. Of course there is a second person on board to assist with watch etc. BUT the person who selected that particular boat had to assume that a solo was likely.
Cruise on over to The Slapdash | No Fixed Address, two sailing novices sailed around the world on a 34' Gemini catamaran. They did it slow and easy, took lots of photos and wrote a blog, but they went through the panama canal, crossed the pacific and did a fair bit of island hopping. I've read the whole blog (~4 years) I think that their attractive, fast, comfortable boat would work well for your purposes.

Edit: While they took it slow around the world they tried to make the passages a as fast as possible, and in stormy conditions were able to approach 20 knots at times and regularly logged 100+nm days. Your expert could probably coax pretty quick passages out of it and the low draft and ability to beach at low tide might come up if they are trying to stay low profile. Lightly used models go for ~130k in the states, don't know about Europe.
kegggggggg and DeeB like this.

Last edited by Grunthrie; 08-18-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: more information occurred to me on a re-read
The Following User Says Thank You to Grunthrie For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
See my previous post.

Honey, if you don't like my approach to research, go and get yourself another thread to reply to.
Research is fine honey, but a little experience will do wonders for your book, unless your too blind to the obvious. Were you one of those "100 dive wonder"
instructors too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
See post #6
Budget not an issue

Just tell me what boat you would choose and rest assured that no-one is going to make the decision for me. Any specific reply that I get helps me know where to start looking, then the research really begins. Vague replies do not help, because at this point I still know too little to sort through the many possibilities they suggest.
In that case, a Tag 60 would probably do nicely...

http://www.tagyachts.com/

DeeB likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)