Choosing the Perfect Boat - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 109 Old 08-18-2013

Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
Thanks for that. From their web page it looks like the Catana 47 is rigged to be handled solo if needed. Can anyone confirm?
Most any boat can be set up to be single-handed by a reasonably skilled sailor. But I would not expect this to be a particularly good choice single-handed voyage of the kind that you character is taking. Boats like these are best suited for carrying a larger crew for comparatively shorter trans atlantic hops than they are for the long hops you are proposing. Boats like these take a fair amount of attention if they are being pushed hard to make time. That is not the kind of thing that makes sense single-handed and an experienced sailor like you character, would know that and make a different choice.
aeventyr60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 109 Old 08-18-2013 Thread Starter
Author in research mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Indeed and agreed. I read too quick and jump to conclusions.
No, you had read me right in the first place. Our local sailing club is full of very helpful people, although I have heard of a couple of unpleasants. I am finding that sailing lessons do a great deal to improve one's writing on the subject too

Cheers

Dee
Author in research mode
post #53 of 109 Old 08-18-2013
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Most any boat can be set up to be single-handed by a reasonably skilled sailor. But I would not expect this to be a particularly good choice single-handed voyage of the kind that you character is taking. Boats like these are best suited for carrying a larger crew for comparatively shorter trans atlantic hops than they are for the long hops you are proposing. Boats like these take a fair amount of attention if they are being pushed hard to make time. That is not the kind of thing that makes sense single-handed and an experienced sailor like you character, would know that and make a different choice.
You are just another negative , what did she call them , oh yes dickheads.

Hey ... how does d***h**ds get through the wordgrinder ?

Anyway, Jeff, you need to get with the program. Negativity negativity negativity. Its all I hear from some of you people. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
The Following User Says Thank You to tdw For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)
post #54 of 109 Old 08-18-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
No, you had read me right in the first place. Our local sailing club is full of very helpful people, although I have heard of a couple of unpleasants. I am finding that sailing lessons do a great deal to improve one's writing on the subject too

Cheers
No I know, I was being sarcastic. 'cept for the part about being a dick, but atleast I own up to it. Back on task, I think your character may be the sort that would design and have their own boat built, rather than a production, Probably a a trimaran. That's what I would do if I was wicked smart and had no budget limitations, and wanted fast.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
post #55 of 109 Old 08-18-2013

Any cruising boat designer strives to make his own designs the perfect boat based on his own experience ( or lack of it)and that of his clients, and their feedback over may years . That is what I have tried to do . So obviously, my 36 would be my first choice for a couple.
DeeB likes this.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
The Following User Says Thank You to Brent Swain For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)
post #56 of 109 Old 08-18-2013 Thread Starter
Author in research mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
No I know, I was being sarcastic. 'cept for the part about being a dick, but atleast I own up to it. Back on task, I think your character may be the sort that would design and have their own boat built, rather than a production, Probably a a trimaran. That's what I would do if I was wicked smart and had no budget limitations, and wanted fast.
You're right but (and maybe I should have said) she doesn't choose the boat. It is chosen for her, along with the itinerary of the journey, by someone who:
- Knows how talented she is
- Holds great interest in her safety
- Wants to challenge her a little nevertheless
- Has bottomless pockets
- Is not sure whether she will be accompanied or not so has to come up with a boat that can be single handled and accommodate two
- Needs her to complete the journey as quickly as possible.
She finds out about the boat at the same time as she finds out about the trip, pretty much.

As for why the journey is done westward through Panama instead of eastward through Suez is a matter of plot, which I'm afraid I can't share anymore than I have already.

So, knowing all of this, how does the choice of the Catana 47 hold in your opinion? If there are objections then great, because it will feed the story

Dee
Author in research mode
post #57 of 109 Old 08-18-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I think who ever picked the boat for her would have it custom built for her and would build a trimamarn built for speed, and comfort. Probbably some kind of aluminum thing.

post #58 of 109 Old 08-18-2013 Thread Starter
Author in research mode

I have of course thought that having the person who sets it all up custom-order the boat would be ideal. And it would, for sure. Others have suggested it, just proving how good an idea it is. But as I have mentioned elsewhere, I know too little about sailboats to be able to 'make one up'. With a production boat I have the benefit of tons of documentation from the manufacturer, 'for sale' listings, reviews etc. it doesn't mean that the boat couldn't be customised, though. For example with the Catana I don't see why the cabins couldn't be repurposed for storage, as all that will be needed is the main one. But this is for another thread

Dee
Author in research mode
post #59 of 109 Old 08-18-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Well, boats like the Cantana need to be loaded correctly, You can't just fill up a cabin with all kinds of gear. I'm no designer. But I think with some research you could find the right consultant to help you build the right boat. I guess if Mr. deep pockets was just going to go out and buy a production boat specicaly for her, he still might go trimaran. My freind jokes that he could kick his way out of the hull of his Cantana becuase it's lightly built.

post #60 of 109 Old 08-18-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I'm thinking of somethimg like a Chris Wright Trimaran, customized with electric sh!t for single handling.
DeeB likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-18-2013 at 10:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt.aaron For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-19-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.