Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

A stock standard Benetau 50 would be fine for your fantasy. Plenty of others are giving it a go. Just look in all the marinas, heaps of 40 and 50 footers, just waiting to go cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013
Author in research mode

DeeB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I'm thinking of somethimg like a Chris Wright Trimaran, customized with electric sh!t for single handling.
Yes, it has been suggested elsewhere and I'm looking at the Explorer 44. It looks like all the controls already are in the same place, so with electric stuff as you say...
Old 08-19-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
You're right but (and maybe I should have said) she doesn't choose the boat. It is chosen for her, along with the itinerary of the journey, by someone who:

[snip]

- Needs her to complete the journey as quickly as possible.

She finds out about the boat at the same time as she finds out about the trip, pretty much.
Hmmm, why does the name Abby Sunderland come to mind?

Hope your story has a happier ending than hers :-)

Old 08-19-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, it has been suggested elsewhere and I'm looking at the Explorer 44. It looks like all the controls already are in the same place, so with electric stuff as you say...
I say the Explorer 44 would be perfect. Maybe a little beefed up with some extra glass on the stress areas. Like a custom job for her mission or what ever.
I also say, as a single handler who has alway's done things the old way. No roller furling, hand raising my anchor, etc. etc. I said to my self on my voyage last May from Key West to Honduras, which ws only 7 day's off shore, that I was over working the fore deck in the middle of the night and over putting in and shaking out reefs in my main. I was with my 72 year old father in law, so basically single handling. I'm ready for a roller furling main and head sail.
I would never my self go all electric winches and auto matic this and that, but your character and her funder may do exactly that, automatic sh!t they do these day's is other worldy. Just read some hight tech sail mags and stuff.
DeeB likes this.
DeeB (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013
Author in research mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hmmm, why does the name Abby Sunderland come to mind?
Haha, couldn't be any further.
I found out about her while doing my research. Brave kid but not my type of story.
Old 08-19-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The Explorer 44 is a neat boat, very fast, but it can't carry enough food and water for one person, let alone two people, to make the long hops that has been proposed. There would need to be a lot more island hoping. The water almost might get by with solar panels and a water maker, but carrying enough food and gear would be very tough. The interior layout makes no sense even as a middle distance cruiser. No where to sleep where the noise and motion wouldn't beat you up quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-19-2013
KNOT KNOWN

If I can carry enough on my 28 foot sloop, I don't see how I would'nt be able to do it with the Explorer. Bladders, water maker, and dehydrated food. I can put 6 months of food on my boat and I carry 165 gallons of water. And sleeping has got to be more cumfy on a multi than a little mono.
Old 08-20-2013
Author in research mode

Hm Jeff, I think that Chris White and his wife would disagree with you on that one. I'm getting in touch with owners and will make sure to ask them the question as well. If I have to fit in a couple extra stops no problem.
As for comfort, I've never mentioned it as a spec. Quite the opposite.
Old 08-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As for comfort, I've never mentioned it as a spec. Quite the opposite.
If the person choosing this boat does, indeed, "hold great interest in her safety", then a modicum of comfort should certainly be a consideration...

Discomfort over the course of long passages will be a major contributor - especially in the case of solo or shorthanded crew - to exhaustion, fatigue, and similar factors that will result in the diminishing of safety...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
If I can carry enough on my 28 foot sloop, I don't see how I would'nt be able to do it with the Explorer. Bladders, water maker, and dehydrated food. I can put 6 months of food on my boat and I carry 165 gallons of water. And sleeping has got to be more cumfy on a multi than a little mono.
Yeah, but I'll bet Chris White would positively cringe at the notion of putting 1,300 pounds of water on his Explorer 44, and what it would do to her performance :-)
Old 08-20-2013
KNOT KNOWN

You just gotta spread it around. I have a 65 gal tank under the V bearth and 2 20 gal bladders where the engine was, a few jerry cans and bottled water stuck here and there. That dang trimaran would perform great with the extra weight off shore. I've deliverd some Tris that size, they are extremely comfy.