Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat delivery list

I'm always going on last minuet short boat movings. New old boats being moved 25 to 50 miles up or down a coast. These little jaunts don't require the same list as an off shore passage. I have a bag. A bag with a little but powerful west marine led rechargable spot light. This thing will make or break you in an over board situation or un light channel entrance. I have a little first aid kit, my fowly's, a red light head lamp, my spot, a hand held gps, a hand held compass and my Tow Boat U.S. memebership. I insist on having a good anchor and a decent dinghy on board. I usually have my own paper charts of the area. I grab this kit often and set off. Any times I have broken down or been injured, all of these things have been usefull to have. No list is ever complete, but you gotta go some time and some time's that is right now. The Marina is kicking you out, or the weather say's now or next month, or what ever. The way we throw together last minuet, short, coastal boat relocations is different than our week at sea or long term cruise. If you over think it you'll never leave. If you have a way to get off the boat in an emergency, a way to anchor the boat and a way to get a tow if you're close but broke down, you're ready.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-19-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I'm always going on last minuet short boat movings. New old boats being moved 25 to 50 miles up or down a coast. These little jaunts don't require the same list as an off shore passage. I have a bag. A bag with a little but powerful west marine led rechargable spot light. This thing will make or break you in an over board situation or un light channel entrance. I have a little first aid kit, my fowly's, a red light head lamp, my spot, a hand held gps, a hand held compass and my Tow Boat U.S. memebership. I insist on having a good anchor and a decent dinghy on board. I usually have my own paper charts of the area. I grab this kit often and set off. Any times I have broken down or been injured, all of these things have been usefull to have. No list is ever complete, but you gotta go some time and some time's that is right now. The Marina is kicking you out, or the weather say's now or next month, or what ever. The way we throw together last minuet, short, coastal boat relocations is different than our week at sea or long term cruise. If you over think it you'll never leave. If you have a way to get off the boat in an emergency, a way to anchor the boat and a way to get a tow if you're close but broke down, you're ready.
Thanks Capt.
I was hoping you would show up here as I know you do this a lot.

I have everything you mentioned on my go bag plus a lot more stuff.
I will add the spot light. That I don't have but have wished I had on a few occasions. I'll get one.
Old 08-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

We have one of those 1,000,000 candle power jobs. They are great for ruining the night vision on nearby boats and even your own crew members if not used carefully.
Great for lighting up your sails for increased visibility though.
Some of my night vision still remains (knocks wood) so I consider this to be a piece of emergency equipment.
It is also just another battery to be charged up but nice to have on board.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Well, down here in the key's it's the only way to see the next marker in a lot of the little channels and creeks. Down in Honduras it's a crucial piece of equipment as well.
I'm a saftey nut, but, as a far as near coastal, with in 10 miles of shore, doing these " just bought a boat need to go collect it" trips are concearned. We often put our faith in our resourcefullness. If you are running close enough to shore that you can dinghy in in an emergency (fire), anchor the boat even if not in an ideal spot ( Engine fail, no wind) or get a tow ( almost there, broke down) than we just get it done. This is not for the kids or the family trips. As far as getting towed, I've actually only done it once with Sea tow. I've alway's been able to sail them home. I will say that they don't ask if you are getting paid to deliver the boat, and you don't boast that fact. You call, you say you want a tow, they get you, you tip the dude end of story.
davidpm likes this.
Old 08-20-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Another thing I would want in my bag would be Binoculars. Basically anything I can see previous owner grabbing on the way off the boat. 12 volt cell phone charger as well, because you will not likely be far out of cell phone range, but may be out of battery range. My cell phone eats it's battery very quickly when I into marginal range, especially if the GPS is on. I would wire up a set of alligator clips to a multi cigarette lighter outlet as well to make sure I could bypass the breaker panel if need be, and can be used to power any handheld devices like gps, and even possibly chart plotter and tiller pilot if need be. I really distrust boat electronics till they have been gone over very well.
Old 08-20-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Before you get out of sight of land, check the magnetic compass against known objects, using a range if possible, paying particular attention to the longest headings you'll have to steer. The deviation card may be incorrect, or missing.

(this may mean less now with electronics and GPS than it did when I did most of my deliveries, as a teenager in New England in the '60s when my dad was a yacht broker. Usually I had a brand new boat with an un-swung compass as the sole nav aid. But it really helped back then on occasion when i found as much as a ten-degree error, which can really get you lost on a long leg.)
Old 08-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Before you get out of sight of land, check the magnetic compass against known objects, using a range if possible, paying particular attention to the longest headings you'll have to steer. The deviation card may be incorrect, or missing.
Deviation card??? You're kidding, I presume... :-) Besides the one on my own boat, I haven't seen one of those in years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
(this may mean less now with electronics and GPS than it did when I did most of my deliveries, as a teenager in New England in the '60s when my dad was a yacht broker. Usually I had a brand new boat with an un-swung compass as the sole nav aid. But it really helped back then on occasion when i found as much as a ten-degree error, which can really get you lost on a long leg.)
Yup, sounds familiar...

When I started out, running Marine Traders fresh off the ship from Taiwan, the sole navigation instrument aboard would be an Airguide "Saturn" compass, still stowed away in its box with a few life jackets, a flare kit, and a couple of fire extinguishers (Never did quite get the logic of naming a compass for a different planet than the one you're on, but what the hey...)

First order of business upon clearing Manasquan or Barnegat Inlet, was to set a course as straight as possible down the beach, and then duct tape the compass in a matching alignment to the proper magnetic heading...

It was pretty spooky, sometimes, how far askew that mounting bracket might be :-)

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, the first time I delivered a boat that had a depth sounder... I reckon I made the trip South a few dozen times without one...

When I finally started running boats with autopilots, then I KNEW I had truly found Paradise :-)
nolatom likes this.
Old 08-20-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Deviation card??? You're kidding, I presume... :-) Besides the one on my own boat, I haven't seen one of those in years...

Yup, sounds familiar...

When I started out, running Marine Traders fresh off the ship from Taiwan, the sole navigation instrument aboard would be an Airguide "Saturn" compass, still stowed away in its box with a few life jackets, a flare kit, and a couple of fire extinguishers (Never did quite get the logic of naming a compass for a different planet than the one you're on, but what the hey...)

First order of business upon clearing Manasquan or Barnegat Inlet, was to set a course as straight as possible down the beach, and then duct tape the compass in a matching alignment to the proper magnetic heading...

It was pretty spooky, sometimes, how far askew that mounting bracket might be :-)

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, the first time I delivered a boat that had a depth sounder... I reckon I made the trip South a few dozen times without one...

When I finally started running boats with autopilots, then I KNEW I had truly found Paradise :-)

*depth sounder*? Woo hoo, Jon, that was the lap of electronic luxury, yeah? North of Cape Ann, off the northern Mass and New Hampshire beaches, trying to make Rye Harbor or Portsmouth in fog, iffy compass, nice sw wind, I would just sail "north, sorta" then turn left early intentionally, hit the 60-foot depth contour, turn right and follow "60" like a compass then ease left to 50 then 40 feet, and run that up to where i could hear the Rye seaboy, using the foghorn off Isles of Shoals as a rough sound reference on the way.

Maybe we should start our own thread:

"Old School deliveries while reciting John Maesfield poems, and why they were better and more pure than todays young hoodlums with their video game cockpits"

If that's too long, how about "What's a 'magnetic compass'"??

Giggle.

Last edited by nolatom; 08-20-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'll send you a picture of mine. *grin* Admittedly it's in the nav station and not laminated on the binnacle but I DO have it.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Another thing I would want in my bag would be Binoculars. Basically anything I can see previous owner grabbing on the way off the boat. 12 volt cell phone charger as well, because you will not likely be far out of cell phone range, but may be out of battery range. My cell phone eats it's battery very quickly when I into marginal range, especially if the GPS is on. I would wire up a set of alligator clips to a multi cigarette lighter outlet as well to make sure I could bypass the breaker panel if need be, and can be used to power any handheld devices like gps, and even possibly chart plotter and tiller pilot if need be. I really distrust boat electronics till they have been gone over very well.
I've been waiting for someone to mention binoculars. I didn't put them on my list because I've taken them out of my bag due to weight. I really don't use them that much any more. Now that I carry a chart plotter I know the name of the bouy I see even if I can't make out its marks. Most of the time when I use it now it is just for curiosity not navigation or safety. What do you think, necessary or nice?

Alligator clips to cig plug. Yes, Yes I've been meaning to make one. I have a multi-plug so the owner and I don't have to fight over the one plug.

Yes boat power is usually broken. I hate it when the night light for the compass is out.