Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Boat delivery list

Every so often I get a call from someone wanting help moving a boat. It is usually 50 to 150 miles, east coast, typically Long Island Sound, RI, CT, NY, NJ.
The boat would be from 25 to 35 feet. Typically these people are buying their first big boat so they don’t know much. They will come with me on the trip so the two of us will do the delivery. I’ve done it several times and find myself having the same conversation. I’m putting together a list of things I need to discuss so I can email it and not forget anything.
I know several of you have done this for years so what should I add to the list?
Did I include anything that is unnecessary?
The bold items are not negotiable. The lights are negotiable if I’ve got a really high chance of not sailing at night. The standard font items I ask about but if they don’t work depending on the details of the trip I may do the trip without them
1. Hull is sound, not making water.
2. Thru hulls don’t look like they are ready to fall off.
3. Engine runs ok, starts well, does not overheat, transmission works forward and reverse.
4. Boat can make reasonable speed under power.
5. Fuel is new or if old has been polished

6. Spare impeller and tools
7. Oil
8. Battery is holding charge.
9. Alternator putting out correct voltage
10. Navigation lights, steaming light and deck light work.
11. Standing rigging at least looks ok and seems to be reasonably tight.

12. Sails and running rigging work.
13. Reefing is working
14. Winch handles
15. Bucket, Dock lines
16. Anchor and rode
17. USCG safety equipment
18. Personal clothing (not for me for them, foul weather etc)
19. Insurance card
20. Tow boat or Boat US
21. Food (utensils), water, rags, paper towels, trash bags, toilet paper

There are several things that are needed I don’t make a fuss about as I carry them myself:
1. Charts
2. GPS
3. VHF Radio
4. Hand bearing compass

There are several things I haven’t mentioned on either list that I would like to have but I’m conflicted as to how important they are so I’ll see if someone else mentions them.

My goal is to move the boat from point A to point B. I pick good weather and motor if I have to. I'm not responsible for a full survey but the basics have to work well enough to move the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat delivery list

Provision for emergency steering, tested and working.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Provision for emergency steering, tested and working.
Yes of course, thanks.
Old 08-17-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

With any kind of good luck, you'll never need any of this, so once you make up what you want of it, you're set. This is the 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' list. ....or, 'paranoia is cheap' list.

Don't know how frequently through-hull punctures happen up there, but with all the rivers & floods there's bound to be some bad junk in the water:

Set of various-diameter tapered wooden plugs to drive into a hole in the hull, with heavy mallet for driving them. Fitted plug on lanyard next to each through-hull.

Set of plywood squares, maybe up to 1/4 sheet, with nails started on the edges, with hammer.

Fothering gear: canvas, rope & goop to cover a hole from the outside.

High-volume manual bilge pump.

Selvagee & handy-billy in case a stay or shroud lets go.
davidpm likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

What about a med kit if someone gets seriously injured?
Yes, you will usually be within VHF of CG somewhere but people have died from getting boomed by accidental jibes. That segues nicely with a preventer for the boom for downwind courses.
You can still get low dose Codeine over the counter in civilized countries like Canada, eh?
Not in the good ol' USA. Nope. No dope.

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
davidpm (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Every so often I get a call from someone wanting help moving a boat. It is usually 50 to 150 miles, east coast, typically Long Island Sound, RI, CT, NY, NJ.
Pretty short hops. Ground transportation is likely to be a bigger issue in many cases than moving the boat.

My thoughts as a delivery skipper follow. Most of my work is long haul offshore but I do my share of local moves also, mostly single-handed.

Nav lights are not negotiable. You never know what might happen except that the sun will go down.

You can never have too many fuel filters.

Ground tackle is important. Appropriate anchor, rode, snubber for chain.

Tools.

Are there enough fenders and dock lines for arrival?

Educate yourself on towing insurance. If you are being paid to move the boat your own Towboat/US policy does NOT apply, and the owner's doesn't either if he isn't aboard. I don't know the details of SeaTow policy. Towboat/US offers a separate delivery skipper policy I highly recommend.

Meals and snacks need real attention. You have to keep energy levels up. You have to be alert. On short trips you can get away with cold pizza and PBJ but there has to be enough and you have to make sure everyone, including you, eats. Good food helps make good trips. Hydration is similarly important. For short trips as you describe, a couple of gallon jugs of water is plenty in case there is a problem with the water system. If the boat water smells or tastes funny you'll want more jugs.

Other things from my own list:

Baby wipes
Spare batteries for all portable electronics
Adapters to charge phones et al from 12V

I think damage control prep is often overblown. If you have duct tape and wood screws you can manage nicely in extremis with locker doors and floatation cushions. The latter you're going to want anyway to sit on.

Remember that real problems are rarely single events. It's a cascade of two or three failures that lead to a crisis. Deal with every single thing that fails as quickly and permanently as possible, even if that means breaking off a passage.

As you're sailing think about things that might go wrong and what you would do in response. It's good practice, and when something does go wrong you'll respond more quickly.

I do a lot of owner-aboard deliveries. You have to have a discussion about who is in charge before there is a problem. Are you skipper or crew? Do they just need support or are they looking for training? Are you in a position to meet the owner's expectations? Communication is key.
nolatom, jameswilson29 and TJC45 like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
davidpm (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

One other point regarding towing insurance, is that no one company covers all areas. And, in some areas, one company dominates to a point that the competition offers only minimal coverage. That is, a call to the lesser coverage company could lead to a very long wait. That's if they respond at all. I would check coverage areas before departure. Or, carry insurance for all tow companies within your 150 mile radius of operation.
Old 08-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

All of this is a good checklist for the average boat owner, not just delivery captains.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

Educate yourself on towing insurance. If you are being paid to move the boat your own Towboat/US policy does NOT apply, and the owner's doesn't either if he isn't aboard. I don't know the details of SeaTow policy. Towboat/US offers a separate delivery skipper policy I highly recommend.
I actually had this happen once. I was able to use my insurance and no questions were asked. We only need a tow about 2 miles though.
Old 08-17-2013

I found this list also:
BoatUS Professional Captains