Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Installing thru hulls in the water??

Is it possible or advisable to install thru hull transducers with the boat in the water? I'm not due for a haul out for another year or so and I have these new instruments I'd love to install. My boat currently has depth and speed transducers installed but the speed instruments needle is gone and the depth instrument drifts up an down between 5 ft and 30ft so I'm not sold on the reliability if them so I'd like to replace them with the brand new speed and depth transducers. I thought my diver said he could install them with the boat in the water. The boat yard that did my last bottom paint said they need to haul it out. Can it safely be done in the water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing thru hulls in the water??

Is it April 1st already?
Do not drill a hole in the bottom of your boat while it is in the water.
Just in case you didn't catch that. Do not drill a hole in the bottom of your boat while it is in the water.
I can only assume your diver is also a salvage guy looking for work.
The depth you can install to shoot through the hull without drilling anything, so that's simple enough. The speed one, wait until you haul next time. The only way this would work in-water is if the existing speed transducer is one where you can pull out the transducer part and the new one exactly fits the fitting. Unlikely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

In spite of it not being a good idea to drill while in the water, I've installed quite a few transducers and thruhulls in large wooden vessels dockside.Takes a bit of planning and a diver outside and coordinated man with sharp drill inside. Both units require a length of hose long enough to reach above waterline and OD same as the hole being drilled. Any fairing blocks for transducer made and pre drilled at correct angle.Man inside drills a 3/16 hole( at correct angle) and leaves bit in hull until diver locates , covers with toilet plunger and taps on hull.Inside , the larger hole is drilled and the hose inserted. Taps on hull Diver come up, takes the gooped thuhull with a temporary long wooded plug as a handle and rams it up the hole, dislodging the hose. Inside places gooped backing plate, nut and valve on and bobs yer uncle. Diver pulls the plug and all go for beer. For transducer, inside drops a string on a nut down the hose, diver bring it up and the wire is fastened and sealed with water proof tap. The transducer with fairing block (gooped) is guided up the hole by the diver as inside retrieves the string and then the wire . Final thump of the transducer drives it home (correctly aligned ). Inside removes the hose from the wire and feeds the plate and nut down the wire to complete the installation.Faint of heart may decide to wait until haulout which for a larger vessel may be several thou. I believe in accepting monetary reward in keeping with the value of the job done .
smurphny likes this.
Old 08-17-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

are you talking about installing the new sensors in the old housing? yes
install a new housing in the hull, it can be done but not worth the money and hassle on a 30' boat. it will cost more then the haul out and install
Old 08-17-2013
Captn D

Halberdier is on a distinguished road

What is the tide in your area? Can you dry out beside a wharf and do the installation at low tide?
Old 08-17-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Installing thru hulls in the water??

I can see it being done that way, I also think I'd be in shallow water! Why would you NOT do a 'short haul' for that? (Makes me think the 'Titanic' could've been saved after all)! I want to replace my cockpit drains, and know SOMETHING is going to go wrong, soooooooooooooooooooooooo, I'll 'short haul'..02
Old 08-17-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I more than understand you want to play with your new toys.. bit what makes you think that drilling a hole in your hull while afloat is a good idea?

On a good day, your bilgepump would never keep up. You would also be rushed to get the job done and would be more likely to screw it up and then you would be stuck with a non-functioning instrament -and- an emergancy haulout to fix and replace it.

If you can't do it on a slack tide, save the money and have the boat hauled for a day

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 08-17-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I would like to chime in here

Do not drill a hole in your boat while it is in the water
Old 08-17-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

To be constructive...

Stick your depth in som silicone inside the hull. It will work fine and you can use it, set your wind instrument up, and the only thing you wait for is the speed log. That should cover your toy fix until a scheduled haul.
Old 08-17-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

I can haul it early. My question was because my diver once mentioned he could do it and mentally I didn't get it. All I could think about was a ton of water in the boat and if something went wrong it would be bad. Just thought is ask. Lol.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.