Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road
Re: Delta Anchor won't set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner62 View Post
The question now is whether to replace with a Lewmar Delta.
I used a 22 lb Delta for six years from Halifax, NS to Coco, FL and was very happy with it. 32 foot sailboat, boat length of chain, and nylon rode. I only dragged in very soft bottoms.

However, I just got a 25 lb Mantus and it's a whole new world. I don't have enough experience with it yet to say first hand that it has more holding power (although I'm pretty sure it does) but the way it sets is amazing.

With the Delta, there was always a routine in many bottoms of giving the rode a few jerks to coak the rather blunt point in and be sure it was started. This was followed by backing down and hanging around on deck a while watching shore marks when the wind or current was strong.

With the Mantus, the drill is to get the rode cleated before the boat takes up the slack because there will usually be a "twang" and hard snub if wind or current get the boat moving and you wouldn't want your fingers under the rode. Sometimes, it seems to be set before I even get all the chain on the bottom.

Watch, this is the anchor I'll finally drag ashore with someday because it's hard to remain proper vigilance when it grabs so well. I already find myself just letting it down and heading for the refreshments.

I would expect a Rocna to behave similarly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Are we talking a fastset? I have a 9 lb one, no problems setting and holding my 6500lb 28 on deck sailboat. I also have a 7.5 kg bruce that holds well too. Now danforths or there ilk.....oh boy.......I have one for sail! I have a 2.2KG lewmar claw for setting race buoys, got tired of the danforths dragging trying to hole a blinken buoy!

Marty
Old 08-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm just about to deep-six a 20kg (44lb) Delta anchor I bought less than 6 months ago. I bought it to replace the 20kg Danforth which was on the boat when I bought her. At the time I read a bunch of reviews and it seemed like the Delta was a good choice.

Since then I've literally dragged the thing from Cadiz to Sardinia. It WILL NOT SET, even in the best anchoring sand and mud bottoms. It just does not dig. Every time I dive on it, it's lying on its side (always the same side).

Doesn't seem to matter whether I try to set it fast, slow, long scope, short scope whatever.

On my other boat (similar size), I have a stainless 15kg Bruce, and it has always set, first time every time. So, I'm pretty confident it's not my technique.

The Delta was purchased from a chandlery in Cadiz, but is not a Lewmar branded product. I'm thinking it may just be a bad copy?

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of problem?

And, not wanting to start an argument :-), any suggestions on what to replace it with ?

Cheers
Dean
I have sailed several boats with Lewmar Delta and it is an anchor very easy to set. If it is not a Lewmar it is not a Delta.

The problem with a Delta is not to set the anchor (very easy) but the holding power that is bigger than a Bruce but three times less than with a Rocna or a Spade.

Throw it away and buy a decent anchor. Best investment you can have in a boat. Mine come with a Lewmar delta. Sold it for 100 euros and bought a Spade that is several times more expensive. If a Delta fits your bow roller a Spade will fit too.

On the two last nights I was on anchor on a bay, taking refuge from the Meltemi with wind topping over 35K and I felt very happy with the decision to sell the Delta at least than half price and the 400 euros that cost me the Spade have already been recovered over many nights at anchor, feeling and being safe.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 08-18-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

I had a 25 lb cqr on my last cs. Never dragged. Bought a 35 lb delta thinking it would be easier to launch. It was and then we started dragging. Anything over 20 kts and it dragged no matter how much chain I put out. Put the cqr back and gave the delta away. Will never buy one again. I have a mantus on the current boat.
Old 08-18-2013

Mariner62 is on a distinguished road
Delta Anchor won't set.

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to share your experience and ideas.

I did spend some time today with 50+m of 10mm chain scope in ~5m deep, sandy bottom. I've got 1.5m from water to roller, so that's technically more than 7:1. Took some revs to get it moving with all that chain, but still dragging along on its left hand side. It's a dud !!

I will be looking for a 'new gen' anchor. I have to buy a new one, so it makes sense to go with the latest and greatest. The final choice is more likely to be a function of what I can get in the local chandleries. Currently in Northern Sardinia, so probably not the widest choice available.

Dean
Old 08-19-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I will be looking for a 'new gen' anchor. I have to buy a new one, so it makes sense to go with the latest and greatest. The final choice is more likely to be a function of what I can get in the local chandleries. Currently in Northern Sardinia, so probably not the widest choice available.

Dean
If you cannot find a good one you can always ship one from Italy. I bought my Spade in Italy and there were two shops that would send it to my location:

Motomarine B2c R.L
info@motomarine.it

and

Paride Nautica
info@paridenautica.com

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
If you cannot find a good one you can always ship one from Italy. I bought my Spade in Italy and there were two shops that would send it to my location:Regards Paulo
Paulo, out of interest what size Spade for your girl and Euros ????

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-19-2013

Mariner62 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
If you cannot find a good one you can always ship one from Italy.
Thanks Paulo, may have to do that.
In the meantime I've promoted the old Danforth back into service!
Old 08-19-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

You're way over thinking this. It doesn't matter what side it's sitting on! It's the weight that matters. The shape is just for tradition. Just tie one end of rope off and pitch the anchor over the side. Not rocket science.
Old 08-20-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
You're way over thinking this. It doesn't matter what side it's sitting on! It's the weight that matters. The shape is just for tradition. Just tie one end of rope off and pitch the anchor over the side. Not rocket science.
Says the person with a 3K lb/$ boat! There is a bit more to it than JUST size! ALtho on a smaller boat, it is easy to go with size of anchor a bit of chain....heck, a 3 lb caffe can filled with concrete and an eyebolt worked for my 8's pram when fishing!

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.