Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013

Mariner62 is on a distinguished road
Delta Anchor won't set.

I'm just about to deep-six a 20kg (44lb) Delta anchor I bought less than 6 months ago. I bought it to replace the 20kg Danforth which was on the boat when I bought her. At the time I read a bunch of reviews and it seemed like the Delta was a good choice.

Since then I've literally dragged the thing from Cadiz to Sardinia. It WILL NOT SET, even in the best anchoring sand and mud bottoms. It just does not dig. Every time I dive on it, it's lying on its side (always the same side).

Doesn't seem to matter whether I try to set it fast, slow, long scope, short scope whatever.

On my other boat (similar size), I have a stainless 15kg Bruce, and it has always set, first time every time. So, I'm pretty confident it's not my technique.

The Delta was purchased from a chandlery in Cadiz, but is not a Lewmar branded product. I'm thinking it may just be a bad copy?

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of problem?

And, not wanting to start an argument :-), any suggestions on what to replace it with ?

Cheers
Dean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road
Re: Delta Anchor won't set.

I have a 15 kg Delta, Lewmar branded. Life-time garantuee, whatever that means. Anyhow, works most of the time. Seaweed difficult of course, but otherwise: always.

I also have a 15 kg Bruce as a stern anchor. Works good. However, prior to the Delta I did buy a 15 kg buce copy - never worked.

Conclusion: Original works, copies may work.

Lewmar makes sure one notice it is a original: label glued to the anchor (took some 2-3 years until that peeled away), and considerable documentation. Thus, a "delta" without all these ... is not an original

Suggest you get a real one. Nice to sleep well during night.

Best

/J
Old 08-17-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Given the discussions over the past couple of years, I'm surprised you ended up with any sort of delta anchor instead of one of the "new generation" types (rocna/manson supreme/mantus). Apparently they are the bees knees. Until a new one comes along of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:
fcsob (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road

You got a bad copy. I love my little Delta. It sets every time in any bottom type I find around here. (Florida)

Last year a friend of mine was in the Bahamas when a hurricane went through. He was stern to in a slip. One of the outer pilings broke off and his stern was beating against the concrete dock. He got his Delta into another boat and managed to set it and use it to pull the boat off the dock. Later the wind went to 120 kts and the Delta held the boat off with no more damage. It was a good sand bottom and a combination chain / rope rode.
Old 08-17-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Given the discussions over the past couple of years, I'm surprised you ended up with any sort of delta anchor instead of one of the "new generation" types (rocna/manson supreme/mantus). Apparently they are the bees knees. Until a new one comes along of course.
Yes, they are :-)

Quote:

Lessons Learned:

Donít accept that this is as good as it gets.

In offshore sailing we often go along for years with poor gear without ever questioning the prevailing wisdom that this is as good as it gets. Does anyone else remember that incredibly dangerous machine, the halyard reel winch? For years after the drum winch became readily available, we were told that we had to put up with this wrist breaking monster on the main halyard because it was unseamanlike to use rope halyards or have a rope to wire splice take the load when reefed. Itís hard to believe now.

Be open to new technology.

We still see the majority of cruisers out there with old style anchors when there are several much better modern designs available. The SPADE is only one option; we have heard good things about the Rocna and several other new designs.

Up-size your anchoróa lot.

We are convinced that the increase in anchor holding as size increases is far more than linear. We also think that once you get over 45kg (100lb) you enter a new world of holding and setting capability. I can hear many of you now, ďIím not putting all that weight on the bow!Ē But have you thought of going to high tensile chainóG4 or even G7ówhich will allow you to reduce at least one size on the chain and more than make up for the weight of a bigger anchor? This has been Steve Dashewís approach for years.

Donít be fooled by the tests.

The CQR and other old design anchors often do relatively well in them, but we, and many other experienced cruisers, have not had those results in the real world.

Donít let inconvenience stop you from doing the right thing.

Donít let the hassles of modifying your boatís bow roller to fit a new style anchor stop you from getting one. It will be worth the expense and aggravation, believe me.

Problems With The CQR Boat Anchor
Old 08-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Buy a Mantus. I did.

http://mantusanchors.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-17-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I have used my Delta for about 18 yrs and it always sets. I bought it because my Danforth dragged once and now I use the Delta as my primary anchor and it always works. Sand, grass, shell, rock, the Delta sets and stays set. So, now I have 3 anchors, a Delta, a Danforth and a smaller CQR. I normally use the Delta first and then either the Danforth or CQR.
Old 08-17-2013

Delta Anchor won't set.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I think I'm convinced that I have a bad copy of a Delta. It will go to Davy Jones.

The question now is whether to replace with a Lewmar Delta (I hear the good things about the genuine Delta, but I'm still a bit hesitant due to this experience!).

I will have a look at the new generation of fixed Spade anchors, and see if there is something in there which will fit without requiring bow roller modification.

Fair sailing to all !
Old 08-17-2013

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I think I'm convinced that I have a bad copy of a Delta. It will go to Davy Jones.

The question now is whether to replace with a Lewmar Delta (I hear the good things about the genuine Delta, but I'm still a bit hesitant due to this experience!).

I will have a look at the new generation of fixed Spade anchors, and see if there is something in there which will fit without requiring bow roller modification.

Fair sailing to all !
Old 08-17-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I think you have a bad copy for sure. Another reason I'm fanatical about only using name brand anchors.

I think the genuine delta is a good anchor by reputation, and though I have not used one, I would. Why not go back to a genuine bruce since you had good luck with it? You'd have to find a used one, which can be a hassle. The Lewmar copy is not as good in my opinion.

Also I have a mantus and have noticed a big improvement in short scope holding and in setting ability so far over my genuine bruce, though I never really had any real problem with the bruce either.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.