Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?

I agree with Chef here.. every little bit we can do to keep the waters clean helps.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

I use the shoreside bathrooms. Less expensive head repairs that way! On board is typically emergency only.
Old 08-18-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the comments. Interesting discussion.

I do know what the laws are in the US, and my OP is suggesting that some of our liveaboards are breaking those laws. Although I did not intend this to turn into a debate into the value of those laws, I guess it was inevitable.

Also, FWIW, the boats in my marina would not stink up the harbor by dumping their stuff. We are right in the Delaware River, not in a stagnant cove, and we have 2-3 knot tidal currents running through 24/7. That's not to say that it's right to dump your stuff illegally, but it's not the kind of nuisance that it might be in other marinas.

I do roll my eyes, however, at those who rant over the huge municipal and commercial sources of nutrients and then claim boats should be unregulated because they're such a small contributor. I believe that you can't regulate one without the regulating other, even if only for symbolism. It seems that we've crapped all over our whole planet by arguing that "what I'm dumping is such a small fraction of the whole thing." That's a dangerous attitude.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-18-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

In answer to the problems of fecal waste in the sea, the Federal Ecological Contaminant Emission System ( FECES ) has declared that all marine animals with a mass of more than 1 KG shall have at all times an accepted and approved fecal containment system in place. This containment system, or DIAPER, must be made of biodegradable materials, be made from at least 70% recycled materials, and disposed of properly.

Any marine life forms not conforming to the new FECES containment system protocols will be fined not less than $100,000.00 USD for each occurrence of discharge of contaminants.

The obama administration estimates that the government will soon balance the budget with FECES proceeds.
Ferretchaser likes this.
Old 08-18-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Our marina requires live aboards to prove at least quarterly pumpouts or that they have no MSD.

The discussion of dumping vs pumping doesn't make sense in this thread. Does anyone think that dumping in a marina with limited water flow us a good idea?
chef2sail and Dfok like this.
Old 08-18-2013
sailing soon

I am sure that no one thinks dumping in the closed marina area is a good idea. I am with several others a little bit confused at why in the world it makes a bit of difference when offshore, or outside a closed marina. Poop is poop, mine or a fishes, and my poop is not somehow more toxic in the environment than a fishes. Some of the tree hugger nutjobs think that humans are an invasive species wherever they go, they claim we are always in some other creature's environment, I want to know where the heck mine is? I can't poop, I can't eat, I can't build my nest, or do anything else without having some goofball tree hugger tell me I am invading, killing, or somehow harming the freaking planet, well humans are from this planet, this is where our environment is, and my poop is not more toxic than a polar bears poop.

Now I do not want to have my turds floating around the marina, or yours, but about the time I get 1/4 mile out from a closed small area I just do not see how mine is any worse than the freaking dolphins, sharks, whales, polar bears, or whatever other critters are pooping in the water. We need to be clean, but we need to get our heads on straight, and not be ridiculous about the laws we allow to be imposed on us by idiots who think all humans are scum, and should be eliminated from the planet so the animals would have it all to themselves. (trust me there are nuts who think that way).
Old 08-18-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Are there any jobs at this FECES organization? I'm sure I've got all the qualifications in pumping, dumping and holding to satisfy any requirements.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-18-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

There are 8 million threads with that discussion, no reason to dilute this thread with it.

We are also not going to change the laws by debating it here.
Old 08-19-2013
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

OK, good personal hygiene is what we all should consider. Dumping your sewage in your marina just plain isn't sanitary. Certain personality types cover their laziness and indifference with excuses like those mentioned.
I guess I'd have to say "get off your lazy ass and motor over to the pump out and do your adult duty " no excuses for being knowingly filthy. GROW UP
Besides knowing one of the worst things you can do to your engine is let it set for long periods, fire up and run it now and then. We live aboard and use our head on a regular basis. We pump out every 10-14 days and use the event to keep the boat in good working order.
Old 08-19-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Are there any jobs at this FECES organization? I'm sure I've got all the qualifications in pumping, dumping and holding to satisfy any requirements.
Oh Lord, it is just toooo easy...

Uhm yes, I am sure that obama has a place in FECES for you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.