Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?

The LI Sound towns and north have much better programs than the Chessie. They make it easy to pump out/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The LI Sound towns and north have much better programs than the Chessie. They make it easy to pump out/
The West and Rhode Riverkeeper runs a pumpout boat April-October, Friday-Monday. Hail the captain of the Honey Dipper and he comes to your boat at anchor, on a mooring, or in a slip. $5 per pumpout or pay $50 per season for unlimited pumpouts. Can't get more convenient than that. Wish it was available in more places.
chef2sail likes this.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 08-19-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry about it. It seems minuscule. Don't alot of cities just pump raw sewage and other stuff straight into the water? What is a couple liveaboards going to do? I mean. You're downriver from Philadelphia, Trenton and Camden. I doubt the water is sparkling. It would probably kill you to fall overboard, that liveaboards turd floating by is just the icing on the cake. I would bet money that 90% of liveaboards just dump and pump, and 50% of everyone else. I was in the marina in Honolulu for a while and I don't think they even have a pump out station.

People in Canada told me most places you are expected to dump it over the side.

If you're in a marina and still using your boat's toilet you're pretty disgusting.
Old 08-19-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
You have one guy in your marina (OP) who runs his boat AC by pumping fresh water from the hose on the dock through his AC cooling unit because he is too cheap to by a new pump. I am sure he makes up for putting fresh water in the river by crapping in it as well. Generally speaking I think people are pretty considerate -- but you just do the math: they don't have pump out facilities, the baths are unimaginably foul and no one seems to be using them . . ..
[hijack]IIRC, you've stayed at our marina before, so you may know that guy from when you were there. However, he was kicked out almost three years ago, for a whole range of incidents, but mostly because he let his dog run free on the docks, and he would crap on them - even worse than dumping your stuff in the river! The last straw was when a boat owner saw the dog crap on his finger pier and asked this guy's girlfriend to clean it up. She gave him a bunch of lip, and the marina manager kicked the guy out the next day.

By the way, the trick where he ran city water into his AC was not because of a pump problem. The river water that summer got up into the mid-80s, so his reverse cycle system could not keep up with the heat. The city water was much cooler, so his AC worked.

Two years ago this guy moved into Ulladh's marina, and got kicked out there too, presumably for the same type of stuff, although Ulladh doesn't know exactly what happened.

Last year he was the only boat at Harbor Pointe Marina (home of "The Deck"), a place so dilapidated (after Sandy struck in 2011) that its electricity was not functioning all season. He must have been pretty desperate to stay there (i.e., nobody else would take him).

This year he's been on the hard at Harbor Pointe. Depending on who you talk to, it's one of three reasons: 1) Harbor Point's marina is totally shut down, and he can't find anyone else to accept him because he has burned too many bridges, 2) Harbor Point's sling lift is broken down and can't splash anybody (apparently some people had to hire a 3rd party crane - at great expense - to come in and spash their boats), 3) He's in a dispute with the yard over what he owes, and they're refusing to move him until he pays up.

I actually feel bad for him, because he's a real personable guy who will look out for your boat as long as you don't hassle him. But he's a real wheeler-dealer, so you have to be careful with him.

The overall moral of this story is to keep karma on your side. If you piss off too many marinas you may run out of options. So don't dump your (or your dog's) crap in the marina. And don't shack up with a smarta$$ girlfriend, since she was a large part of his problem. He used to have the name of her and her son on the side of his boat, but their names are gone now, so apparently she's gone.
[/hijack]

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-19-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. It seems minuscule. Don't alot of cities just pump raw sewage and other stuff straight into the water?...
No. In the US, raw discharge of sewage was eliminated by 1996. Municipal sewage systems have been continuously upgraded, so that significant organic removal occurs from all treated sewage prior to discharge.

I know there are people here who want to believe that this is not true. They will claim that every time it rains the sewer systems overflow and dump raw sewage into our rivers and streams. But short of a massive floods like Katrina or Irene, this is not true. Storm runoff and sanitary sewage have been carried by separate systems for many decades, with only slight leakage between the two. Yes, a very heavy rain will cause agricultural runoff, but this idea that cities intentionally dump massive amounts of raw sewage into our streams is just delusional thinking by those who want to make excuses for dumping their own raw sewage off their boats.

For more info, check out EPA's info on the Clean Water Act.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013

Not true. When I lived in Honolulu there was a flood, not near Katrina and they dumped sewage down the ala wai and all over Waikiki beaches.

I also just looked up portland Oregon and they only put their new sewers in place in 2011. Up until then there got 50 dumps a year totaling an average of 6 billion gallons of raw sewage in the willamette river. Still they dump 3-4 times a year in the millions of gallons.

Here's the first thing I found for your area.

#Don't believe the signs city officials have posted at the four outfall spots that dump raw sewage into the Potomac River. The truth is much worse.
#The signs say rainfalls that are "heavy" or "long" will result in raw sewage overflowing from the city's treatment plant directly into the river. But a new permit application to state officials paints a different picture. According to information submitted to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, one of the outfalls is triggered with as much as 0.03 inches of rain.
#"The system cannot carry anything more than a slight drizzle," said Bill Skrabak, deputy director of the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services.
#City officials are in the midst of applying for a permit to allow Alexandria to continue dumping raw sewage into the Hunting Creek while a Long Term Control Plan is created. A draft permit now under consideration kicks the can down the road until 2032. But critics say the city has been dumping its human waste into the river too long, and that the time for action is now. They say city officials should take action now before the Environmental Protection Agency forces Alexandria to take action, as it has already done in the District of Columbia and a number of other cities.

I'm sure it goes on an on for most cities.
kd3pc likes this.
Old 08-19-2013

Here's from philly's own website

The combined sewer system covers almost two-thirds of the sewer service area in Philadelphia.

Overview
Serving more than three-quarters of the city's residents, the combined sewer system is in the oldest and densest parts of the city, including Center City, South Philadelphia, West Philadelphia, North Philadelphia, Bridesburg/Kensington/Richmond, East Mt. Airy and East Germantown, as well as parts of near Northeast Philadelphia.
Combined Sewer Overflows

During dry weather, the combined sewer system and wastewater treatment plants have the capacity to transport and treat all the sanitary sewage entering the system. However, when flow in the sewer increases as a result of rainfall or snowmelt, the sewer pipes or treatment plants may reach their capacity. When this happens, the EPA permits Philadelphia, as it does with other cities with combined sewer systems, to discharge excess wastewater into nearby waterbodies to prevent health and human safety issues that may result from localized flooding in neighborhoods and in treatment plants.
There are 164 combined sewer outfalls (CSOs) along the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers and the Cobbs, Tookany/Tacony-Frankford, and lower Pennypack creeks.
The unfortunate side effect of preventing flooding by allowing CSOs to discharge water is the contamination and erosion of our waterways. As stormwater travels over impervious surfaces, it picks up pollutants, and this polluted water mixes with raw sewage in the combined sewer. When there are overflows, these contaminants end up in our rivers and creeks, causing the waterbodies to be unsafe to recreate in for about 24 hours. The large rush of excess wastewater also scours river and creek beds. The pollution and scouring make it difficult for native plant and animal species to survive, giving way to invasive species and a degraded landscape.
Reducing the amount of stormwater that ends up in the combined sewer system can reduce the number of overflows, allowing our waterways to become healthier.
Related Issues
Safety
CSOs affect water quality and are often linked to flooding events, as the volume of precipitation is too great for the sewer system to accommodate.
What we're doing to address these issues
CSOcast
The purpose of this notification system is to alert the public of the possible Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs) from Philadelphia's combined sewer system outfalls. This system is based on the Philadelphia Water Department's extensive flow monitoring network that has been maintained since 1995 via level sensors that record data throughout the combined sewer system. PWD currently operates and maintains monitoring equipment at or near the 164 CSOs throughout the city.
kd3pc likes this.
Old 08-19-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
...Here's the first thing I found for your area.

#Don't believe the signs city officials have posted at the four outfall spots that dump raw sewage into the Potomac River. The truth is much worse...
Nice job of selective quoting. Now you should quote the part where they point out how the Feds are cracking down on the obsolete sewer systems and forcing them to develop a plan to comply.

Dumping raw sewage is not acceptable, and laws have been passed to make it illegal. More needs to be done. But using it to justify dumping raw sewage from your boat is delusional.

The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Locally when there is raw sewage dumped in the sound or equal, it is more due to rain water overload, or something overflowing...........Victoria BC was dumping raw sewage, may still be altho I have heard they are not into the straight of juan de fuca.

Back in the 60's, one could not literally swim in Lake Washington due to the sewage and polutants in the lake. Now you can see down 15-20' on the clearest of days. Less during a storm with typical mud dirt mixing in the water.

Also locally, it is illegal to dump overboard any style of sewage or equal from a container. Now pissing or equal over the side of the boat is legal! or in your trunks or equal.......But within IIRC 3-5 miles of shore....do not try it! or at least do not get caught!

Marty
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
No. In the US, raw discharge of sewage was eliminated by 1996. Municipal sewage systems have been continuously upgraded, so that significant organic removal occurs from all treated sewage prior .
How about you admit you were wrong. Eliminated means it doesn't happen. If I eliminate coffe from my diet, I don't drink coffee. Not I cheat and give myself an exemption whenever its convenient. You were wrong. Cities still dump. I didn't selective quote either, I didn't read the whole thing, but the artticle still stands. My point is not whether the cities are improving, i was simply trying to show that they do still dump. How about the city of Philadelphia article I posted below? That was the while thing too.
kd3pc, aldahat and Big B like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.