Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river? - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?

So your part of the problem, obviously not part of the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. It seems minuscule. Don't alot of cities just pump raw sewage and other stuff straight into the water? What is a couple liveaboards going to do? I mean. You're downriver from Philadelphia, Trenton and Camden. I doubt the water is sparkling. It would probably kill you to fall overboard, that liveaboards turd floating by is just the icing on the cake. I would bet money that 90% of liveaboards just dump and pump, and 50% of everyone else. I was in the marina in Honolulu for a while and I don't think they even have a pump out station.

People in Canada told me most places you are expected to dump it over the side.

If you're in a marina and still using your boat's toilet you're pretty disgusting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

the combined systems that Philly and NY have no choice but to dump raw water during times of extreme storms. A small thunderstorm will not do it, but when you have millions of gallons of water flowing into the system through all the storm drains, you simply cannot process it.

Is it right, no. But to individually plumb the storm drains away from the sewerage would be a major undertaking that would see most of the city streets torn up to replace pipes that were laid a century ago.

95% of the time, all the **** gets processed.

It still does not excuse people from doing it on purpose

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 08-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

No, I hardly ever even use my toilet , and when I do I use the pump outs. I just don't think of people dumping as a problem.
Old 08-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The continual problem with these issues is that people always seem to want to line up like we were going to begin a rugby match and your team must win.

There is still municipal dumping and many treatment plants only remove a percentage of organic matter, so are effectively dumping the rest everyday, rain or no rain. Around here it is effectively hundreds of thousands of gallon per day, every day. By in large, this is the cause of poor water quality, not boaters. However, boaters can't dump in confined areas either, such as harbors, and not impact that localized environment. They could most certainly dump in the middle of Naraggansett Bay and have zero impact. I even believe that the more intelligent tree huggers understand that. They just write laws that both make it easier to administer and make their supporters feel really good. Ban it all, they cry out, like a sports team pep talk! That doesn't mean the science supports it.
kd3pc likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-20-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So your part of the problem, obviously not part of the solution
so sir, those with a difference of perspective or who have first hand knowledge are the problem?

Just for the record, I don't condone dumping sewage overboard, but to prohibit dumping of electric/self contained systems that treat better than the shoreside stations, as the EPA has done, is ludicrous. Yet their rules are based on 20-25 year old technology, but no one cares.

Some of you even think that dumping tap water or chlorinated water is harmful to the "flora/fauna" of the bay. I disagree, but that does not make me the "problem"

There are a lot of solutions to this, and just because some of us don't agree or believe your's is best...does not mean we are the "problem".

Give it a rest, you blaming us makes a ton of assumptions about people you don't even know...and you know what they say about assuming?
Old 08-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
...and you know what they say about assuming?
I agree. I'm interested in hearing some real facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
...to prohibit dumping of electric/self contained systems that treat better than the shoreside stations, as the EPA has done, is ludicrous...
Please show me the data that shows that self contained systems treat better than the shoreside stations. I am not saying this is untrue, it's just that I've never seen the data. So since you made this statement without assuming, please share the data with me. I really would like to see it.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-20-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I agree. I'm interested in hearing some real facts.

Please show me the data that shows that self contained systems treat better than the shoreside stations. I am not saying this is untrue, it's just that I've never seen the data. So since you made this statement without assuming, please share the data with me. I really would like to see it.
EPA/600/R-10/008 | January 2010 | US Environmental Protection Agency /nrmrl

almost all of the research (australia has reams of data, (that we(actually the EPA) refuse to look at) indicates that the systems treat to a much higher point than the shoreside systems. This is the latest from EPA, however it is still based on 20 year old data....and the EPA has yet to "approve" it.

This is but one example, others are out there, you can look for yourself. Several of the boat mags published a report about NDZ, and lectraXXXX systems a few years ago. Once again the science was shelved in favor of do something/feel good legislation.

And then there is the sell out by the CBF and Wonderful Will Baker, that kicks the whole clean up the bay down the road for another decade or more. They had the gov't where they needed to be, and then negotiated their release.
Old 08-20-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

The WSSC says 85,000 gallons of untreated, diluted wastewater were spilled into the creek next to its Piscataway Wastewater Treatment Plant.

The sewage overflow lasted about 3 hours. WSSC officials say heavy rainfall caused the plant's capacity to be exceeded.

State environmental officials and local health officials have been notified of the spill, and signs have been posted warning people to avoid the area.

More than 44,000 gallons of sewage spilled near Goucher College in Towson before crews stopped the overflow Monday, Baltimore County public works officials say.

On Aug. 27, allowed about 100 million gallons of sewage to flow into the Patapsco River—the largest sewage spill since at least 2005.

Jenn Aiosa, Maryland senior scientist at Chesapeake Bay Foundation, said that over the long term, the impact of the sewage flows on the Bay is less significant than the contamination from runoff, streams and groundwater that occurs across the Chesapeake watershed on a daily basis.

“Any time one hears about millions of spilled sewage, it is not a good thing. But it creates a problem of perception versus reality,” Aiosa said. “We need people to be concerned about their water on a routine basis.”

So we routinely have spills in the thousands, hundreds of thousands, and millions of gallons and it is no big deal and not a major factor but some boat someplace sending 10 or 20 or 30 gallons over is a major disaster

* Ever since I was about 5 years old, we were taught to never do #2 in the marina because it is really gross and dumping a TANK instead of one head use is way worse. Not excusing anyone that does that, but the overall holding tank effort is 99% feel-good-look-at-us-doing-something while the real expensive $$$ issues go on and on and on

Last edited by Coquina; 08-20-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

"The city and Baltimore County are bound under consent decrees with state and federal regulators to halt their sewage overflows or face stiff fines. Officials say they are making progress, but the city has reported more than 360 overflows this year, spilling more than 10 million gallons of untreated wastewater into area waters. Baltimore County has tallied 148 overflows that dumped nearly 152 million gallons — two-thirds of it in a spill after a large sewer pipe blew out during Hurricane Irene in August.”

-- December 10, 2011|By Timothy B. Wheeler, The Baltimore Sun

That is 162 million gallons of raw sewage put into the Bay just from Baltimore and Baltimore County in 2011. Much of that “raw” sewage was certainly watered down by high rainfall amounts, but this is only the reported spills. It does not take into account the leaky sewers this article is about. How much sewage leaks into the Bay is unreported? And what about faulty septic systems on the Eastern Shore, or overflow sewage from the Potomac, Susquehanna and James Rivers? If we figure that 162 million gallons is only half the amount of sewage directly discharged, then we are looking at over 300 million gallons a year. That a lot – even for the Bay which contains roughly 1.7 trillion gallons of water.

Am I advocating pooping into the water around a marina? Absolutely not. But it is silly to think recreational boaters are the main source of sewage in the bay.
kd3pc likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 08-20-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

The moral of this story: The Chesapeake Bay is nasty. Boaters justify dumping their sewage overboard because the neighboring municipalities are already dumping so much that no one will notice the difference.