Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river? - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
The moral of this story: The Chesapeake Bay is nasty. Boaters justify dumping their sewage overboard because the neighboring municipalities are already dumping so much that no one will notice the difference.
Not ONE of us has advocated boaters dump their tanks..If you don't like the perspective or opinion, that is fine, but drop the assumptions.

Having had a boat on the Chesapeake for well over 40 years, I have never dumped anything in the bay, let alone sewage. Nor have I personally known a fellow boater to have done so. You too, make assumptions that are unfounded.

I DO however, encourage the use of on board treatment systems, and have had a hold-n-treat system and was, and still am confident that it's discharge (legal, btw) is cleaner and more robust than any shore side system or septic tank

Last edited by kd3pc; 08-20-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Not exaclty..........
As was told to me by a PhD Oceanographer:
With the exception of a few crowded and poorly circulating anchorages, we don't have instruments sensitive enough to detect the difference between boats using or not using holding tanks.

I sailed all over the British Virgin Islands where the water is NOT nasty and no one would ever think to use a holding tank there either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OK, so it's time to ask a question that I've often wondered about.

Our marina has several year-round liveaboards - a few on sailboats, and a couple more on motorboats. These boats NEVER leave the marina. Based on the appearance of the boats, they may not be able to go anywhere.

The people on these boats range from almost-homeless to normal, working guys trying to live a minimalist lifestyle. The normal guys are nice people, and they help the security of the marina because they're always around.

I would never ask this question to their faces, because I don't want to stir up trouble, but I do wonder what these guys do with their holding tanks. Our marina's pumpout is at the gas dock (can't come to your slip), and it rarely works anyway due to improper installation (always loses its prime because the pump is 150' away from the end of the hose).

I just suspect that these guys open their T-valves when the river current is ripping through.

So what do you think? Do any of you have liveaboards that never leave the marina? What do you suspect that they do?
I suspect that those liveaboards dump, to answer your question directly.

If a marina allows liveaboards, the marina should offer free pumpouts. In our old marina in Kemah, the best option was to have a pumpout boat come to your slip. Redfish Island Marine | Pump-Out Services

The cost, if I recall was $25.00-$30.00 for a pumpout. Kind of steep, no? If the service was free, wouldn't most liveaboards use the service? If it is unlawful to dump in an area, shouldn't pumpouts be free (or available for a reasonable fee), and should be convenient as well.

The City of Marathon has solved the problem. My hat is off to them. With a mooring (at a reasonable fee), there is a mandatory pumpout once each week. They pump different rows of moorings on different days, so you are assigned a day when you sign up for a mooring. The cost for the pumpout is $0.00! Boot Key is now pretty clean. In the past, it was a mess from what I have read. The mandatory pumpout is taken very seriously, and no one will slide for long. If a boat doesn't have a proper MSD setup, they will get nailed.

St. Augustine also has free pumpouts. Just call, and they send the pumpout boat out to your boat. Not mandatory however.

My point is that marinas should be required to offer a solution to pumpout issues. The cost of doing business.

Ralph
Water view at low tide | sailing away with R & B
Grunthrie likes this.
Old 08-20-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This is not the forum for partisan political commentary. Please abstain from making them Feel free to make them in the appropriate place where others will be willing to answer your views.
oh, okay, thank you most almighty guardian of the interwebs and supporter of some party that is not my own LOL. Get real, a joke can be made just about anywhere. Take it for what it was, a joke, and one some people thought was sort of funny.
kd3pc likes this.
Old 08-20-2013
sailing soon

When I had one of my previous boats in the marina at Port Isabel they did not have a service to pump out except at the fuel dock IIRC, but since I was not living on the boat it never made much difference. I certainly would not ever want to dump my waste overboard in a marina, that is nasty. I have absolutely no issue with someone on a boat out in the gulf dumping their tanks overboard, especially if they have a macerator system or an electrosan, I just cannot see where people poop is any worse than fish poop in open waters. I am with the others that have said that this is feel good look what we are doing legislation. Oh holy moses, I said legislation...that might be partisan political talk.
Old 08-20-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Years ago, when all boats pumped directly overboard, you had to look carefully before diving in for a swim. Great Salt Pond at Block was a perfect example...plenty of trapped, floating turds. Now the pump boat comes around frequently and the harbor is clean. This is a good thing.
Old 08-20-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Years ago, when all boats pumped directly overboard, you had to look carefully before diving in for a swim. Great Salt Pond at Block was a perfect example...plenty of trapped, floating turds. Now the pump boat comes around frequently and the harbor is clean. This is a good thing.
Where are the catfish when you need them.
Old 08-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I think this is the most important counter-argument to those who claim that boat discharges are negligible. Yes, once fully diluted, the discharge may be negligible. But at the time you discharge it, it is highly concentrated, and it can take time to mix with the other water. In a closed cove, it could hang around for days. But even in an open body like the Chesapeake, it could take hours, during which time someone could swim or waterski through it. So it might be negligible compared to other discharges, but not to the person who comes along at the wrong time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Not exaclty..........
...I sailed all over the British Virgin Islands where the water is NOT nasty and no one would ever think to use a holding tank there either.
Actually the water can be pretty nasty in Roadtown. Go into the Moorings/Sunsail/Footloose marina and walk back into the back part where they keep the Footloose boats. There's a vile smell there. I don't know whether it's from charter boats leaving their T-valves open, or from Roadtown discharging sewage into that area, but it's a most unwelcome odor, and I suspect that's why the most upscale Moorings yachts are kept at the outer part of the marina.

I've also read that things get pretty stinky over by Conch Charters, but I have not been over there to personally witness it.

My point is that you can even stink up paradise, especially in populated areas.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
oh, okay, thank you most almighty guardian of the interwebs and supporter of some party that is not my own LOL. Get real, a joke can be made just about anywhere. Take it for what it was, a joke, and one some people thought was sort of funny.
Mark not that I am the guardian of the internet and no need to be sarcastic about it. I like a spirited political argument like the best of them. But starting on Obama here in these forums will lead others like me to answer in kind about other inept politicians and then these threads turn political. All I was asking is that these forums be kept pristine of the Obama comments or any other political banter for others who don't want to read it here and take it to the political forum

However if you don't have the maturity to see that point of view it will be met with equal and opposite political banter until the mods see fit to stop it. Either solution works for me.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-21-2013
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

still full of yourself