Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river? - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?

Technically the US Navy is still exempt from MARPOL

Shipboard Pollution Control: U.S. Navy Compliance with MARPOL Annex V
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I don't think *anyone* is making an arguement that dumping in crowded poorly flushed areas is a good idea. THAT is where an MSD is a real help. For the other 99% of the waterways, not so much. For example, my marina is a dug out basin with one narrow entrance. The one farging icehole that dumped a holding tank in there pretty much did the same thing as dumping it in a swimming pool
As for the rest of Kent Island, we have failing septics all over the southern end of the island that are pretty much running into ditches and out into the Bay. I have heard on the down-low that some homeowners have run their sewer lines straight into the nearest creek because their drain fields no longer work
So.......pretty much every boat on the island could not come CLOSE to what every house "contributes"

As for stinky harbors in Tortola, when we got there the place REEKED of diesel. We had to run around the marina with a bottle of Joy to try and get the smell down enough to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I think this is the most important counter-argument to those who claim that boat discharges are negligible. Yes, once fully diluted, the discharge may be negligible. But at the time you discharge it, it is highly concentrated, and it can take time to mix with the other water. In a closed cove, it could hang around for days. But even in an open body like the Chesapeake, it could take hours, during which time someone could swim or waterski through it. So it might be negligible compared to other discharges, but not to the person who comes along at the wrong time.

Actually the water can be pretty nasty in Roadtown. Go into the Moorings/Sunsail/Footloose marina and walk back into the back part where they keep the Footloose boats. There's a vile smell there. I don't know whether it's from charter boats leaving their T-valves open, or from Roadtown discharging sewage into that area, but it's a most unwelcome odor, and I suspect that's why the most upscale Moorings yachts are kept at the outer part of the marina.

I've also read that things get pretty stinky over by Conch Charters, but I have not been over there to personally witness it.

My point is that you can even stink up paradise, especially in populated areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Perhaps the problem with dumping in the marina can be explained by the improper mounting of the actual head, as shown in this ad which I found in another thread.

Old 08-25-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Mark not that I am the guardian of the internet and no need to be sarcastic about it. I like a spirited political argument like the best of them. But starting on Obama here in these forums will lead others like me to answer in kind about other inept politicians and then these threads turn political. All I was asking is that these forums be kept pristine of the Obama comments or any other political banter for others who don't want to read it here and take it to the political forum

However if you don't have the maturity to see that point of view it will be met with equal and opposite political banter until the mods see fit to stop it. Either solution works for me.
Where's the dislike button? The guy cracked a one-liner and no one took the bait. The original joke was more predicated on federal spending and ineptness et al, not specific to the current head of state. You didn't object to bad-mouthing the EPA, which is a much more politically charged topic.
just my $0.02, please don't blow a gasket.
Old 08-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunthrie View Post
Where's the dislike button? The guy cracked a one-liner and no one took the bait. The original joke was more predicated on federal spending and ineptness et al, not specific to the current head of state. You didn't object to bad-mouthing the EPA, which is a much more politically charged topic.
just my $0.02, please don't blow a gasket.
Obviously your myopic blinders are in place. Read a few more of the threads. Try the politics one. I don't diss the EPA either.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-25-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their "s@!^" in the river?

Oh, please!
Where does someone's dog do their thing? Where does the cats' "stuff" go? All the wild animals and birds do their thing outdoors, I believe. And just exactly where do you think all that "s@!^" goes when it rains?
A half dozen liveaboards are not the problem.
When the sewage treatment plants have problems they dump massive amounts of untreated human excrement into the rivers and bays of the US, secretly and without fanfare.
The aged sewer system in Ft. Lauderdale leaks huge quantities of raw sewage into the waters of the Las Olas Isles area, but the city blames the yachts for all the pollution. In the late 60's California was all over the liveaboards in Sausalito about pollution while the farms and factories up the rivers were dumping huge quantities of truly toxic stuff in the rivers, which then flowed into the bay. I'm sure it is the same all over the country.
Most liveaboards are extremely conscious the environment we live in. We were using biodegradable products long before mainstream America had ever heard the word biodegradable!.
I get so tired of being the target of every government agency that puts pollution on the boaters because their administration doesn't want to foot the bill to repair or replace aging sewage systems.
Whatever we may or may not be putting in the water around us is infinitesimal compared to that dumped by modern society.
kd3pc and smurphny like this.
Old 08-25-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Oh, please!
Where does someone's dog do their thing? Where does the cats' "stuff" go? All the wild animals and birds do their thing outdoors, I believe. And just exactly where do you think all that "s@!^" goes when it rains?
A half dozen liveaboards are not the problem.
When the sewage treatment plants have problems they dump massive amounts of untreated human excrement into the rivers and bays of the US, secretly and without fanfare.
The aged sewer system in Ft. Lauderdale leaks huge quantities of raw sewage into the waters of the Las Olas Isles area, but the city blames the yachts for all the pollution. In the late 60's California was all over the liveaboards in Sausalito about pollution while the farms and factories up the rivers were dumping huge quantities of truly toxic stuff in the rivers, which then flowed into the bay. I'm sure it is the same all over the country.
Most liveaboards are extremely conscious the environment we live in. We were using biodegradable products long before mainstream America had ever heard the word biodegradable!.
I get so tired of being the target of every government agency that puts pollution on the boaters because their administration doesn't want to foot the bill to repair or replace aging sewage systems.
Whatever we may or may not be putting in the water around us is infinitesimal compared to that dumped by modern society.
Nice little rant. Unfortunately I can't find your answer through all the bluster.

Are you a dumper or a pumper?

From your defensive tone, I'll guess that you're a dumper.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-25-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

NEWS FLASH! Gov't gives boaters a new service.... the Sanitary Head Instruction Team. They thought we needed more #### from them.
kd3pc likes this.
Old 08-25-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
NEWS FLASH! Gov't gives boaters a new service.... the Sanitary Head Instruction Team. They thought we needed more #### from them.
Oh, this is just one of the many services of the US FECES team. Feces operates the Sanitary Head Instruction Team, the People's Onboard Olfactory Protection Department, the Transportation Urinal Regulatory Department, and many more to come.
kd3pc likes this.
Old 08-26-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Nice little rant. Unfortunately I can't find your answer through all the bluster.
Are you a dumper or a pumper?
From your defensive tone, I'll guess that you're a dumper.
I live in the Caribbean where pump out stations a tad few and far between, so you can guess whatever you damn well please; I am not the problem.
I was living aboard long before any of this was an issue and have seen us become the scapegoat for every powerful company's and municipality's waste, and Oh hell, never mind, you just don't get it anyway....