Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river? - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
With this topic, it's always the livaboards that get 'dumped' on.

Back at my last marina, we made the effort to get to the gas dock to pump out. But there were weekenders who took their boats to the gas dock regularly for fuel, who never pumped out, never. There were about a dozen livaboards in a 750 slip marina. Who do you think was do-do-ing in the water?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?

None of the livaboards in my marina EVER move. EVER. I assume the mobile pumpout truck takes care of them. I really hope so. My wife is not so trusting and does not allow me to scuba dive in the slip. We have to head out and anchor someplace for bottom cleaning. I actually think the "phantom pooper" that we used to have was not one of the liveaboards. No one who stays here every day would want that stench. We had to dig out the ice-eaters to aerate the water to digest all that stuff. What I think most of the liveaboards do is just head up to the bath house for #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2013

dave c is on a distinguished road

Here in Florida we have pumpout/holding tank laws, go offshore 2 miles from Hollywood and there is an area called the Stinkhole, a pipe constantly discharging untold amounts of "treated' water into the sea. Go out there and smell what it smells like on open water and tell me if this "legal" dumping is acceptable. Yes its bad when liveaboards dump but I think worse when the government lets this kind of dumping go on. I wish I had some pictures of Ft. Lauderdale reefs when I started scuba diving in the late 1980s. Now they look totally different. Pretty sad I think. We won't even talk about Cruise ships and their legal and illegal dumpings that go on!
Old 09-01-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post

My point is that marinas should be required to offer a solution to pumpout issues. The cost of doing business.

Ralph
Water view at low tide | sailing away with R & B
Yes, exactly. For what a slip or mooring costs on a per day/month basis pumpout should certainly be planned for and included, especially for full-time liveabords, triply so if a 'liveaboard fee' is included in slip/mooring rental.
Old 09-02-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

TakeFive,

You said something, it was proven to be wrong, then you tried to infer that you actually said something else.

I suggest this, but do what you will... When someone corrects you, thank them and move on. When it's about the learning everyone wins.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 09-02-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I built in a composting head last year. It works really well. The main attribute of this system is being able to go a long time between cleanouts. Instead of pumping out large quantities of reeking sewage water every few days, the composting process lengthens the disposal period to a month, maybe more. It never develops the obnoxious, penetrating odor aboard of mixed urine, water, and crap. With the long cycle time, it's usually possible to dump the composted waste overboard offshore.
The main problem with any kind of dumping overboard is doing it in confined bodies of water. Whether holding tank or direct overboard heads, the problem is with dealing with the large quantity of material which is mostly flush water and the frequent pumpouts required. In confined harbors, adopting the composting idea might solve a lot of the liveaboard sewage problems.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 09-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm not a big fan of composters, but acknowledge they have their place. My biggest issue is having guests use them properly or want to use them at all. Making a deposit on top of the last guys deposit would not make some happy. Kind of outhouse-like.

Dumping a composter offshore was something I had not considered. The debate usually ends up with he partially composted waste in a dumpster. Yuk.

When you dump offshore, does the compost float? As I've posted many times, I find the 3 mile offshore NDZ laws to be ridiculous for small recreational boaters. However, if the compost is going to float in a mass onto shore, as opposed to instantly dilute into trillions of gallons of water, I would feel differently.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-02-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The compost disseminates and sinks pretty quickly when sent overboard and is unlikely to float 3 miles into shore. It contains no chemicals, only coconut coir and decomposing poop and paper, so is little different than a direct discharge head. It can also be easily stored in a 5 gallon spackle bucket and unlike usual holding tank storage, has no tendency smell badly. I agree that putting it in a dumpster is a little yucky and so will wait to discard when beyond the dumping limit.

Some people use this kind of compost in their gardens I think I'll continue to get my gardening supplies at the store or from the local dairy farm. It's interesting to think why cow poop is less yucky than hu-poop.

My built-in has a panel that can be slid out of the way after sitting so the user does not have to look down into the scary depths of the bucket. Actually once the stirring rod turns the stuff over, it just looks like a bucket full of peat moss and has about the same kind of odor. It's really not disgusting like one of the chem toilets or an open pit hiking trail toilet. Nonetheless, those of faint heart may be initially intimidated.
Old 09-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
..... It's interesting to think why cow poop is less yucky than hu-poop....
Different bacterias for starters, human being nastier. More important are different diets. Human waste containes the cocktail of chemicals from ordinary grocery shelf items. You know, those ingredients we can't even pronounce. Not to mention pharmaceuticals.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-02-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Unless you are buying very expensive organic meat (and maybe not even then) you are buying meat full of anti-biotics and a wide array of growth hormones.