SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pirate Survives Hurricane, vessel unknown

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DuaneIsing 
#1 ·
Ahoy me matey''s , tis been a bit of a rough blow in me ports of call and me spirits be low. Me vessel was left hobbled and stripped of canvas last thursday and I haven''t been allowed back onto Pine Island since and have no word on her condition. We just got power back at home and the tv pictures are not helping my anxiety any. I cannot tell you how painfull the entire experience has been but we are thankfull that we and our neighbors are alive. Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte, Sanibel, Pine Island, and Fort Myers beach are a mess. Cape Coral has damage from one end to the other and being the forth largest city in land mass in Florida ought to tell you something. I will post pictures as soon as I can get out to my island hideaway. God Bless everyone , fair winds, and good holding ground to all. Pirate of Pine Island

#2 ·
BR56,

Thanks for the update, and glad to know that at least you and yours are safe and sound. I have wondered about you and some others down that way -- Duane Ising in particular, who just moved to Punta Gorda Isles a few months ago. The paper up here had a photo of Pine Island the other day, but I couldn''t make out a pirate flag still attached to any of the boats. But after all, boats can be replaced, but not people........especially POPI!

#3 ·
Big Red

I am just happy to hear that you and yours have come through unscathed, that is the important part. I have been watching the board hoping you would report in, since "Charley" went through there. I have to think that some of the other folks have been having as much trouble signing in and then getting back in here to post, as I have. I am sure you will hear from more of us.

We will be waiting to hear if the hook held.

Walt Ward ------ Northwest Lower Michigan

#4 ·
Ahoy Bigred56,
It''s a blessed relief to know you, yours, and your neighbors are alive and well.
I pray the love of God lift your spirits and comforts you, and that you suffer no loss.

Fair weather,

#8 ·
Ahoy me mateys, Well me vessel survived with damage to the rigging from flying debris and I lost the bowsprit, mainsheet and some minor hull damage fron the pilings. Thank god the storm surge of 6 feet was two feet short of the tops of the four main pilings. The hull appears intact after pumping out a foot of water in the cabin. Alls well and can be fixed. Unlike me. Pirate of Pine Island.

#9 ·
Ahoy, BigRed. My connection to the Internet has been horrible to nonexistent since charley, but I finally got through. So glad to hear you are OK, despite the boat damage.

Our community in Punta Gorda a few dozen miles north of you was devastated, as you know. Hopefully, we can get a roof, windows, and doors in the next 2-3 months.

As for our new-to-us boat (1999 Catalina 36), our neighbor''s 46 foot powerboat broke loose and smashed her good. She''s on the hard at Gasparilla Marine awaiting new: rudder, stanchions, lifelines, bow and stern pulpits, roller furler, backstay. She''ll also need some serous hull repair where the powerboat smashed her at the stern quarter cleat, not to mention gelcoat repair where she rubbed against the seawall for a few hours.

I read of your offer of assistance and that is much appreciated. We''re cleaned up as best we can do; now we have to await the contractors who can fix the damage. If the boat gets repaired in a decent time frame, we might just decide to take off for a series of several week cruises and check back in on the house progress. When this is all over, I might be selling pencils on a street corner, but what the hell.

Stay well, Pirate, and the rest of you out there, too.

Duane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.