Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013

EriCS is on a distinguished road
Looking to sail again! Need some advice

Hello members, I'm interested in sailing again and purchasing my own vessel in the near future. To give you my background I sailed with my step father as a child a bit and was fortunate to gain interest in my late twenties until my he passed a few years ago. I am currently 32 with a job that provides decent and allows me to have free time considering I have a rotating schedule which includes night shifts. In more depth I sailed weekends and did some club racing on his boat with him for about 3-4 years. Before he passed away I started to take his boat (30 ft Saber) out with some friends on small sails. The body of water was the Long Island right outside of City Island. I have also attended a Power Squadron course years ago that taught me basic seamanship and navigation skills. I am definitely interested in freshening up considering its been about 5 years since I sailed.
My questions are what do you recommend me purchasing? I was looking at J24's but am second guessing them due to their difficulties in sailing solo. I figured there definitely not as comfortable of a boat to take friends and the wife out either considering their design and that there wet. I considered c&c's, Pearson, or a tartan as a possible choice.. I am not really interested in mass produced boats and am looking in the 25-28' range. I would like something that's strong, fast, and comfortable when it needs to be. Something I can fit 4-6 people and sail solo. As far as price I would like to spend around 7/k range give or take a few. I have always been handy and also am an electrician by trade and would like to save by purchasing something that needs a little tlc but nothing that's a can of worms. I don't have any experience repairing boats but there a lot of resources available. I read up on how to repair delaminates decks and hulls and I really think I can do it without much trouble, I will learn as I go.

In regards to cost of owning a boat I am pretty much green on. I would like to have it on a mooring on the sound instead of a slip to save some cash. What would a boat like this cost to have on a mooring? How about winter storage and hauling? What could I expect to spend a annual maintenance? Obviously a boat that needs some work will need some spending but I am aware of that. I am curious about general maintenance annually or an average cost for a boat in that size. What other recommendations? I also considered j22 as a day sailor and maybe trailering it. I obviously would have little space on that boat and in my driveway but I assume it would be cheaper all around to sail it. Suggestions or advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to sail again! Need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriCS View Post
My questions are what do you recommend me purchasing? ...
Welcome to SailNet. You will probably get a lot of suggestions but in the end it is an extremely personal decision. You mention a wife. I highly suggest that you find out if she is interested in being an active sailing partner. You'd be surprised at the number of men who have this dream and don't even think to ask. If she is for it, let her be part of the decision process so that she is also informed and has a say in what boat features you decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriCS View Post

In regards to cost of owning a boat I am pretty much green on. I would like to have it on a mooring on the sound instead of a slip to save some cash. What would a boat like this cost to have on a mooring? How about winter storage and hauling? What could I expect to spend a annual maintenance? Obviously a boat that needs some work will need some spending but I am aware of that. I am curious about general maintenance annually or an average cost for a boat in that size. What other recommendations? I also considered j22 as a day sailor and maybe trailering it. I obviously would have little space on that boat and in my driveway but I assume it would be cheaper all around to sail it. Suggestions or advice welcome!
Decide on your size range then locate marinas online where you want to have your base. Most of them these days post their slip fees and base labor costs on their websites.

As for annual maintenance, no real way to determine that cost until you figure out how close to a project your boat is. The better the previous owner took care of it, the less your immediate repair costs and subsequently your maintenance costs will be.

A trailerable boat is usually the least expensive as far as storage is concerned. When we had our 22 footer we kept it in a slip and the marina stored it on its trailer over the winter. I hated actually trailering the boat so I left it at the marina.

Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-18-2013

Thanks! Yes my wife sailed with me and my stepfatherand she really enjoyed it. I don't think a j24 will suit her as well as a child someday either so I guess I'm answering my own question. Do you think my price range is enough to get something in fair condition? I know the larger I go the more it will be on my budget. I just don't want to get something to small but its also my first boat... Hmmmm
Old 08-18-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Any sailing clubs nearby where you can get a taste of different boats? Boat-rentals?
What do you think your primary sailing will be: racing, day sailing, overnighting, extended coastal cruising?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-18-2013

Probably just day sailing for now. It's hard to tell where this hobby will take me? I am assuming I would eventually like to race once I know how to sail better and plot courses. I also could see myself doing overnight trips. I'm sure my adventuring will grow as my experience does.
Old 08-18-2013

Yes there is a several clubs in the area. I'm trying to get in touch with some guys my stepfather knew to see if they know of anybody looking for a crew member. Maybe that's a good ticket to try different boats.
Old 08-18-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

North or south side of LI Sound?

Typical yearly costs of owning a 27' boat might be:
$1500 for hauling, winter storage and splash
for a mooring, as low as
$300 to $$$
or as high as:
$3500 for a slip for the summer.
Insurance: ~$350-500
============
X,XXX.xx
That is your minimum budget for the year.

I think that donna makes some good points. You have to find the boat that speaks to you (and your wife or gf).
Bigger boats do cost more as everything is priced by the length of the boat. 27' feet is a good size to start in that can still be single handed and allow for some overnight trips.

There are quite a number of boat makes in your price range near 27' (Catalina, Tartan, O'day, Hunter, Bristol ....). I'm partial to the Tartan 27' having owned one for 10 years.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-19-2013

Just spoke to my former employer who is an avid sailor for suggestions. He not surprisingly thinks I should start off small in case I find its too much to maintain and keep financially. He offered me a rhodes 19 for almost free. He just wants me to cover the cost of his outboard whichnisonly a couple hundred bucks. What do you think I should do? It's not. Bad idea for sure bit don't really know if I will be happy with a smaller but but I guess I can't lose much having it and could always upgrade. How do they sail? I Know there a full keel but so I know there stable.
Old 08-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Rhodes 19' spec: RHODES 19 FK sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

A trailer able boat like this can save you a boat load on winter storage.
Not much in the way of sleeping berths but a decent sailor.
I'm not so sure about putting 6 in the cockpit either; 4 is more like the max crew with 2 being ideal.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-19-2013

True! I honestly feel like I won't be satisfied with a boat of this size. My brother has an 18' Catalina or Capri and its definitely small. What do you think about a j24 as a choice? It's not that comfy and never sailed one but it seems like a blast and it sails well in light wind. Plus it's only 24' which will help on storage during the winter. I am curious to know how much sails are for a boat like this compared to other in this range? I'm not planning on doing any competitive racing.