SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Most of you know how I feel about waving, right? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/102708-most-you-know-how-i-feel-about-waving-right.html)

flyingwelshman 08-18-2013 09:28 PM

Most of you know how I feel about waving, right?

So this morning I hauled up the anchor and started to head out onto the Bay.

A sailor was on his foredeck and was waving vigorously at me.

I couldn't help but notice that the other boat was also a Hunter. Maybe the guy wanted to acknowledge my exquisite choice in vessels?

I saw a Polish courtesy flag fluttering from the spreader. Perhaps his exuberant gesticulations were common in his Eastern European homeland.

Regardless of his motives I was moved by this display of nautical camaraderie - so much so that I returned the salutation. And I'm not talking the discrete finger wiggle or halfhearted hand flip: I mean I went to town with a full-arm-extension-from the shoulder 180 arc, including a broad smile to boot!

The recipient of my uncharacteristic but heart-felt response continued to wave in what seemed an increasingly frantic, and apparently incoherent manner.

It was at this point that I recognized that he hadn't been waving to me at all....

The waving sailor was hauling up his anchor while giving hand-directions to the person on his helm.:o

sailordave 08-18-2013 09:30 PM

Re: Most of you know how I feel about waving, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingwelshman (Post 1075867)
So this morning I hauled up the anchor and started to head out onto the Bay.

A sailor was on his foredeck and was waving vigorously at me.

I couldn't help but notice that the other boat was also a Hunter. Maybe the guy wanted to acknowledge my exquisite choice in vessels?

I saw a Polish courtesy flag fluttering from the spreader. Perhaps his exuberant gesticulations were common in his Eastern European homeland.

Regardless of his motives I was moved by this display of nautical camaraderie - so much so that I returned the salutation. And I'm not talking the discrete finger wiggle or halfhearted hand flip: I mean I went to town with a full-arm-extension-from the shoulder 180 arc, including a broad smile to boot!

The recipient of my uncharacteristic but heart-felt response continued to wave in what seemed an increasingly frantic, and apparently incoherent manner.

It was at this point that I recognized that he hadn't been waving to me at all....

The waving sailor was hauling up his anchor while giving hand-directions to the person on his helm.:o

And here I thought you were going to say it was a ONE ARMED SAILOR giving the Distress signal!:laugher

sawingknots 08-18-2013 09:51 PM

i'll give you the proverbial salute when I see/pass you

flyingwelshman 08-18-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 1075886)
i'll give you the proverbial salute when I see/pass you

I can't win!

When I don't wave I get all kinds of abuse: name calling; threats of violence etc.

And when I do wave, what do I get? Seems like same old same old....

sawingknots 08-18-2013 10:13 PM

zombies and all,if some one waves,i wave back,its not a really big deal to me

weinie 08-18-2013 10:39 PM

Good thing you don't ride motorcycles! They'd call you a one percenter!

capta 08-18-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingwelshman (Post 1075893)
I can't win!

When I don't wave I get all kinds of abuse: name calling; threats of violence etc.

And when I do wave, what do I get? Seems like same old same old....

That thread was one of my first posts ever on the internet and being one of the two who agreed with you, I received the same "abuse: name calling; threats of violence etc." you are referring to. Freaked me right out, let me tell you.
Fast forward a couple of years in the Caribbean and I guess it was just easier to join the crowd. After all, about half the boats that wave as we travel inter-island, are going to be in the next anchorage that evening and we certainly wouldn't want everybody knowing I'm a crotchety old fart, wouldn't we?
I probably won't be the one to initiate the wave, but if you do, my arm will lift, as if by magic, and it will appear to all that I am not really such a bad guy.

rbrasi 08-18-2013 11:31 PM

I saw a guy wave to me as I passed astern of him. Then I heard the fishing reel spin, followed by ' way to go, a$$hole'.

MarkofSeaLife 08-19-2013 12:01 AM

I wave at everyone I pass. Not because I am an imbicile but because I like a happy world. :)

Here in Grenada I say Good Morning or Good Afternoon to ever local (or tourist/cruiser) I pass.
Getting onto any bus I always say to the other passengers Good Morning or Good Afternoon. Its expected down here and I love it.

If its such a pain in the butt for someone to wave back at me it shows me what sort of difficult life they are living and how destitute as people they are. So I keep on waving at them till they respond. This way I hope to give them encouragement to enjoy life :)

arf145 08-19-2013 12:08 AM

So essentially, you were waving at someone who wasn't waving at you--you initiated a wave. I think you've broken through! :)