SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lateen rig points

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  krisscross 
#1 ·
I have bought a small boat with a lateen rig. It is a 15 foot Dolphin Senior:
DOLPHIN 15 SENIOR sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Since I'm new to this kind of a rig (have been sailing sloop boats only), what are the advantages, disadvantages, and things to watch for when it comes to sail trim and so forth? Have sailed it yesterday and observed that it does not point very well.
I really bought the trailer the boat was on so I will likely sell this boat really cheap, unless it grows on me. :cool:

#2 ·
From my years of sailing Sunfish I can say...
advantages = simple rig, easy to set up and take down, easily beached, will plane on a broad reach in about 10+ knots of wind, good boat for learning to sail

disadvantages = not great pointing ability, lateen rig compromised on one tack where the sail meets the mast, no easy way to throw in a reef that I know of.

Overall it should be a fun but wet boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.